Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: What college did you go to and what did you major in?

Re: What college did you go to and what did you major in?

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    I was very close to Sports Admin at UC, but ended up doing Pharmacy. Oh well we'll see how it goes.
    My sister earned her PharmD at UC. Those two years of pre-pharm are so very important. Looking back on her application process, she had pre-pharm classmates with over a 3.6 who did not get accepted into the PharmD program. I don't mean to intimidate you to program, just be mindful that it is competitive and let that drive you to excel.

Enjoy UC. I spent five wonderful years there.

I have a B.S. in electrical engineering. I start part-time graduate classes for my M.S.E.E. in a few weeks.
    Last edited by paintmered; 08-24-2008 at 08:34 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    My sister earned her PharmD at UC. Those two years of pre-pharm are so very important. Looking back on her application process, she had pre-pharm classmates with over a 3.6 who did not get accepted into the PharmD program. I don't mean to intimidate you to program, just be mindful that it is competitive and let that drive you to excel.

Enjoy UC. I spent five wonderful years there.

I have a B.S. in electrical engineering. I start part-time graduate classes for my M.S.E.E. in a few weeks.
    Oh you scared me.

I realize the competitiveness, and i'm hoping if I don't get into the Pharmacy program that I can fallback onto a Chemistry degree or Biology degree.

I'm not entirely sure, but do you know if they look at more than just GPA when admitting students into the school of Pharmacy?

Oh you scared me.

I realize the competitiveness, and i'm hoping if I don't get into the Pharmacy program that I can fallback onto a Chemistry degree or Biology degree.

I'm not entirely sure, but do you know if they look at more than just GPA when admitting students into the school of Pharmacy?
    There's an interview and they look at the full resume. If you are well-rounded, and don't embarrass yourself in an interview, you shouldn't have any problem being accepted with a 3.5 or greater. The student I alluded to earlier was not well-rounded. Another student said that he "wasn't good at following directions" in the interview. Whoops.

But, GPA is very important and I'd consider a 3.5 GPA to be the minimum requirement to gain entrance into pharmacy school. Take advantage of all the academic support opportunities in the math and science courses. There are people out there to make sure you do well in these pre-pharm classes, but it's up to you to use them. Participate in extra-curricular activities and community service projects. They're a great way to meet people while building a resume. Lastly, limit partying to the weekends. Stick with those three things, and you're well on your way.

It is challenging, but that doesn't mean it has to be intimidating. Also, remember that you aren't in this alone. Make friends with others in your program. Push each other and learn from each other. Peers are great motivators when it comes to doing well at school.
    Last edited by paintmered; 08-24-2008 at 09:11 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Oh you scared me.

Not sure about UC, but almost everyone requires the PCAT. The PCAT is basically a SAT type test the focuses on your Bio, Anatomy, Chem and Organic Chem studies. Also has a verbal and math component. Not as tough as it may seem as your grade on it is relative to the rest of your peers taking the test.
    I would suggest showing some interest in pharmacy in your work experience. I didn't start working in a pharmacy till after I began applying, but interviewers seemed to appreciate the fact that I was making the effort. It will also help you decide if it's something you really want to do. So go get a job in some sort of pharm related field for a day or 2 a week(BTW, retail seems to be on the way out, so don't dread that as the only option for pharmacist.)

I graduated from the College-Conservatory of Music at UC in 2006 with a BM in trumpet performance. Currently at OSU College of Medicine, expecting graduation in 2010.

Thanks for all the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Miami University
    Finance
    I'm thinking about the same program at Miami. Are you happy with the job it got you, and is there any advice you can lend me?

Thanks

Can't go wrong with a finance degree from Miami.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I was recruited by BGSU in 1989 to play baseball (no schollie though, just preferred walk-on).

So, we could have been knuckleheads together back then, but I decided to be a knucklehead in Columbus. And was I ever.

For. Six. Long. Years.
    I certainly didn't need any *more* help.

BGSU had open tryouts for the baseball team. I picked up my glove and spikes and started walking out to the tryouts with one of my room mates. About 1/2 way out we started talking about beer. We got about another 100 yds and decided we should buy a keg instead of trying out for the team. *sigh*

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post

BGSU had open tryouts for the baseball team. I picked up my glove and spikes and started walking out to the tryouts with one of my room mates. About 1/2 way out we started talking about beer. We got about another 100 yds and decided we should buy a keg instead of trying out for the team. *sigh*

GL
    Sounds about right.

Bowling Green. BS in Advertising and Marketing. Marketing Manager for Marriott.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post

GL
    I was just on the BG site a little while ago going through some different things relating to homecoming, the football schedule, etc. when I saw a note that the baseball team is about to have open tryouts. Hey, I've still got a year of eligibility left! What if I enroll in classes and show up at the tryouts? Does the head coach have a sense of humor? Would he find empathy with a 62 y.o. infielder with bad knees and a bum shoulder? Would the kids in the locker room look up to me or would I just be 'old school' to them?

Rem

University of Northern Iowa BA Ed
    Indian Hills Community College AAS Computer Programming/Systems Analysis
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

1990-1993: Wright State University - Beer and Co-eds
    1995-1998: Tennessee Tech University - B.S. Animal Science
    2002-2006: University of Tennessee - Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.

Bought out my former employer this spring. Currently building a new equine veterinary clinic.

Bowling Green, class of December 2001, majored in Management Information Systems.

Turn Off Ads?