Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds Top 25 Prospects- August Edition

Re: Reds Top 25 Prospects- August Edition

I also agree on Soto and Lotzkar they have that top of the line talent, now what they do with it from here out is the question. I really like Soto's chances as I have stated ad nauseum so I won't go into it again. Lotzkar who knows what with the injury and the simple fact he is so young and still far away developmentally. But I have the highest of hopes for them both obviously.

On Heisey, I agree he has no major weaknesses. However that's a double edged sword because I also don't believe he has any major strengths. What I mean by that is I think he's got average all around talent and very good intangibles. His only major tool is speed and I don't think it's quite at a Freel level, although as Doug stated he uses his speed better than Freel does. I think his ceiling is as a poor man's Denorfia, which makes him a real good 5th OF/pr/late inning defender who should give you a solid AB and won't be a complete stiff up there.

The only problem I have with the list is that Francisco is still on it. The hurdle he has before him is a monstrous one and I would venture to guess that less than 1% of ballplayers with that specific issue never even make it to AAA let alone to the bigs. Yes he has some serious talent and he has time but does he have the patience and discipline to make his weakness just palatable, I don't know but I wouldn't bet on it. Just my 2 cents but I have mostly written him off as nothing more than trade bait. Here's to hoping he proves me wrong.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think his ceiling is as a poor man's Denorfia

That's quite a poor man...

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Tool Player View Post
    That's quite a poor man...

I really think Logan Parker should rate some sort of mention. He really is turning it up a notch in Sarasota. It would say a lot about the depth of our farm system if he cannot be mentioned a top prospect.

I'd have Buck about 10 places higher, but otherwise I think you got things right. Nice work Beni.

I do believe that Henry will give us more than Mesoraco or Stubbs ever will. The only problem is, he can't play Center and will arrive in the bigs just before Alonzo, and then there's Votto, Henry, and Alonzo to play 2 spots.

The REDS have some juicy problems in their immediate future....more ready-talent than spots to play people.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-20-2008 at 02:32 AM.

Why doesn't Danny Dorn get more credit? The guy has a .967 OPS in AA @ 23 years old. What does it take to get a A rating?

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Why doesn't Danny Dorn get more credit? The guy has a .967 OPS in AA @ 23 years old. What does it take to get a A rating?
    be able to hit lefty's...

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    In a nutshell, he was a late-round draft pick, doesn't have much speed, plays poor defense, and can't hit left-handed pitching. Still, there's a lot to like. He's on pretty much everyone's sleeper list.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    be able to hit lefty's...
    Yonder Alonso has an A rating.

Ramon Ramirez deserves a mention somewhere?

And I agree that Thompson remains a B prospect for now...

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    In a nutshell, he was a late-round draft pick, doesn't have much speed, plays poor defense, and can't hit left-handed pitching. Still, there's a lot to like. He's on pretty much everyone's sleeper list.
    I asked some time ago of the Minors guru Doug, about Dorn's defense. His answer was that Dorn would definately be an up-grade from Dunn. Extrapolate his numbers for a full season, and he's a 35HR, .265-.285 avg. guy. He's been high on my list for the last 2 years. He did so well in Billings, that he skipped Dayton last year to Sarasota, ending up hot at Chattanooga. He definately has a problem with LH pitching, but if he hadn't been injured early this season, he'd be at Louisville by now, knocking on the Reds' front door.

I'm high on Dorn as well. I have him 7th behind Frazier, Alonso, Soto, Roenicke, Lotzkar and Thompson. I think he's a legit lefty platoon power threat and that isn't a bad thing to have in the system with a number of cheap years ahead.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Is he really 6'2" - 190?

If he is, you almost have to think he can add some more meat to that frame for even more power, no?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Dorn plays great defense. He gets as good of jumps on balls as Stubbs or Heisey.
    He runs good routes to the ball and covers a lot of ground.
    He was a 2006 CWS all tourney outfielder because of his great defense. Danny Dorn
    can play defense ans has legit power and continues to be under valued. He should be
    playing in AAA over Cumberland. He also hit his 22 bomb today.
    Last edited by BigRed07; 08-24-2008 at 06:52 PM.

Turn Off Ads?