Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Lohse handed five-game suspension

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lohse handed five-game suspension

I saw this on the bottom of ESPN and the Cardinals site confirms it:

08/20/2008 5:26 PM ET
    Lohse handed five-game suspension

ST. LOUIS -- Cardinals pitcher Kyle Lohse was suspended five games Wednesday for throwing a fastball past the head of Cincinnati pitcher Edinson Volquez last weekend.

Lohse appealed the penalty, and can continue to play until a hearing is held.

Major League Baseball disciplinarian Bob Watson also fined Lohse an undisclosed amount.

St. Louis is second in the NL wild card race. The Cardinals played Pittsburgh at home on Wednesday night.

Trouble between Lohse and Volquez started in the fifth inning of the Reds' 7-3 win Sunday at Cincinnati.

Lohse batted in the top half with two runners on base, and Volquez threw up-and-in to the Cardinals pitcher. Volquez led the bottom half and Lohse's first pitch was high-and-tight, leading plate umpire Greg Gibson to warn both teams.

"Same spot," Lohse said after the game. "Wasn't trying to hit him, though."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=stl

Re: Lohse handed five-game suspension

Isn't LaRussa a real stickler about pitchers who throw at batters?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Isn't LaRussa a real stickler about pitchers who throw at batters?
    According to him, IIRC Harang is a headhunter.

Good for MLB. That was about as blatant a retaliation as I've seen in some time for an action that was clearly accidental.

I've got no problem with guys throwing inside, even plunking a guy in the thigh or ribs on occasion. But I don't care about the storied hubris of old. Purposefully throwing one near a guy's head is an absolute no-no and borderline criminal.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Good. Kyle Lohse is a punk.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Good. Kyle Lohse is a punk.
    But what about the fact that our guy did it first (as reported)?

Lets turn the tables - if Lohse had thrown high and tight to Volquez, and then Volquez "retaliated", then would your position be the same?

How many batters did Cueto hit in last nights game because he was trying to take control of the inside of the zone?

I'm not saying that what Lohse did was appropriate - or that MLB shouldn't have taken action - only some of the hypocrisy I sometimes see.
    Last edited by GAC; 08-20-2008 at 08:15 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    But what about when our guy did it first (as reported)?

Lets turn the tables - if Lohse had thrown high and tight to Volquez, and then Volquez "retaliated", then would your position be the same?
    Volquez's was clearly unintentional. And I'm not just calling him a punk because he threw at Volquez's head, it's pretty much known around baseball that Lohse is a crybaby and a punk. He was hated in Minnesota by Ron Gardenhire and others for his attitude problems. I don't have a problem with plunking hitters in the back or butt, but intentionally throwing at someones head is idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

How many batters did Cueto hit in last nights game because he was trying to take control of the inside of the zone?
    That is different, Cubs players are subhuman.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 08-20-2008 at 08:33 PM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I like the irony of th ump in StL for this brushback drama being named "Gibson"

Good for EV, I hope he establishes himself as someone who will own the plate, and throw inside whenever he wants. Kind of the 'Anti-Harang' if you will.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

It wouldn't surprise me if Lohse had been instructed to throw at Volquez in order to rattle him, because Edinson was shutting the Cards down that day.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Part of his suspension should also call for him to shave that Va-jay-jay off his chin.

"Million dollar arm, 10-cent brain." Where have I heard that before? I was watching the game and the idea that Volquez was trying to throw at him is about the most ridiculous thing I could ever imagine. Kyle is just a little whining punk and his attitude is a big reason no one wanted to give him a LTC last offseason.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Reggie Sanders charging the mound when Pedro had a perfect game going thinks Kyle Lohse was foolish for thinking Volquez was throwing at him.

Turn Off Ads?