Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Source: Henry headed to Cincinnati to sign deal with Bengals

Source: Henry headed to Cincinnati to sign deal with Bengals

Source: Henry headed to Cincinnati to sign deal with Bengals

By James Walker
    ESPN.com
    (Archive)

Updated: August 18, 2008, 8:30 PM ET

The Cincinnati Bengals are close to reaching an agreement with free-agent receiver Chris Henry, a source told ESPN.com Monday night. Henry is en route from Charlotte, N.C., to Cincinnati to sign a contract with the team as early as Tuesday, the source said.
    Chris Henry

Henry

The Bengals refused comment on Henry when contacted by ESPN.com on Monday night.

"We don't comment on speculated player moves," Cincinnati team spokesman Jack Brennan said. "We only comment when something is done."

Henry, a former Bengal, was released by the team following his fifth arrest in three years for an alleged incident that took place on March 31. But charges of assault and criminal damaging were later dropped, making him eligible to play in 2008.

Still, the NFL suspended Henry for the first four games of the season.

But the Bengals had shown interest in Henry since the charges were dropped. There was a feeling in Cincinnati that the team may have overreacted in cutting its former third-round draft pick before the judicial system ran its course.

The Bengals have struggled in the past when Henry was not on the field. Last season the team was 2-6 while Henry served an eight-game suspension and 5-3 during the second half of the season with Henry in the lineup.

Henry has 88 career receptions for 1,370 yards and 17 touchdowns as Cincinnati's No. 3 receiver behind Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Recently, Henry told ESPN.com he vows to stay out of precarious situations if given another chance.

"I'm just focusing on what I need to be doing off the field so I can keep doing what I do on the field," Henry said. "I just have to be smart and handle myself like a professional at all times. Off the field, if I'll handle situations like I'm supposed to everything else will take care of itself."

Sunday's shoulder injury to Pro Bowl receiver Johnson, in addition to a recent hamstring injury to Houshmandzadeh and a toe injury in rookie Andre Caldwell, may have prompted the urgency to sign Henry this week. Although Henry will not be eligible to play until October, the team needs more capable bodies in practice and during the rest of the preseason.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Source: Henry headed to Cincinnati to sign deal with Bengals

I bet this is Mike Browns doing.

Retired

Oh you have got to be friggin kidding me...............

I guess there goes the development of Simpson and Caldwell, who is probably out 4-6 weeks with a toe injury anyways... However, if Henry can stay straight... T.J, Chad, Henry, Simpson, Caldwell, Maxwell is a special group of receivers...

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    I guess there goes the development of Simpson and Caldwell, who is probably out 4-6 weeks with a toe injury anyways... However, if Henry can stay straight... T.J, Chad, Henry, Simpson, Caldwell, Maxwell is a special group of receivers...
    If? He is going to end up in prison one day soon. The idea the Bengals would even consider bringing him back after all the trouble he's caused shows what a complete joke this organization is.

i love the bengals but this would cross the line with me.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

That's a horrible move. He lost his chance for redemption months ago.

Does the fact that all the charges which his last arrest stemmed from were dropped mean anything?

I can certainly understand wanting to kick him to the curb before that, but the Bengals didn't it was his most recent arrest which got him dropped. All the charges were dropped so is it fair to not put him back on his previous status?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Does the fact that all the charges which his last arrest stemmed from were dropped mean anything?

I can certainly understand wanting to kick him to the curb before that, but the Bengals didn't it was his most recent arrest which got him dropped. All the charges were dropped so is it fair to not put him back on his previous status?
    He should have been cut after his second arrest. Everbody makes mistakes, he was given a second chance, and blew it. Bringing him back is only asking for trouble and will add another sideshow this team doesn't need. If this was Marvin's call, not only would I sent Henry packing (again) I'd send Marvin with him.

For a Level Playing Field

I just don't get it. The guy is very talented. Might be a better WR than Chad and/or TJ.

Is it alcohol related? Is it drug related? Is it anger-management related? Is it young-and-stupid related? Is it a combination of some/all of these things?

A chance to be very rich and possibly famous. Quit fighting. Quit driving drunk. Quit smoking mary jane.

Stupid or addicted. Got to be one of these things. He makes the Bengals a better team when he plays.

The Bengals are 22-13 when Henry plays. He makes their offense dynamic in a way that no other player does.

BTW, why don't the Cowboys get picked on for their guys (Pacman, Tank Johnson, etc...). Same with San Diego (Merriman, Foley, etc...). I'm not calling the Bengals victims, but they are the punching bag for a league full of teams with questionable characters.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Just win baby.

I don't like it one bit. I know he can't practice the first four games while he's suspended, but I'm assuming he can during the preseason like he did last year, right?

Quote Originally Posted by bengalsown View Post

Just win baby.
    What winning took place when he was playing with them before?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    What winning took place when he was playing with them before?
    11-5 his rookie year.

I'll take that...

Turn Off Ads?