Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ross trade deadline is Wednesday...trade brewing?

Re: Ross trade deadline is Wednesday...trade brewing?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Denorfia had TJ surgery. It's in no way career-derailing for a hitter. Janish has had it, too.
    Those aren't very good examples. Janish and Denorfia both have TJ, both can't hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Update from MLB Traderumors:

WEDNESDAY:Ross became a free agent today, and the Phillies made contact to express their interest.
    "I think he'd be unbelievable. He's as organized as anyone in the game, he holds people accountable... He doesn't buy into stereotypical things in the game... Price looks at evidence. He's a freaking smart guy, he makes his decision on reasonable evidence." Bronson Arroyo

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8...or-league-deal

The Red Sox signed Ross to a minor league contract.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8...or-league-deal

The Red Sox signed Ross to a minor league contract.
    Which only goes to show what the rest of the baseball world thought of him.

Why do we always end up with the guys no one else wants? We had to basically give Dunn and Griffey away, Scott Hatteberg is still without a job, Freel is injured as usual, and feelers for David Weathers and Bronson Arroyo were fruitless. We gave Mike Stanton his last chance. And we paid too much for all of them.

Hopefully, those days are over.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Which only goes to show what the rest of the baseball world thought of him.

Why do we always end up with the guys no one else wants? We had to basically give Dunn and Griffey away, Scott Hatteberg is still without a job, Freel is injured as usual, and feelers for David Weathers and Bronson Arroyo were fruitless. We gave Mike Stanton his last chance. And we paid too much for all of them.

Hopefully, those days are over.
    The Red Sox must like something about him. No one would sign a catcher to a major league contract on August 20 unless one of their regular catchers got injured. It's too late to learn a whole new pitching staff, but almost time for rosters to expand.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    The Red Sox must like something about him. No one would sign a catcher to a major league contract on August 20 unless one of their regular catchers got injured. It's too late to learn a whole new pitching staff, but almost time for rosters to expand.
    The telling part was "as a third string catcher."

Yep, this administration valued "a third string catcher" enough to keep him around for almost three years and the top catcher on the team. Just goes to show you how far we have to go to actually be that contender we all hope the Reds will be.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I don't think it was so much that the Reds valued Ross as much as it was that there were no better options. Offensively, as a Red, Ross was an above-average catcher. Defensively, we (on RedsZone) will never all agree, but I always thought he was pretty good (handled pitchers well, threw out runners fairly well, made good decisions on the field, etc.).

Anyway, I wonder if Ross went to Boston because of all the stories Arroyo told him.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    The telling part was "as a third string catcher."

Yep, this administration valued "a third string catcher" enough to keep him around for almost three years and the top catcher on the team. Just goes to show you how far we have to go to actually be that contender we all hope the Reds will be.
    And, what I'm saying is, any catcher brought in this late in the season would have to be as "a third string catcher", unless it's really an emergency. Believe me, I'd rather have Ross in the lineup than Varitek or Cash, but you can't just throw a new guy behind the plate and hope he figures out how to communicate with Dice-K or catch Wakefield's knuckleball. Okay, so maybe the Sox have more extreme issues than most teams, but, still, it's asking a lot even without anything that extreme. Check out the Yankees. Posada gets injured, they add I-Rod at the deadline, and Pettitte and Mussina want nothing to do with him. You just can't do it.

I still can't understand why the Reds gave away their best catcher in the entire organization...by far. They did it with LaRue and now with Ross.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I still can't understand why the Reds gave away their best catcher in the entire organization...by far. They did it with LaRue and now with Ross.
    Because he's not. He may have been the best offensive catcher, but his defense is quite offensive as well.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Because he's not. He may have been the best offensive catcher, but his defense is quite offensive as well.
    eh, maybe you are right, but I liked the dude.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Here's LaRue's line from last year: .148/.240/.272/.512. Not much lost.

It's still way early, but I can't say I'm all that impressed with Hanigan's defense either.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    It's still way early, but I can't say I'm all that impressed with Hanigan's defense either.
    It seems to me more of an issue of him needing to get used to the pitchers. The few balls that he's let through have been on Bronson's frisbee curve balls and one on Harang I believe. He had a tough time getting on the same page with Bronson last night too. That will come with time. Not that it really means a whole lot, but he was voted best defensive catcher in the International League..
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    It seems to me more of an issue of him needing to get used to the pitchers. The few balls that he's let through have been on Bronson's frisbee curve balls and one on Harang I believe. He had a tough time getting on the same page with Bronson last night too. That will come with time. Not that it really means a whole lot, but he was voted best defensive catcher in the International League..
    All good points and very true.

I was just going on that wild pitch in the 3rd last night. Arroyo frisbee'd one in the dirt and Hanigan tried to backhand it without getting out of his crouch. I was like "uh, son, up here, we move our knees and shift over to block those, get your butt over there".

Very anecdotal and hard to make a performance curve out of a single data point. I hope to see his defensive prowess come to bear soon.

Pay attention to the open sky

Turn Off Ads?