Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would any one out there like Adrian Beltre as a Red?

Would any one out there like Adrian Beltre as a Red?

Would any one out there like Adrian Beltre as a Red?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Free Agent

at a reasonable rate. Right handed power hitter, why not?
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Re: Free Agent

a lot of times I find myself comparing Edwin to a young Adrian Beltre. The only thing Beltre brings over Edwin is better defense, but if you remember, Beltre once made a good share of errors while a youngster with the Dodgers. Edwin brings just as much power and at least as good of a BA and OBP.

Re: Would any one out there like Adrian Beltre as a Red?

Give me Edwin any day of the week and twice on Sundays. EE young, cost-controlled, and decent hitter. Beltre, older, expensive and fair hitter.

Beltre's defense, although oddly inconsistent, is still better than EE's.

Beltre turned possibly one of the biggest aberration years into a rediculous contract. He's never even come remotely close to those 2004 numbers again.

Yeah, Beltre is a 20 homer guy who put up 48 homers and his only 100+ rbi year in a contract season. Good for him, but he hasn't come close to being that same player.

Don't get me wrong. He is solid, but not great. For money purposes only, I'd just as well keep EE.
    Who's on first?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I'd love it
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Keep EE, say no to Beltre. Money can be better spent for other positions.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Why in the world would we want a guy who only produces when it's convenient for him? Plus he's fat and has had foot problems...the two don't mix, I should know....

I think it's too early to give up on EE; give him another year or two while this team is being rebuilt and let's see what happens.

Bumstead

Adrian Beltre makes me think of performance enhancing drugs for some reason. While I'm not opposed to moving EE. I would prefer the Reds not take on Beltre.

With some of the info "leaked" - I only say this because WJ makes WK look like a blabbermouth, though it's usually of the wilde goose chase variety - about moving EE/Votto to LF and/or Alonso to 3rd base when he gets here - this is the kind of move I could see WJ making for a year or two - maybe just one year - as part of a transition.

I don't know if they want to take on that salary, but at least it's only for one year.

We definitely need a RH power bat - whether that's a LF or 3rd base, I think we have options now.

I think a Burrell on a 3-4 year deal might be up WJ's alley as well.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

I have seen that bum play here in Seattle the last few years and I definitely think he is on the decline physically. IF you take away the one year in LA when he was juiced out of his mind and put up 48hr 121rbi .334avg he is a career .260 20hr 100+K guy.. no thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Why in the world would we want a guy who only produces when it's convenient for him? Plus he's fat and has had foot problems...the two don't mix, I should know....

I think it's too early to give up on EE; give him another year or two while this team is being rebuilt and let's see what happens.

Bumstead

i live in washington and so i watch the mariners n hes not fat, nor does he have foot problems.
    Last edited by paintmered; 08-19-2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: profanity

ne one seen his home/road splits? hes crazy good outta safeco. 800+ ops last couple years on the road.

hed mash in cincy. plus hes a stud on defense. hes just terrible at safeco, prolly cause the 'mike cameron effect'. i saw on USSM. its like no matter how hard beltre hits the ball hed just fly out to deep center or left. it gets in his head and then he trys and tweaks his swing. cameron did the same thing.

hed be a great pickup if he came at under $15 mill per year imo. plus hes heralded for his leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by daBeastIzback View Post
    ne one seen his home/road splits? hes crazy good outta safeco. 800+ ops last couple years on the road.

hed mash in cincy. plus hes a stud on defense. hes just terrible at safeco, prolly cause the 'mike cameron effect'. i saw on USSM. its like no matter how hard beltre hits the ball hed just fly out to deep center or left. it gets in his head and then he trys and tweaks his swing. cameron did the same thing.

hed be a great pickup if he came at under $15 mill per year imo. plus hes heralded for his leadership.
    No way we should spend close to $15 million on Beltre and cut ties with a much cheaper and similar producing EdE
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

The only way I wouldn't possibly mind him in a Reds uni is if we traded Edwin for a pitching talent of equal talent, someone in the majors with a high ceiling but has only been average and shown flashes to this point. And then replace Edwin with Beltre in the 6-8 million range.

Turn Off Ads?