Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ross trade deadline is Wednesday...trade brewing?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Ross trade deadline is Wednesday...trade brewing?

Ross has signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8...or-league-deal

The Red Sox, adding catching help for the stretch drive, have signed David Ross to a minor-league contract, according to major-league sources.

Ross, 31, drew interest from the Red Sox and Phillies after getting released by the Reds. He will report to Class AAA and eventually become the Sox's third catcher behind Jason Varitek and Kevin Cash.

The Sox would need to promote Ross by Aug. 31 to make him eligible for their post-season roster. Ross also could be added for the playoffs if Varitek or Cash were injured.

In 52 games with the Reds this season, Ross batted only .231 but produced a robust .381 on-base percentage.

The Red Sox will be his fifth team, and first in the American League.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I find it funny that a team in much better shape than the Reds picked up Ross. I somehow doubt that Paul Bako would be signed anywhere had he been cut. Similar to Adam Dunn batting fourth on a better team.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I find it funny that a team in much better shape than the Reds picked up Ross. I somehow doubt that Paul Bako would be signed anywhere had he been cut. Similar to Adam Dunn batting fourth on a better team.
    I don't know...IMO Paul Bako is better than Chad Moeller was, and Moeller has a regular gig with the Yankees this season.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

The more I think about it and see the list of catcher available Ross is probably in the top quarter or at least 1/2 of that list. Not sure why we waived him. .381 OBP. Is that right? He has a good arm and I think calls a decent game. We'll see though. I'll wait to pass judgement for another week or so.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

There was no good reason to DFA Ross in favor of Valentine, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    The more I think about it and see the list of catcher available Ross is probably in the top quarter or at least 1/2 of that list. Not sure why we waived him. .381 OBP. Is that right? He has a good arm and I think calls a decent game. We'll see though. I'll wait to pass judgement for another week or so.
    Yes. Other than Jerry Hairston's .388, Ross had the highest OBP on the Reds. Can't have him clogging up the bases.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    There was no good reason to DFA Ross in favor of Valentine, in my opinion.
    Ross makes more money than Valentin, IIRC, plus Valentin can supposedly also play 1B and as we've seen this year 3B.

It's that kinda flawed logic that results in Ross as a Red Sox and Valentin still a Red...

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Ross makes more money than Valentin, IIRC, plus Valentin can supposedly also play 1B and as we've seen this year 3B.

It's that kinda flawed logic that results in Ross as a Red Sox and Valentin still a Red...
    I agree. Ross should probably be the started and be in the 7 or 8 hole depending on if Patterson is playing
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Boston called up Ross on Friday. Sean Casey and Josh Beckett went to the 15 day DL.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Boston called up Ross on Friday. Sean Casey and Josh Beckett went to the 15 day DL.
    Casey's had a knack this season of getting himself hurt whenever Lowell's on the DL. Good plan, lousy execution? I don't quite know how or when they're going to get Ross into a game unless they wind up in a blowout, but it's kind of funny how the Red Sox entire available bench last night was a catcher who can't hit a lick and another catcher who, as far as I know, has never caught a single pitcher on their staff.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

It's very simple why Ross was released: He had a big option for next year and the Reds were not going to pick it up. Reds wanted to give Hanigan a chance and they think there's an outside chance they might bring Bako back next year in a backup/platoon role (hopefully not, but still...).

This was not about "Is Dave Ross better than Bako and Hanigan right now?" because he clearly is. Well, he might not be clearly better than Hanigan, but if you were in a pennant race you would want Ross over Hanigan IMO due to experience. But the Reds are getting ready for 2009. Ross was not going to factor in their plans, so they did a good thing for all parties and waived him. Tried to trade him, but released him. Ross gets to catch on with a real team and we get to see what Hanigan's got for next year. And yeah, they could have kept Hanigan and Ross, but again, I think they are considering bringing Bako back for one more year.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    It's very simple why Ross was released: He had a big option for next year and the Reds were not going to pick it up. Reds wanted to give Hanigan a chance and they think there's an outside chance they might bring Bako back next year in a backup/platoon role (hopefully not, but still...).

This was not about "Is Dave Ross better than Bako and Hanigan right now?" because he clearly is. Well, he might not be clearly better than Hanigan, but if you were in a pennant race you would want Ross over Hanigan IMO due to experience. But the Reds are getting ready for 2009. Ross was not going to factor in their plans, so they did a good thing for all parties and waived him. Tried to trade him, but released him. Ross gets to catch on with a real team and we get to see what Hanigan's got for next year. And yeah, they could have kept Hanigan and Ross, but again, I think they are considering bringing Bako back for one more year.
    I think Ross was released because when the position is called "Catcher" ability to actually catch the ball is something you'd like him to have. I've yet to see Ross demonstrate that he actually has that ability on a consistent basis.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?