Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Madonna = 50 yrs old?!

Madonna = 50 yrs old?!

Most Zoners probably don't like her, but I for one still enjoy her music. I really can't believe she's 50

I had a real "wake-up" the other day when a friend of mine called to see if I would be going to our 25th year high school reunion in June. I was like "what are you talking about, it hasn't been that long".

Time is sure flying the past few years.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Re: Madonna = 50 yrs old?!

The wheel in the sky keeps in turning.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Those who dig the music from the decade prior to Madonna's debut will be interested to hear that Robert Plant turns 60 next week.
    /r/reds

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

For having little musical talent, Madonna is undoubtedly one of the biggest phenomenons to hit pop music in the history of the genre. She ruled the charts for most of the 80's and into the 90's, with a few comebacks sprinkled here and there. Ray of Light is one of my favorite CD's of the past 10 years or so. Like A Prayer will always be my favorite complete disc, though-Madonna in peak form. Favorite individual tracks: Live to Tell, Into the Groove, Frozen, and Oh Father (the song that ended her consecutive top 10 streak at something like 17) to name a few.

She'll go down as one of the greats, which is a testament to her marketing instincts and ability to reinvent herself.

Yeah, Madonna's talent isn't her singing, it's her understanding of marketing and image in the pop culture world she dominates.

She had the perfect look for the times when she burst onto the scene in the 80's. And she's been able to reinvent herself a few times since then.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I probably dislike 19 of every 20 songs she puts out, and the others I can take or leave.

But what do I know about the music business? I thought Cyndi Lauper would have the superstar career and that Madonna would be as forgotten as Tiffani by now.
    Stick to your guns.

Who ended up winning that Tiffany - Debbie Gibson battle, anyway?

"Deborah" Gibson's appearing on higher-class reality shows now, so I guess she won.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

They're tied in "do-whatever-I-can-in-a-vain-attempt-to-revive-my-career" Playboy appearances at one apiece, are they not?

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Those who dig the music from the decade prior to Madonna's debut will be interested to hear that Robert Plant turns 60 next week.
    yeah, but he only looks about 58....

FWIW, I got to see him last month touring with Alison Krauss. They both still sounded great.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    They're tied in "do-whatever-I-can-in-a-vain-attempt-to-revive-my-career" Playboy appearances at one apiece, are they not?
    Tiffany looked much much better in hers than D. Gibson, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    "Deborah" Gibson's appearing on higher-class reality shows now, so I guess she won.
    Didn't she have a 2-headed love child with Mojo Nixon?

I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?