Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My last ever Adam Dunn Thread - from the ORG "Dunn Appreciation Thread"

Re: My last ever Adam Dunn Thread - from the ORG "Dunn Appreciation Thread"

I love the point you made about the Reds Organization, the announcers, etc. about marketing Dunn as the "Big Donkey" honestly I can remember a Red who played as big of a role on the Reds marketed less. Even with events like Dunn bobblehead night he is wearing an 80's retro outfit. Why not just a normal Dunn bobblehead. To me the organization was one of the biggest culprits in the image Dunn now has.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dunn was just walked again... He has no reached base 19 times in 8 games since joining AZ. Folks on Dback message boards are eating him up.

Dback announcers are even telling people that they need to look past BA and focus more on OBP. They are talking about the major effect Dunn has had on the lineup.

While I advocated for the trade, I still wished the Big Lug all the best in the desert.

But then I read the column today on yahoo.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Am I remembering wrong? Werent we in a little pennant push two years ago... leading the wild card as late as early September? And didn't Adam bellyflop in the final month?

I do like the guy and wish him well. Just quotes/tone like that rub me the wrong way.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    Dunn hit a 3 run HR off of Peavy in the 1st inning tonight. Just another HR with guys on base to get his team back in the game.
    Yeah, but I'm sure he cost them 2-3 in the field

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Dunn was just walked again... He has no reached base 19 times in 8 games since joining AZ. Folks on Dback message boards are eating him up.
    YEAHBUT!!! he's only got 8 hits in 8 games. And 11 walks. And 7 runs. And 8 RBI's. Oh - and ONE Error in LF.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

if you honestly think dunn got to even as many balls as an average outfielder.. you my friend are not watching.. I didnt say it was 2-3 runs a game.. but even having 4 or 5 games in a year where he gives up an extra 2 runs.... negates 5 or 6 of his homers.. 8-10 rbis from homers that is...

AD wanted out.. he was making excuses for getting out after his boy griffey was traded.. I don't know why NO ONE wants to believe he wasn't coming back anyways.. heck his mom hated marty.. thats enough to leave.. ohh wait.........

BLEEDS this Reds team is not doing it consistently, but they are starting to win the right way.. please oh please go watch another team because you will be sorely disappointed and just pointing fingers when this reds team wins games the way they should.. in GABP small ball players not only get the manufactured runs, but the home runs also come more than most parks..

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    But then I read the column today on yahoo.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Did you read this part?:

“That’s why we’ve got Dunn right there, I guess,” Diamondbacks third baseman Mark Reynolds said. “It’s awesome. He creates so much. It’s pretty cool to have something like that.”

They beat the Padres on Wednesday night, 8-6. They won though their 14-game winner, Dan Haren, allowed four first-inning runs. But with one out, a couple of guys got on, Dunn came up and worked Peavy for seven pitches, the last of which changed everything.
    “I was hoping at 3-2 Jake wouldn’t throw me the slider right there,” Dunn said, “and he didn’t.”

Fastball, down.

“He hits homers,” Peavy said. “He changes games.”

Meanwhile in L.A., Ramirez had a lousy single in four at-bats, the Dodgers lost, and the Diamondbacks are two games up.

“When I talked to Adam, I told him, ‘Don’t try to be something you’re not,’ ” Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin said. “Just be Adam Dunn. And he’s been exactly that.”

Dunn saw 22 pitches in four plate appearances. He walked twice, once after an 0-2 count. He’s going to strike out – “obviously,” he said, “I strike out a lot” – but what happens around those strikeouts is going to help color a division race.

“It just seems like it takes a lot of pressure off a lot of the guys,” Melvin said. “Nailing down the four-hole for us allows guys not to press so much.”

"""

What a concept, actually USING the guy the way he should be, and NOT asking him to be something he's not.

Gee, take pitches, work counts, etc... not "being aggressive for aggressive's sake" as Dusty and some of our fans would ask for.

Good things happen.

WEIRD!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    if you honestly think dunn got to even as many balls as an average outfielder.. you my friend are not watching.. I didnt say it was 2-3 runs a game.. but even having 4 or 5 games in a year where he gives up an extra 2 runs.... negates 5 or 6 of his homers.. 8-10 rbis from homers that is...

AD wanted out.. he was making excuses for getting out after his boy griffey was traded.. I don't know why NO ONE wants to believe he wasn't coming back anyways.. heck his mom hated marty.. thats enough to leave.. ohh wait.........

BLEEDS this Reds team is not doing it consistently, but they are starting to win the right way.. please oh please go watch another team because you will be sorely disappointed and just pointing fingers when this reds team wins games the way they should.. in GABP small ball players not only get the manufactured runs, but the home runs also come more than most parks..
    :deadhorse

I was looking for the "broken record" smilie, but we don't have one...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post

There is just so much wrong with what you said. The Reds got a great great perfromance out of Bronson last night, and they caught a break on a wild pitch and a bloop double that should have been caught. I'll take any win I can get, but the Reds are not going to win any pennants by collecting 6 hits in 2 games. You don't win with small ball! It's nice to see the Reds scratch out a win, but the problem is they won't win unless they get pitching like they did last night. This is a terrible terrible team, that has zero hope next season unless some big aquisitions are made.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Am I remembering wrong? Werent we in a little pennant push two years ago... leading the wild card as late as early September? And didn't Adam bellyflop in the final month?

You aren't "misremembering" a single thing. On the morning of August 25th that year, AD woke up on a team that was tied for first place with a record of 67-61. Funny thing that Dunn wasn't nervous back then and didn't really consider himself to be in a pennant race. Even moreso since it was later in the year and the team had a better winning percentage than the DBacks had when AD was shuffled off to Arizona.

So how did Dunn respond to being in his first "actual" pennant race? To be polite he didn't. The man, considered by some to be "slump-proof", OPSed a whopping .583 in his last 34 games. During this same time span the '100 million-dollar man' drove in just 3 of the 78 runners on base when he came to the plate - an OBI% of 3.85%. Sounds like a slump to me.

And so maybe that is why AD is trying to forget that 2006 ever happened. Responding with those types of numbers, who wouldn't want to forget?

Yet again Dunn gets blamed for the entire offense going in the tank. Nobody on the '06 team played worth a damn the final month of the season.

There is just so much wrong with what you said. The Reds got a great great perfromance out of Bronson last night, and they caught a break on a wild pitch and a bloop double that should have been caught. I'll take any win I can get, but the Reds are not going to win any pennants by collecting 6 hits in 2 games. You don't win with small ball! It's nice to see the Reds scratch out a win, but the problem is they won't win unless they get pitching like they did last night. This is a terrible terrible team, that has zero hope next season unless some big aquisitions are made.

you are right.. some of the defense and things that they did as a team werent the other part of it..

3 things for a successful team..
    1)Pitching.. sure had it last night..
    2)Defense.. ALSO sure had it last night
    3)ability to create and score enough runs to win.. ALSO sure had that last night..

when was the last time in a week this team has had multiple times in games where a guy gets on second with no outs.. then a ground ball to the right side advances him to third.. and then a sac fly scores him..

I said those 3 things were the crucial part of this teams success.. and if you improve 1 and 2 like they have.. part 3 will be alot easier on you as this young ball club matures..

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Yet again Dunn gets blamed for the entire offense going in the tank.
    Wrong. No one is placing the '06 collapse on Adam Dunn. That post was merely a response to AD saying that he had "never" been in a pennant race before. Which is entirely incorrect, he had been. I was just offering up one possible reason why it slipped Dunn's mind.

Regardless, if a player says something dumb, or takes a back-handed swipe at the Reds' organization, shouldn't they be called on it? I think they should.

We'll see how many times that get as lucky as the did last night... Without outstanding pitching, the Reds are going to be terrible!

It amazes me how much you guys love these productive outs!

Turn Off Ads?