Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Letter to Reds Fans from BC and WJ

Letter to Reds Fans from BC and WJ

Dear Fans,

Thank you for your loyalty and support of the Cincinnati Reds. You are extremely vital to the success of the Reds, and it is important we share with you the thinking behind our recent personnel decisions.

Since taking ownership of this franchise, we have aggressively tried to improve our Major League roster for the purpose of restoring championship baseball to Cincinnati. We have sought and signed proven players. We have extended the contracts of select current players. We added Dusty Baker, a proven winning manager. And, we have capitalized on our burgeoning younger players like Joey Votto, Jay Bruce and Johnny Cueto.

We had high expectations for the 2008 season. Unfortunately the team has not played up to our expectations and we have sustained injuries to key players within our starting lineup and rotation.

We opted to trade Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn at this time because we believe it provided the best outcome for the long-term success of the organization. By executing these inevitable changes now, we secured more players as part of our focus towards building a deeper, stronger inventory of young talent.

We are pleased that the trades allow Griffey and Dunn the opportunity to play for teams in tight division races. Both Ken and Adam made significant contributions to the Reds and we are extremely proud and grateful they wore the Reds uniform.

While the run production generated by these two veterans will not be quickly replaced, we chose to endure the short-term ramifications for the sake of building a strong, competitive team for 2009 and many seasons to come.

The vast majority of our 50 draft picks were signed, culminating last week with first-rounder Yonder Alonso and a pair of talented pitchers. Our expanded scouting operations also signed Juan Duran from the Dominican Republic and Yorman Rodriguez from Venezuela, who are arguably the best amateur free agent position players from their respective countries.

As we near September, we will continue to provide valuable playing time to our young players and new acquisitions who we feel can become significant contributors at the Major League level. We ask your continued trust and patience as we build the roster that will get us back on top. We appreciate your support and look forward to seeing you at the ballpark.

"""

Apparently, they didn't know that the REAL Reds fans prefer small ball, GIDP's, and Caught Stealings to OPS-powered runs!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Letter to Reds Fans from BC and WJ

Well, I for one am thankful for at least the notion of a letter like this. I'm glad they're finally admitting that rebooting the system is probably the best course of action. Good thing is, if this is actually how it unfolds, we could be looking at a good team in 2010.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

nope.. we cant.. we will never find another guy with 40 home run power.. thats all we ever need to win.. not a combination like many have stated.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    nope.. we cant.. we will never find another guy with 40 home run power.. thats all we ever need to win.. not a combination like many have stated.....
    Well I think we did lead the league in CS's and GIDP's last week with all of our "SPEED"...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Why didn't the letter say something to the effect of I am an impatient boob who doesn't have a clue of how to field a winning baseball club and will not leave my general manager on the job long enough to execute a plan, by the way here is some dollar hot dogs and 5 dollar tickets to satisfy you.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

As someone who year in and year out invests a lot of my disposable income on the "season", This year like so many in recent memory has been a bitter pill. It starts with Spring Training that I have faithfully attended for 9 of the last 10 years. This largely due to the fact I have a brother in Ft. Myers to stay with, while watching the Reds against Bosox, and Twins. We always catch some games in Sarasota as well, which is only 90 minutes away. Then I buy a partial season ticket pkg. That's all I can afford, plus it is an hour plus to home from the Ball Park. I have not used my last 5 tickets, because this team has not been worth watching, and the time and money it takes stretches me financially. I'm sick of paying out so much to see a team that can't even be at least be decent. I'm tired of rotating GM's, where none gets a chance to let his plan take hold and work. Next Spring will likely be my last in attendance, as they move to the Desert, (Got no relatives there to stay with), and if I decide to buy into a season pkg. again, will be my last at that, if they can't at least finish in the top 3. Too many years of empty hopes, too many "Rah-Rahs" from the FO like this letter, too much money from my pocket---$6+ beer?!!??
    Not to mention, in my dealings with the Season Ticket Holder's so-called personal account managers, that consistently leave me feeling like, "They got my money already, so now I'm an un-wanted, Red-headed step-child. Castellini can save the ink as far as I'm concerned, I ain't buyin'.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    As someone who year in and year out invests a lot of my disposable income on the "season", This year like so many in recent memory has been a bitter pill. It starts with Spring Training that I have faithfully attended for 9 of the last 10 years. This largely due to the fact I have a brother in Ft. Myers to stay with, while watching the Reds against Bosox, and Twins. We always catch some games in Sarasota as well, which is only 90 minutes away. Then I buy a partial season ticket pkg. That's all I can afford, plus it is an hour plus to home from the Ball Park. I have not used my last 5 tickets, because this team has not been worth watching, and the time and money it takes stretches me financially. I'm sick of paying out so much to see a team that can't even be at least be decent. I'm tired of rotating GM's, where none gets a chance to let his plan take hold and work. Next Spring will likely be my last in attendance, as they move to the Desert, (Got no relatives there to stay with), and if I decide to buy into a season pkg. again, will be my last at that, if they can't at least finish in the top 3. Too many years of empty hopes, too many "Rah-Rahs" from the FO like this letter, too much money from my pocket---$6+ beer?!!??
    Not to mention, in my dealings with the Season Ticket Holder's so-called personal account managers, that consistently leave me feeling like, "They got my money already, so now I'm an un-wanted, Red-headed step-child. Castellini can save the ink as far as I'm concerned, I ain't buyin'.
    So you didn't like the letter I take it?

Why don't you send this post to him in a e-mail response.
    Be interesting to see if they responded to it.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Obviously this letter in meant to cushion the fan's pain felt this year, and especially these last two months, and to explain to the faithful that the trading of the teams two most popular players were part of a bigger plan. While it is partially PR related, it is a nice gesture, that I don't think Linder ever would have made.

Looking at who was moved and who was added, it seems to me that the Jocketty plan is to base the team on pitching and defense. If that plan is stuck to, I like it. But to be clear, a team based on pitching and defense is not a team that is based on small ball.

The Cardinals, White Sox, Twins, Indians, Braves, Angels, and even to some extent the Yankees and Red Sox (they just had the money to get other bigger pieces) have all been based on pitching and defense. While these teams can play small ball when they need to, they are not only small ball teams. I am hoping that the Reds follow this plan.

heres the problem..we see this letter and what happens? we run corey patterson out there to start. i dont care if thats bakers decision or not. somebody whether its walt or bob needs to tell him no more corey patterson. i've said it before, they arent committed to changing anything until CP is no longer playing/off the team. i am in absolute shock hes been around this long.

we DFA ross, who i didnt really care for, but i'd rather take the 3 catchers and boot patterson.

Thanks for posting the letter, Bleeds.

It's a shame you had to frame it with your usual (and by that I mean mercilessly repeated) jibes at those who rooted for the deadline deals.

But hey... like Billy Joel says... don't go changing to try to please us. I guess I'm just wondering when you're going to move on... ya know... for your own mental health?
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Again I ask... What does small ball have to do with OBP or OPS? They are not mutually exclusive. They are both important qualities to have on a baseball team.
    Last edited by DUNN'KD; 08-19-2008 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    Thanks for posting the letter, Bleeds.

It's a shame you had to frame it with your usual (and by that I mean mercilessly repeated) jibes at those who rooted for the deadline deals.

But hey... like Billy Joel says... don't go changing to try to please us. I guess I'm just wondering when you're going to move on... ya know... for your own mental health?
    No, I just find it peculiar that our own Front Office can realize that we can't replace Dunn and Griffey, but some of our fans think "the winning will begin" once we replace them with speed and defense.

We have to replace OFFENSE as well as Defense. It ain't happening overnight - and we basically CLOSED the window of opportunity that looked so promising going into this season.

By the time this team is ready to compete - if all the stars align and we get lucky - in 2010, we'll have Harang/Arroyo/Cordero in their last years and beginning the arb years for all the young kids who are cheap now.

Unless we start unloading Harang/Arroyo/Cordero/Phillips now, along with massively increased Payroll for Top-Tier Free Agents, AND some killer trades that work out in our favor - we have no chance to put together any kind of sustainable run in any near future.

It's kind of sad. I'm used to being let down year in and year out because this team has not had talent nor a window for the last decade, but they DID have one, and they let it go.

I'll move on - wake me in 2011 and tell me what the next letter says.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Dear Walt and Bob

You aren't done yet.

I am reasonably happy with the direction of the team - and with the message in this letter - other than the mistake, IMO, of hiring Dusty Baker. It's a significant enough mistake, I think, that Jocketty needs to fix it sooner rather than later. This is hardly an original thought I realize, but I think fans who feel this way need to make their voices heard. Management appears to be concerned about what we're thinking.
    Last edited by CesarGeronimo; 08-19-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Turn Off Ads?