Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My last ever Adam Dunn Thread - from the ORG "Dunn Appreciation Thread"

Re: My last ever Adam Dunn Thread - from the ORG "Dunn Appreciation Thread"

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Not sure how he'd be OVERRATED. Even the Biggest Dunn pundits can admit he has serious flaws. That didn't stop him from being the most Productive Reds player in the last decade. That's not over-rated, that's realistic.

His value will be shown now that he's being utilized correctly, and being surrounded by other OBP/OPS guys - both in front AND behind him.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Anyone who thought he was a franchise player, overrated him. Anyone who thought that he was the player to build a team around, overrated him. I have read plenty of those opinions on both the Deck and the ORG.

Clearly, that does not refer to you, or anyone else who felt that he needed better hitters around him. By definition, a franchise player is one who doesn't need other great hitters around him. He is the anchor and you build the team around him with role players.

A good analogy is movie stars. Dunn is like a great supporting actor, one who could win awards as a supporting actor, but who should not be the lead.
    He is Robert Duvall, Greg Kinnear or Gene Hackman, not Robert DeNiro, George Clooney or Brad Pitt. He can make a movie better by being in it, but he can't carry it by himself.

There are not a lot of franchise players, maybe 15-20 in the league, so it is no big critique of Dunn that he is not one of them. But there are Reds fans who thought he was one. They overrated him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Anyone who thought he was a franchise player, overrated him. Anyone who thought that he was the player to build a team around, overrated him. I have read plenty of those opinions on both the Deck and the ORG.

Clearly, that does not refer to you, or anyone else who felt that he needed better hitters around him. By definition, a franchise player is one who doesn't need other great hitters around him. He is the anchor and you build the team around him with role players.

A good analogy is movie stars. Dunn is like a great supporting actor, one who could win awards as a supporting actor, but who should not be the lead.
    He is Robert Duvall, Greg Kinnear or Gene Hackman, not Robert DeNiro, George Clooney or Brad Pitt. He can make a movie better by being in it, but he can't carry it by himself.

There are not a lot of franchise players, maybe 15-20 in the league, so it is no big critique of Dunn that he is not one of them. But there are Reds fans who thought he was one. They overrated him.
    This is an excellent analogy of Dunn.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I disagree.
    I think it's the worse analogy ever.
    A Franchise player is someone you build around, not SOLELY depend upon to lead a bunch of role players.
    Not in Baseball.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Arizona fans are starting to think he's the missing piece. As Bleeds said, the Reds never built around Adam Dunn. On a good offensive team he will put up crazy numbers. The Dbacks could use another bat behind him as it is... He was walked 3 more times tonight, once intentionally.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

If i am not mistaken Duval was nomianted for 3 Best Actor Academy Awards for leading Roles and won one while Hackman was nominated for 2 Best Actor Academy Awards while winning one. Pitt meanwhile has never been nominated for Best Actor in a leading role.

Next Year

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    It's a false analogy. Subjective analysis of a movie is nothing like the mechanics of a baseball game.

Yep, and ask any NBA fan how the "FRANCHISES" of KobMe Bryant and LeBron James are doing with ONLY role players on their team to support them.

Again, it's the WORST analogy ever.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Dunn is loving it and so are the Diamondbacks....

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Quote Originally Posted by cjtenn28 View Post
    Dunn is loving it and so are the Diamondbacks....

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
    So, how many times can the same Yahoo linked be posted in this thread anyways?!?!

You should try READING the thread before you post perhaps?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

yup.. we already covered dunn saying he has NEVER been on a winning team that was this close to a pennant...

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Yep, and ask any NBA fan how the "FRANCHISES" of KobMe Bryant and LeBron James are doing with ONLY role players on their team to support them.

Again, it's the WORST analogy ever.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Thats almost as bad as the initial analogy in this case, as the Lakers at least got to the finals, and the Cavs are sniffing the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Thats almost as bad as the initial analogy in this case, as the Lakers at least got to the finals, and the Cavs are sniffing the playoffs.
    Well when 60% of the NBA teams make the playoffs, it doesn't really count.

Yes, it is bad, or at least not great, but it makes the point that FRANCHISE players exist, but don't flourish with only role players. KobMe had to have Shaq to win, and Big Bird and a bunch of stinky Euro 3 point guys got him to the playoffs to begin with.

Franchise players can't carry the whole load on TEAM sports, that doesn't mean they aren't Franchise players.

757690 said "by definition, a franchise player is one who doesn't need other great hitters around him. He is the anchor and you build the team around him with role players".

That's just flat out, plain WRONG.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

[QUOTE=BLEEDS;1728426]Well when 60% of the NBA teams make the playoffs, it doesn't really count.

Yes, it is bad, or at least not great, but it makes the point that FRANCHISE players exist, but don't flourish with only role players. KobMe had to have Shaq to win, and Big Bird and a bunch of stinky Euro 3 point guys got him to the playoffs to begin with.

Franchise players can't carry the whole load on TEAM sports, that doesn't mean they aren't Franchise players.

757690 said "by definition, a franchise player is one who doesn't need other great hitters around him. He is the anchor and you build the team around him with role players".

That's just flat out, plain WRONG.

I agre, it was wrong, and a very bad analogy on his part. As for the rest, Kobe, tell me how my a__ taste.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I agre, it was wrong, and a very bad analogy on his part. As for the rest, Kobe, tell me how my a__ taste.
    Well, I agree on that of course, plus I'm a Celtics fan.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

weren't the cavs in the east finals last year?

Turn Off Ads?