Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Rebuild or Reload?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rebuild. This team will be rebuild over the next three years.

15 21.74%
  • Reload. Will be a major player in free agency and in trade talks.

37 53.62%
  • Build

14 20.29%
  • Load

3 4.35%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reload or Rebuild?

Reload or Rebuild?

Do you think the Reds will go in a full rebuilding mode or reload and become a major player in free agency and in the trade market this offseason?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reload or Rebuild?

I'm wondering how one reloads when there weren't any bullets in the chamber to begin with.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Being a major player in the trade market means dealing youth, which would include guys like Votto, Bruce, Frazier, Stubbs, Bruce, etc.

Being a major player in the FA market means that there has to be major players available in FA. It also means you will need to be spending oodles of $$$$$$.

I don't see either being an option this year. Hence the reason why I have been clamoring for a "plan" for the past few years.

I'll be the first to say reload. The Reds aren't paying Dusty Baker 3 million a year to watch a rebuilding process the next three years. With over 30 million freed in the departures of Griffey, Dunn, Ross, Hatteberg, Stanton, Weathers, Bako, Valentin, and others' contracts off the books, the Reds will be looking to acquire a major bat like Texieria, Ramirez and Holliday.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm wondering how one reloads when there weren't any bullets in the chamber to begin with.
    Then I guess you say load. Payroll flexibility. Isn't it what's it all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    I'll be the first to say reload. The Reds aren't paying Dusty Baker 3 million a year to watch a rebuilding process the next three years. With over 30 million freed in the departures of Griffey, Dunn, Ross, Hatteberg, Stanton, Weathers, Bako, Valentin, and others' contracts off the books, the Reds will be looking to acquire a major bat like Texieria, Ramirez and Holliday.
    That would probably equate to Teixeira and 8 replacement level players coming in. Does that make this team playoff worthy?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'd prefer rebuild, but I imagine Castellini is pushing for reload. He's not a patient person.
    /r/reds

beware of those vapor bullets.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

FIFY

Without Dunn, you're going to have to rebuild, and it's going to take a long time.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Without Dunn, you're going to have to rebuild, and it's going to take a long time.
    Raisor, you just don't get it. Winning is inevitable now that Dunn is gone.

Rebuilding could happen within two years if the GM makes a lot of good decisions and has a big enough pair to make tough decisions and then be right about them. The conservative route we have seen the Reds take for so long will not work, Jocketty has to be very aggressive and very smart ... and a bit lucky as well.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I would advise Reds fans not to get their hopes up for a big FA signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    I think the team can improve itself in the W-L column while rebuilding.

I know others may say this is a half-hearted way of rebuilding, and everything should be burnt to the ground, but I disagree.

Milwaukee built itself up pretty well without burning the entire team to the ground. It's not necessary to do a Marlins' style slash and burn.

There is no question in my mind that this offseason Jocketty is going to add one or two outfielders that are ready to play and produce now. I don't know if it will come through trade or FA, but it will happen. If Walt can trade for a decent OF with maybe 3 years of experience, that player may still be contributing when the next group of talent from the minors arrives..
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I would like to say rebuild. But I can see this team throwing major money at a FA, which I don't really agree with.

Turn Off Ads?