Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little worried about Bruce

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

A little worried about Bruce

I guess its less concerning since the whole offense isn't hitting. But Jay Bruce is not hitting .260 even right now.

I expected a lot more from him. They've quit for the year it seems (not necessarily Jay) but the whole team looks dead, and has a 'ghost town' feel to them.

They've made it easy for me to declare it football season. The games arent even fun to watch anymore.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A little worried about Bruce

Bruce is the next Brandon Larson.

hes a rookie, this year doenst matter at all. what he does next year will begin to tell you how good he is going to be.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

There's no protection for him in this lineup whatsoever and the league has discovered where the holes in his swing are. That's a bad combo. Still not worried about the guy at all. He'll hopefully get some GOOD coaching in the off-season and come out guns ablaze next year.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

He has the almighty Brandon Phillips as protection!

But seriously... I'm worried but I'm not. He is not ready and will not be ready next season to carry the Reds offense. He doesn't command the strikezone. You can get the guy out without throwing the ball over the plate. This is a trait that normally develops with age, but at this point in his career Jay Bruce is a 6-7 hole hitter. All I can say is this team is going to be terrible next season if they are counting on Jay and Brandon to carry the load.

It seemed to me that Bruce is pulling off of everything. When he first was up, he was taking pitches all over the park. He should be fine. I am sure he is really pressing a bunch.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I bet he challenges AD's strikeout record next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I bet he challenges AD's strikeout record next season.
    If he can OPS like Dunn, that is fine, but I don't see that in year 2 (1.5).

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    hes a rookie, this year doenst matter at all. what he does next year will begin to tell you how good he is going to be.
    At what point does it become CLEAR how good he's going to be? Sorry, but absolving a player because "he's a rookie" seems a bit suspicious to me. Even more so that you mention that next year will "begin to tell". Do you give it 3 years before the story is clear on Bruce?

If Jay Bruce is the Reds biggest concern, then this team will be fantastic. He's young and taking some lumps right now. However, he will be a star. He is a can't miss player!
    Just be patient Reds fans.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    If he can OPS like Dunn, that is fine, but I don't see that in year 2 (1.5).

PEACE

-BLEEDS

OPS is useless... if you strike out you can't be productive!

He's 21 years old and batting .260 in the major leagues. Gimme a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    OPS is useless... if you strike out you can't be productive!
    Here we go again....
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    He's 21 years old and batting .260 in the major leagues. Gimme a break.
    I am his biggest pundit/supporter.

I am just saying I expected more.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I think on a team that has other players who actually hit and drive in runs, he might do better.

Turn Off Ads?