Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Ramon A. Ramirez

  1. #1
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    16,003

    Ramon A. Ramirez

    I hadn't really noticed this guy until perusing the Bats stats this morning. I can't quite get a hold of his background / track record, because it seems to be mixed up with the Ramon Ramirez on the Royals. Anybody have the goods on him?

    From what I can tell, it looks like he deserves to be in the mix with Maloney, Thomson, Bailey, and Livingston.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 08-20-2008 at 12:46 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,321

    Re: Ramon A. Ramirez

    Good velo on his FB, 90-96 MPH, very good change up and reportedly throws a split finger. Short right hander though, so bullpen is likely his future.

  4. #3
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Ramon A. Ramirez

    Apparently he's got a pretty solid breaking ball too according to a poster on here who saw him pitch live a couple weeks ago. He's already on the 40-man roster so hopefully he gets called up sometime in September.

  5. #4
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    16,003

    Re: Ramon A. Ramirez

    Where did we get him? It looks like he was signed by the Padres, released, and then signed by the Reds as a free agent prior to 2003. Is that right?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  6. #5
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,321

    Re: Ramon A. Ramirez

    We signed him in 2003. He pitched for the Padres for their DSL team in 2000 and 2001. Did not pitch in 2002 for anyone. We signed him and he pitched for our VZL team in 2003 before coming stateside in 2004 with us. Thats from the Reds media guide.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,173

    Re: Ramon A. Ramirez

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    From what I can tell, it looks like he deserves to be in the mix with Maloney, Thomson, Bailey, and Livingston.
    http://minors.baseball-reference.com....cgi?pid=26692

    Over the last two years his H/9 are under 8 and K/9 are over 9. His numbers have steadily improved with promotions. I am adding him to my list.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Prospect, KY
    Posts
    534

    Re: Ramon A. Ramirez

    I'd really like to see him get a start after the Bats' playoffs. I was really impressed with his stuff and demeanor out on the mound.

    He's pitching tonight for Louisville. If I didn't have a baseball game myself, I'd be there.
    Last edited by AccordinglyReds; 08-20-2008 at 01:51 PM.

  9. #8
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: Ramon A. Ramirez

    Last year, he was second in the Reds' minor league organization in strikeouts (behind Johnny Cueto). This past winter, the Reds made some people scratch their heads when they added Ramirez to the 40-man roster (over Carlos Guevara, among others) to protect him from the rule five draft, and it looks like the Reds might have made the right decision.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: Ramon A. Ramirez

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    From what I can tell, it looks like he deserves to be in the mix with Maloney, Thomson, Bailey, and Livingston.
    Livingston?

    Ramirez was princeton's preseason sleeper pick (gave him a slight nod over DThompson)

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    584

    Re: Ramon A. Ramirez

    I saw him pitch in Columbus, and he pitched very well. I heard a great inteview about him with Ted Power. Power said Ramirez's changeup is good enough that even when people know it is coming they can't hit it. Seems like his numbers suggest he should get a legitimate shot especially since he is already on the 40 man roster. If we are going to put him in the bullpen because he is short and right handed then does that mean Cueto is going to the bullpen also?

  12. #11
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,321

    Re: Ramon A. Ramirez

    Quote Originally Posted by kfm View Post
    I saw him pitch in Columbus, and he pitched very well. I heard a great inteview about him with Ted Power. Power said Ramirez's changeup is good enough that even when people know it is coming they can't hit it. Seems like his numbers suggest he should get a legitimate shot especially since he is already on the 40 man roster. If we are going to put him in the bullpen because he is short and right handed then does that mean Cueto is going to the bullpen also?
    Cueto is a bit of a different pitcher than Ramirez is....

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    584

    Re: Ramon A. Ramirez

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Cueto is a bit of a different pitcher than Ramirez is....
    Can you expand a little bit on that? I thought after Moneyball, this whole short right handed thing had been put to bed.

  14. #13
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,388

    Re: Ramon A. Ramirez

    By "different" he means "better".

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    584

    Re: Ramon A. Ramirez

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    By "different" he means "better".
    So is your point that Ramirez cannot be a starter because he is short and right handed or is your point that he is not good enough to be a starter. It was a cute comment, but it doesn't really explain anything. I am really trying to find out why we are willing to simply dismiss everything about a pitcher and just say short and right handed equals bullpen. If no one has a good answer, which I suspect no one actually does, that is fine, but if someone does have a good answer I would like to understand this point of view.
    Last edited by kfm; 08-20-2008 at 09:59 PM.

  16. #15
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,388

    Re: Ramon A. Ramirez

    Quote Originally Posted by kfm View Post
    So is your point that Ramirez cannot be a starter because he is short and right handed or is your point that he is not good enough to be a starter. It was a cute comment, but it doesn't really explain anything.
    Saying he can't be a starter because he is short and right handed would be a dumb comment. I don't think anybody said he has to be in the bullpen because he is short and right handed.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25