Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Reds Offense

The Reds Offense

God forbid we go into next season with this type of lineup. It's really disgusting to watch this team go to the plate with no plan whatsoever. Walt has to acquire more patient hitters that work counts because these guys will not hit enough to keep this team out of the basement.

BTW, this isn't a Dunn thread. I just hope that Walt plans on being aggressive in the offseason because next year will be unbearable to watch.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Reds Offense

I think he'll get a few solid role players, but nothing spectacular. There's not going to be any superstar position players out there unless we can pull a trade off. I doubt Patterson will be back, even Freel would be an upgrade over him, and Alex Gonzalez would be a better defensive replacement for Encarnacion or Keppinger.

I could handle them going with prospects and seeing what they have... I can't handle BP hitting 4th, Bruce EE and BP swinging at everything, Bako behind the plate, Kepp at SS, and anything that remotely resembles CPat in CF. Either trade the farm for proven guys (and spend money to extend them) or play the youngsters. I'm sick of journeymen getting their chance in Cincy.

What about throwing big money at Vlad the impaler? He'd totally demolish stuff in GABP.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

On the bright side, Cueto pitched a nice game against a good team, tonight. I like seeing him improve.

Yes, Johnny looked nice. He's been fun to watch of late. I have a feeling that we're going to see him and Volquie throw some nice games and end up losing 2-1 or 1-0.

Id Love to have Vlad but I think he has an option in his contract next yr and I dont think he would come here anyways. I would give him some big $$$ though.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

if we dont start winning more of the 1 run games cueto and our starting pitchers throw.. they will lose all confidence in their teamates...

Well I would like to see that "small ball" offense start picking up the slack. If they aren't a HR team anymore they need to start bunting and stealing bases, but I guess that would require getting on base. These guys (especially BP and EE) are swinging from their heels. It's a terrible product... Walt has a ton of work to do.

As much cause as there is for concern, this is one of the few years in my 23 years of existence that I'm actually excited about next year's team. Walt WILL make moves to improve this team, I guarantee it. We may not go .500 next year, but by the end of the year, we'll be playing good ball.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    Well I would like to see that "small ball" offense start picking up the slack. If they aren't a HR team anymore they need to start bunting and stealing bases, but I guess that would require getting on base. These guys (especially BP and EE) are swinging from their heels. It's a terrible product... Walt has a ton of work to do.
    They didnt use to swing like that.. i have a feeling a clubhouse influence.. or hitting coach named brook jacoby made them swing for the fences.. or maybe it was the batting him 3rd or 4th..

I think it's the 30-30 thing and the hitting "clean up" thing. Whatever it is he has to fix it. Because this offense can not survive with Brandon Phillips as its center piece.

thorn

BP is fine, it's his spot in the batting order that needs changed. I highly doubt you could get an upgrade over BP this offseason, espically if you factor in his defense, which is among the best, if he batted 6th would anyone have a problem with him espically if you compared him to other 2B's in the league? If you call for young players then you need to be patient with them, they are going to look bad at times, but Bruce and Votto will grow tremendously from this year to next and 2010, just be patient. It's those that have been around several years the worry me, like EE, Kepp (Hopefully Gonzo will be back next year, no he's not an all-star but he is an upgrade and is signed, so we need to use him) and starting pitching is thin, we need to make a splash here somehow next year either via trade or FA, problem is we would need to dip into our minor leagues to do this as I don't think anyone on the current 25 roster will net anyting good, except these young guys (Bruce, Votto), which I don't think we should trade. Yep, walt has some decisions to make but some people think he's god, so he should have the team in the hunt next year, right?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

we need to throw big money at a middle of the order guy, preferrably the RH side. Vlad Guerrero would be nice in LF.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    we need to throw big money at a middle of the order guy, preferrably the RH side. Vlad Guerrero would be nice in LF.

Ted Williams would look good out there next year as well. I'm guessing that's about as likely as seeing Vlad in Cincinnati in '09, though.

With...

1> Harang
    2> Volquez
    3> Cueto
    4> Arroyo

....you've got the makings of a very good staff. Now, will everyone stay healthy and pitch like they're capable of?? That remains to be seen.

But I don't think we need to score 6 runs/game next year to win. In my opinion, we just need a bunch of guys who can play good fundamental baseball, get on base with some regularity, and hope Votto and Bruce mature into big-time MLB players.

Wow. I'm *already* trying to convince myself that "next year" is the year. Seems like I've been doing that for two decades.

Turn Off Ads?