Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walt To Be Active In Off-Season??

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Walt To Be Active In Off-Season??

MLBTradeRumor.com -

The Reds will free up about $30MM in payroll, and Walt Jocketty plans to be active.

Jocketty shapes Reds' future
    By Joe Strauss
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/18/2008

CINCINNATI — The man assigned a rival organization's heavy lifting worked the Cardinals clubhouse Sunday morning wearing a Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirt and an easy smile.

Sporting the tropical doctor look, Walt Jocketty is doing just fine.

Less than five months into his term as Cincinnati Reds general manager, Jocketty has tipped his hand. Architect of a 2006 world championship as Cardinals executive vice president and general manager, Jocketty for now is the guy who traded Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn as part of an organizational overhaul.

The leftovers are a team that lost 17 of 21 entering Sunday's series finale against the Cardinals and wallowed in last place within the National League Central.

"Dunn was going to be a free agent and Griffey had an option we weren't going to exercise, so we just felt it was time to turn the page and get some players back to help give us more depth," Jocketty said. "They were both guys who had great careers here. But it wasn't working, so we're trying something different."

The Reds displayed part of their future Sunday as 25-year-old Edinson Volquez stifled the Cardinals. The Reds entered the game 16-8 in Volquez's starts, 38-62 when he didn't start.

Absent from postseason play since 1995, the Reds not surprisingly seek a dramatic shift in direction.

After entering the season with 12 pending free agents, nine remain. About $30 million comes off payroll at season's end, and majority owner Bob Castellini has made it clear that Jocketty will have free rein to shape the team as he sees fit.

"We will be active. We're prepared for that," Jocketty said. "It depends on what's out there. But we plan to be active."

Griffey and Dunn were extremely popular figures locally, hitting 480 home runs combined for the organization. The future Hall of Famer Griffey was born in Cincinnati at a time when his father, Ken Sr., contributed to the Big Red Machine of the 1970s.

Dunn, the only player in Reds history to produce four consecutive 40-home run seasons, was again challenging for the NL home run lead when traded to the Arizona Diamondbacks for three players.

"The same people who were after us to trade those guys were probably the most critical when it happened," Jocketty quipped. "But I think for the most part people understand. I think the fans like seeing the young players up here. They like seeing the energy. We have talent. We just need experience."

The Cardinals acquired six members of Sunday's starting lineup during Jocketty's term. He brought Tony La Russa to St. Louis as manager before the 1996 season. Predictably, a reunion of sorts broke out behind the batting cage Saturday, with Jocketty exchanging playful barbs with La Russa and sharing a brief conversation with Cardinals Chairman Bill DeWitt, who abruptly fired him three days after last season's third-place finish.

Still a Ladue resident, Jocketty intends to move to Cincinnati with his family after his son, Joe, graduates high school next spring. Jocketty once predicted he would never again take a general manager's job after leaving the Cardinals. On Sunday he admitted being in for the long haul.

"There's a lot of work to do. I want to be here until we get things back above water," he said.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Walt To Be Active In Off-Season??

Hope he finds a hot date ... although with that kind of cash it shouldn't be a problem.

You can't just throw money at the problem. They need to spend it wisely. That may be a "duh" statement to many but those who spend the most don't always get the best return in the long run.

"There's a lot of work to do. I want to be here until we get things back above water," he said.
    So that means that when the team is back above .500 Bavasi takes over to sink the ship again?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

does that 30M count Dunn and Jr? I am assuming it does. Hopefully, it doesn't and we can use their money to pay for the raises and still have 30M to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    You can't just throw money at the problem. They need to spend it wisely. That may be a "duh" statement to many but those who spend the most don't always get the best return in the long run.
    I don't think that is what he was saying exactly.

Wow, that's really inspiring. That would be a great slogan for the Reds: "Cincinnati Baseball: Someday We Will Be Above Water Again."

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    So that means that when the team is back above .500 Bavasi takes over to sink the ship again?
    Sure sounds like it, doesn't it? I don't really like that statement by Walt. Why take over, rebuild, then sound like you aren't going to stick around to enjoy the success you created?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Sure sounds like it, doesn't it? I don't really like that statement by Walt. Why take over, rebuild, then sound like you aren't going to stick around to enjoy the success you created?
    Bob: Please, please, please, please come out of retirement and help me rebuild the Reds!

Walt: Nah. I'm enjoying my time off. After a World Series, I don't have much else to accomplish.

Bob: Please?

Walt: No thanks.

Bob: Why don't you just come and be a "Special Assistant"? We could really use you and Wayne will do most of the work. I just need your wisdom to help me respond when Krivsky comes to me with crazy trade ideas and half-baked free agent possibilities. He's not really a people person.

Walt: I won't do much work?

Bob: I guarantee you won't. You'll just be doing the fun stuff.

Walt: Okay, I'll give it a try.

Bob: Wicked! Thanks so much, buddy! You won't regret it.
    __________________________________________________ __________

A few months later...
    __________________________________________________ __________

Walt: Bob, I'm starting to regret accepting this "Special Assistant" position. I'm still doing a lot of work and Wayne is hard to handle. He doesn't have many people skills.

Bob: You can't leave, Walt. Not now!

Walt: I have to. This isn't working. Wayne feels too threatened by me, I think.

Bob: Then I'll fire him and make you GM!

Walt: Bob, I told you before, I prefer to be RETIRED.

Bob: Walt, c'mon buddy, you can't leave me like this. I made a promise to the people of Cincinnati. Many times. I need help.

Walt: Well I can't deal with things how they are.

Bob: I'll fire Wayne and make you GM for a few years. Just long enough to help me right this ship. I promise, okay?

Walt: Just long enough to right the ship. I'm holding you at your word, okay? We've got to bring in someone else to work under me. Someone who has experience in the league and who won't rock the boat like Wayne.

Bob: Like who?

Walt: Well, Bill Bavasi would be a good candidate, but he's still with Seattle.

Bob: You've got a deal!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Wow, that's really inspiring. That would be a great slogan for the Reds: "Cincinnati Baseball: Someday We Will Be Above Water Again."
    How about "If you love the Reds, you must be all wet!"
    /r/reds

Come on, Walt is a proud, storied GM with a reputation on the line here. He's accepted a job that isn't going to be easy or quick and all I think Jocketty means is there is no way he wants to go out with a franchise mess on his resume. No really good professional wants to leave a job until he can feel proud of what he left behind, especially one with a championship track record. It's his way of reassuring those who wonder if he really is committed to this or not. Remember, not long ago he remarked how he really didn't want the job - now he's in the position of assuring people that now that he's here he intends to get the job done.

I wish Walt all the luck in the world and hope he's successful.

I gotta say it bothers me when anyone says it hasn't worked with Dunn here.

No it hasn't worked but Dunn was in no way part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I wish Walt all the luck in the world and hope he's successful.

I gotta say it bothers me when anyone says it hasn't worked with Dunn here.

No it hasn't worked but Dunn was in no way part of the problem.
    I will disagree with ya there, but instead of hi-jacking the thread and making it yet another Dunn thread I'll just say this. He wasn't a big part of the problem I'll give you that. But to say he wasn't any part of the problem is likely very wrong.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I will disagree with ya there, but instead of hi-jacking the thread and making it yet another Dunn thread I'll just say this. He wasn't a big part of the problem I'll give you that. But to say he wasn't any part of the problem is likely very wrong.
    He was a well above average player paid sub market rates during his time here.

In no way could he be considered part of the problem. Basically, you should be pointing your finger at the other 24 guys before arriving at Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Dunn was the Reds most productive hitter, he was't the problem.

The problem was Pitching and the fact that the Reds failed misseably when it came to the use of Adam Dunns talents.

We all have the right to our opinion and thats mine.

Turn Off Ads?