Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bronson Arroyo

Bronson Arroyo

I tell you what.......if Dusty had removed Bronson in that Toronto game he got blasted for 10 runs in the first inning, when he should have........and then removed Bronson from the Atlanta game on May 14th where he gave up 7 runs in 1 inning...........Arroyo's e.r.a. would only be 4.37. Those 2 games alone inflated his e.r.a tremendously and added almost an entire run to his e.r.a.

I blame it on the manager.

Arroyo hasn't pitched that badly overall..........especially in comparison to Harang. I thought he pitched a whale of a game tonight against a pretty good team.

I'm glad he's still here and I think he has more in the tank.

In fact if you remove 3 bad outings:
    April 23rd........3.2 innings, 10 hits, 8 runs allowed, NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED.......
    May 4th against Atlanta.........1.1 innings, 7 runs allowed, 1 HR allowed.....
    June 24th against Toronto........1.0 inning, 11 hits, 10 runs allowed, 3 HR allowed.....

Dusty should have never left him in those games. That is ridiculous. He didn't have it and Dusty made him take one for the team. Bullcrap.

Deduct those runs from his e.r.a. and you get 144.2 innings pitched, 64 earned runs............equals an e.r.a. of .........3.99........

How do you like them apples?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bronson Arroyo

Arroyo gave us what we thought Fogg would give us this year....a .500-pitcher with good outings and bad outings, an ERA around 5.00, and that goes out there every day.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I tell you what.......if Dusty had removed Bronson in that Toronto game he got blasted for 10 runs in the first inning, when he should have........and then removed Bronson from the Atlanta game on May 14th where he gave up 7 runs in 1 inning...........Arroyo's e.r.a. would only be 4.37. Those 2 games alone inflated his e.r.a tremendously and added almost an entire run to his e.r.a.

I blame it on the manager.

Arroyo hasn't pitched that badly overall..........especially in comparison to Harang. I thought he pitched a whale of a game tonight against a pretty good team.

I'm glad he's still here and I think he has more in the tank.

In fact if you remove 3 bad outings:
    April 23rd........3.2 innings, 10 hits, 8 runs allowed, NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED.......
    May 4th against Atlanta.........1.1 innings, 7 runs allowed, 1 HR allowed.....
    June 24th against Toronto........1.0 inning, 11 hits, 10 runs allowed, 3 HR allowed.....

Dusty should have never left him in those games. That is ridiculous. He didn't have it and Dusty made him take one for the team. Bullcrap.

Deduct those runs from his e.r.a. and you get 144.2 innings pitched, 64 earned runs............equals an e.r.a. of .........3.99........

How do you like them apples?
    Sometimes a pitcher has to just take one for the team and get shelled for a few innings. Sometime a team can't afford to have a starter got 1 inning on an already overtaxed bullpen. That would have just meant more innings possibly for Burton who is hurt, and otherguys who had been overworked at periods. When you know off the get go a pitcher doesn't "have it" you hope they can work through it and give you 4 or 5 innings of 5 or 6 run ball. The thing with Arroyo is is that when he is bad, he is just bad and can't make it that far.

On another note, this year is similar to last year in the sense Bronson had a stretch of bad starts and otherwise was very solid. Last year he had more quality starts than Santana, thats not half bad.

I was happy with the game he had last night.. that the bullpen came out as strong as ever.. ESP to see cordero in a semipressure situation..

CoCo is like Arroyo in the bullpen. When he's bad he's bad. When he's good he's good.

Arroyo has been solid except for a few blowups and I like it when he hits homers against the cubs and cards

Thats easy to say, but as a manager, i think you hesitate to take your starter out in the 1st inning, realizing the bullpen has to pitch 8-9 innings then, and you've probably already lost the game at that point anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    Thats easy to say, but as a manager, i think you hesitate to take your starter out in the 1st inning, realizing the bullpen has to pitch 8-9 innings then, and you've probably already lost the game at that point anyway.
    Ditto. As much as I hate to type this, Baker did okay with Bronson. I hate to see those numbers inflated, too.

....yeah, allowing your starting pitcher to give up 10 runs in the first inning IS CONCEEDING THE GAME. Sends a good message to your offense, doesn't it?

Why not try and win EVERY GAME? I guess that is a new concept for the Reds Organization and their fans. He coulda yanked Bronson and put in one of the long relievers. But I know nobody would ever think of that.

Guess I should throw my hat in for manager.

soo chatter after 4 runs we should pull the starter then? and then whoever gives up 2 more runs should stay in until the game is over? j/w... to be completely honest.. when a lead is blow over the 6/6 rule.. when you are down by 6 after the 6th.. i say let the pitcher that needs the most work.. MAJEWSKI finish the game.. not worth using 9 pitchers in a game where your chance of coming back are soo slim..

according to espn the reds have a less than 28% chance of scoring 1 run each inning before they come to bat...
    soo even .28^3 tells us their probability of scoring 3 runs is less than 2%..
    Last edited by Ahhhorsepoo; 08-22-2008 at 08:29 AM.

Turn Off Ads?