Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ross trade deadline is Wednesday...trade brewing?

Ross trade deadline is Wednesday...trade brewing?

The Reds DFA'd David Ross on August 11th. They have till the 21st, this Thursday to get him dealt. I think he would have to pass through waivers. His total salary was $2,525,000 this year, and most of that is already paid.

Someone will certainly take him as a free agent. The real question is whether the Reds can get anything in return, if they can trade him to a team that claims him off waivers. His numbers are alright, but his OBP is high, especially for a catcher at .381.

Tonight, on MLBTradeRumors, there was this:
    Phillies, Red Sox Interested In Dave Ross
    By Tim Dierkes [August 18 at 3:27pm CST]
    8:13pm: Rosenthal has added the Red Sox to the mix for Ross.
    3:27pm: According to Ken Rosenthal, the Phillies are interested in recently-released catcher Dave Ross. Rosenthal says they could send him to the minors and bring him up when rosters expand. The Marlins seemingly chose Paul Lo Duca over Ross earlier this year.
    The 31 year-old backstop hit .231/.381/.366 in 173 plate appearances this year. He flashed prodigious power in '06, but not much since then. Ross threw out 29% of attempted basestealers this year and 41% in '07.
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 08-19-2008 at 12:46 AM.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ross trade deadline is Thursday...trade brewing?

Actually, they designated Ross for assignment on August 10, which was the first day Ryan Hanigan joined the team. So they only have until Tuesday, August 19 to do something.

A somewhat unrelated topic, but Marcus McBeth was designated for assignment on August 9 to make room for Adam Rosales on the 40-man roster. McBeth's 10-day period expired at midnight tonight (about 30 minutes ago). Has anyone heard what the club did? Did they release him? Did he accept outright assignment to the minors?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Big Klu, you might be right about the date. I saw the ESPN note and date...
    Reds August 11: Activated pitcher Aaron Harang from the 15-day disabled list; optioned pitcher Homer Bailey to Louisville of the International League (AAA); designated catcher David Ross for assignment; recalled catcher Ryan Hanigan from Louisville.
    I edited the title to say by Wednesday....Maybe it would be clearer to say by Tuesday midnight?
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Actually, they designated Ross for assignment on August 10, which was the first day Ryan Hanigan joined the team. So they only have until Tuesday, August 19 to do something.

A somewhat unrelated topic, but Marcus McBeth was designated for assignment on August 9 to make room for Adam Rosales on the 40-man roster. McBeth's 10-day period expired at midnight tonight (about 30 minutes ago). Has anyone heard what the club did? Did they release him? Did he accept outright assignment to the minors?
    I think Macbeth is now in the A's or Red Sox system now.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Re: Ross trade deadline is Wednesday...trade brewing?

McBeth is now with the Red Sox.

Rotoworld seemed to indicate Ross has already been released, but even if he hasn't been, I don't see us getting anything for him.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I believe Ross already went through waivers, and no one claimed him. If someone would have claimed him then, maybe someone would be willing to trade something for him, but because no one claimed him, the Reds won't be receiving anything for him. I really didn't like this move. Ross is over-paid a little, but he's better than Bako and Valentin IMHO, and I'm hoping neither of those guys are with the Reds next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Rotoworld seemed to indicate Ross has already been released, but even if he hasn't been, I don't see us getting anything for him.
    The Red Sox claimed McBeth on 8/13, and used their last open 40 man roster spot on him. I don't know if Walt and Theo are friendly or not, and I don't know if the Reds even particularly want McBeth back, but he hasn't appeared in a game for the Pawsox yet.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Ross is, IMO, exactly the kind of player you don't want to spend 3 million bucks on on a team that has no chance to contend. This is a spot where we use a combination of Hanigan-Castillo-Tatum etc. to get some savings with very little loss. I'd be shocked, frankly, if any of this year's trio of catchers is back on Jocketty's team for 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I'd be shocked, frankly, if any of this year's trio of catchers is back on Jocketty's team for 2009.

I think Valentin has played himself onto next year's roster with his play at 1st over the past week. Personally, I wouldn't keep him around but he's versatile and has that rep as a good pinch hitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Ya can't teach speed...

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I believe Ross already went through waivers, and no one claimed him. If someone would have claimed him then, maybe someone would be willing to trade something for him, but because no one claimed him, the Reds won't be receiving anything for him. I really didn't like this move. Ross is over-paid a little, but he's better than Bako and Valentin IMHO, and I'm hoping neither of those guys are with the Reds next year.
    Bako has an good rep for handling pitchers and calling a game. Don't be surprised if he sticks around to mentor some of the young catchers coming up through the system.

I'm still hopeful Valentin and Bako will be gone. If I had to bet that one of those two will be back, I'd bet on Bako as a backup to whoever emerges as the semi-starter--Castillo, Tatum, or Hanigan. But if that's the case, then Bako is one of your five bench guys to start with, Dickerson is probably another (assuming a Freel-Dickerson platoon in CF), Keppinger is another (assuming return of Gonzalez and/or acquisition of another SS), Rosales will hit his way on to the team, and I'm figuring we see Hairston back, though not CP. Seems to me there's likely not going to be room for Javy.

If David Ross was interesting to the Red Sox, maybe they'll trade for Marcus McBeth.....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

per Rotoworld

Reds released catcher David Ross.
    Ross was designated for assignment last week after hitting .231/.381/.366 in 173 plate appearances. He's a career .223 hitter, but that also comes with an average of 27 homers per 500 at-bats and Ross has reportedly already drawn interest from the Phillies.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I don't think David Ross is property of the Cincinnati Reds therefore the Reds won't be receiving anyone for him.

I like Castillo.. Even though he's young he hit for average last season and if he shows that in Louisville we should see him in September or sooner. He's versitile as well as he can play 3rd and OF.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Makes that Denorfia trade look even better now, doesn't it?

With Dunn gone and the CF uncertainty (or even OF uncertainty for that matter), it would definitely be a better situation to have Denorfia on the roster.

I doubt we'll get anything for Ross, seeing as the Fish seemed to have the most interest and that didn't happen before the non-waiver deadline.

Turn Off Ads?