Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How many wins will the Bengals have in 2008?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 6

19 25.00%

13 17.11%

18 23.68%

4 5.26%

10 13.16%

11 14.47%

1 1.32%
  • More than 11

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bengals Predictions for 2008

Re: Bengals Predictions for 2008

Madden rating? That's how we judge people?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Bengals were "lookin' tough" (Dazed and Confused) tonight. Wow. Just wow.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    The Bengals were "lookin' tough" (Dazed and Confused) tonight. Wow. Just wow.
    The O-Line should be embarrassed by the pounding that Palmer has taken this preseason.

Palmer had a bloody nose and lip after getting sacked late in the second quarter.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Madden rating? That's how we judge people?
    It can't be that far from the truth.

Jeremi Johnson is a lead blocker. Relative to his role, he is a great fullback. If he were asked to be a different type of player (i.e. Mike Alstott-type), he wouldn't be all that great. There's a reason Jeremi Johnson signed a contract to be the highest-paid fullback in the NFL, and it's not solely based on Mike Brown being an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I think they're going to be atrocius this year.
    It's not a very friendly schedule.

And neither is the schedule my Brownies are facing.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

9-7

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    The O-Line should be embarrassed by the pounding that Palmer has taken this preseason.

Palmer had a bloody nose and lip after getting sacked late in the second quarter.
    Yesterdays game was bad, he was getting the crud kicked out of him for the entire 1st half. He was rushing almost every pass, and really didn't have much time. I'm not sure how he got that face full of blood, it looked like Kasevaharn got him from the side, not the front. Maybe he caught a spike in the face or something. Either way, the O-line is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Either way, the O-line is terrible.
    I'm not sure if you meant to say the O-Line played terrible, or if they are in fact actually terrible, because I agree with the former, not so much on the latter.

Last year this same unit set a franchise record in fewest sacks allowed with 17 (17!), despite playing teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore twice. Also, they were able to spring Kenny Watson for 4.3 ypc (Rudi J was individually awful, IMO). They're all behemoths of men, even for NFL players, and have athleticism to boot (just watch Whitworth pull and then blow someone up sometime, it's fun as hell). While these past two pre-season games haven't inspired much confidence, their performance in the regular season just last year does. I'm not too worried about the O-Line just yet.

The defense on the other hand...
    Last edited by Screwball; 08-24-2008 at 03:30 PM.

I hope everyone who believes the O-line is good is correct, because I just don't see it. I see them as a huge liability.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I was just reading Bengals.com and the one article is saying that Palmer broke/cracked a bone in his nose and had to get it fixed last night.

Hopefully the players on the O-Line seeing Palmer all bloody will get them to start playing how they can play and now how they have been playing.

If they were unstoppable right now everyone would talk about how it's just preseason and it really doesn't matter. Vanilla style of play and all of that.

Just sayin...

I see 9-7 with reasonable health. They have issues, plenty of issues, but outside of road games at Pittsburgh, Dallas, adn Indy. I think every other game is extremely winnable, especially the home schedule. I can see them going 6-2 at home without having to play that great of football. 3-5 on the road would get them 9-7.

They should beat Baltimore twice and split with Cleveland. If they can find a way to beat the Steelers at home, they can get over .500 IMO.

We'll know pretty quickly. I think a 3-1 start is highly doable, and would set a nice tone. 1-3 and they're cooked.
    Last edited by guttle11; 08-24-2008 at 04:53 PM.

I voted 6 wins, but it might be less than that. I'm going into the year with low expectations, that way I wont be disappionted. Although after last night (I know its just preseason) but I may still be disappointed yet again.
    because at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up--Marty B.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUredsFAN View Post
    I voted 6 wins, but it might be less than that. I'm going into the year with low expectations, that way I wont be disappionted. Although after last night (I know its just preseason) but I may still be disappointed yet again.
    Same here. I went with 6, and I'll be fully shocked if they manage to win more than 8.

I have to be optimistic it just doesn't make any sense to me to be negative, just because you are concerned that they will make you pay for being optimistic.

There was quite a few issues with last years team and yet they come out with 7-9? R U serious, 7-9? With an O-Line that was constantly in a state of flux? Without their 2 top rb's for nearly all season, or banged up badly when they were? W/O that 3rd reliable receiving threat to keep defense from doubling and sometimes tripling down on your starters? Oh wait there was a good 3rd WR, he was also known as the the 3rd string/starting RB. With a completely decimated LB corps that saw guys getting a majority of snaps that frankly are not very good? Or the fact that at times all we had were 2 healthy LB's? How about using our best pass rushing D-Lineman to play LB, thus more or less weakening 2 spots?

Injuries, Injuries, Injuries oh my. I'll say this we couldn't get a much worse situation than we had last season unless we lost the 1 irreplaceable guy on the roster.
    (<----Knocks on wood)

Yet we still won 7-9 out of nine games? Wow, ya know I hate when Lance Mcallister brings up that "Every NFL team has injuries". Sure they do but they don't often have a mash unit with a full staff set up outside the lockeroom. You lose both your starting offensive tackles alone for the majority of the season most teams don't sniff 7-9, but add to that fact that we also lost all of our roster LB's at one point or another. Sure we still do need a pass rush and I am skeptical that Odom when he gets healthy will provide such a boost that it fixes the issue alltogether or even a majority. But I think the pass rush will be better than last years and hopefully the RB's we keep will stay healthy.

I have to go with 10-6 although I suspect we won't be that great early on, on either side of the ball. After the 1st 6 games I see us @ 3-3 but just starting to jell, fortunately the easy part of the schedule is the beginning. It's tougher in the middle and doesn't let up much after that. However I think the defense improves a great deal after that run of NYG, Cleveland, Dallas, NYJ.

Here's the schedule for anyone who needs it: (Also my predictions)

Week 1 - @ Baltimore - W
    Week 2 - vs. Tenn - W
    Week 3 - @ NYG - L
    Week 4 - vs. Cleveland - L
    Week 5 - @ Dallas - L
    Week 6 - @ NYJ - W
    Week 7 - vs. Steelers - W
    Week 8 - BYE
    Week 9 - vs. Jaguars - L
    Week 10 - @ Texans - W
    Week 11 - vs. Eagles - W
    Week 12 - @ Steelers - L
    Week 13 - vs. Baltimore - W
    Week 14 - @ Indianapolis - L
    Week 15 - vs. Redskins - W
    Week 16 - @ Cleveland - W
    Week 17 - vs. K.C. - W

Of course this is assuming we don't have a massive rash of injuries like last season. But my gut says we will be ok.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?