Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: What college did you go to and what did you major in?

Re: What college did you go to and what did you major in?

just moved in at Miami University

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Drew University - BA, History and Theatre Arts
    L'Ecole Internationale de Theatre Jacques Lecoq - Certificate in Physical Theatre

A pseudo internets beer to anyone who's ever heard of either of those schools.

I also did post-grad work at the American Conservatory Theatre in San Francisco, which may be the best education I've ever had.

I actually do work in my chosen field, which accounts for the extremely sporadic nature of my employment. It also means I have to find alternate creative ways to pay the bills sometimes. I do a lot of editing work so I've gotten pretty good at that, not that anyone would know that from my posts.
    Jersey pride.
    Last edited by edabbs44; 08-22-2008 at 09:27 PM.

The College of NJ (aka Trenton State College), BS in Law and Justice

Working for an investment bank. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    So we should call you Dr. Falls City Beer?
    A different Doctor, perhaps.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Kentucky Christian University 2007: Business Administration/Marketing

Currently working as a telesales representative for a security company. Absolutely hate it and don't know what I want to do with my life. I'd probably go back to school, but recently married and can't afford it. Just living the dream...
    We'll win it all next year...

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Sadly this theatre just declared bankrupcy earlier this year.
    Wow, I had not heard that. A good friend of mine just started a fellowship at a theater in Minneapolis and I'm surprised she hasn't mentioned it. I always assumed that Jeune Lune did very well in Minneapolis...is there any chance they will survive this?

A lot of great theater companies have come out of Lecoq...Pig Iron, Footsbarn, Cirque du Soleil, and what I believe to be the greatest theater company on the planet, Theatre Complicite in London. It is an extraordinary school in many ways, and definitely the only place in the world I could have gotten that training. I do have very mixed feelings about my education there, though. Jacques Lecoq had died less than two years before I got there and I think the school was in a state of transition. What they teach is incredible -- seriously mind-blowing, really organic stuff -- but their teaching methods range from joyous to downright brutal. They do not believe in students asking questions (especially in the first year) or in positive feedback. And there is a cutthroatness and snobbery about it which means you're not supposed to talk about that part of the school. I had to grow about 10 layers of skin just to survive, and holy crap, did I smoke like a nerve-ridden chimney when I was there. But I did it and it was probably good for me.

So people have heard not only of Drew but of Lecoq as well. My mind is officially blown. And yes, Dom, the name often makes people smile. Run around your professional life telling people you went to school at Jock Lecock. Go ahead, try it

Sorry to hijack the thread. It's not often that I get to talk about this stuff with baseball people.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I had to grow about 10 layers of skin just to survive, and holy crap, did I smoke like a nerve-ridden chimney when I was there.

VP, you really do have an incredible gift for expressing yourself. You write some funny and clever stuff.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    So we should call you Dr. Falls City Beer?
    Beats Dr. Detroit

Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Wow, I had not heard that. A good friend of mine just started a fellowship at a theater in Minneapolis and I'm surprised she hasn't mentioned it. I always assumed that Jeune Lune did very well in Minneapolis...is there any chance they will survive this?

A lot of great theater companies have come out of Lecoq...Pig Iron, Footsbarn, Cirque du Soleil, and what I believe to be the greatest theater company on the planet, Theatre Complicite in London.
    Survival depends on how you define it. I'm sure the actors will find work.
    Theatre Complicite is amazing, I agree. Their "street of crocodiles" opened up new perspectives and vistas on art, life and the 20th century. One of the best productions I have ever seen.

It used to, but it's lost some popularity over the last few years (it won the Tony for best regional theatre in 2005). As you know I'm an avid theatre goer myself and I've lived in the Twin Cities for two years now and have been there once. I saw Figaro. It was a very interesting and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it wasn't for the masses. They're very innovative, but my understanding from folks who have lived here for a while is that they've really gone a lot further "out there" than they used to. I don't know if that's true, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's too bad because with the travesty that has become Broadway (may as well rename it Disney mid-town) over the past 5 years, we need more innovators and original artists.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Drew University - BA, History and Theatre Arts
    L'Ecole Internationale de Theatre Jacques Lecoq - Certificate in Physical Theatre

A pseudo internets beer to anyone who's ever heard of either of those schools.

At least one member of my high school class went to Drew (high school class of '90). Also, a member of my grad school (Sports Management) class was a Drew grad and baseball player there. He now works in Development for Boston College.... like they need money.
    Stick to your guns.

So people have heard not only of Drew but of Lecoq as well. My mind is officially blown. And yes, Dom, the name often makes people smile. Run around your professional life telling people you went to school at Jock Lecock. Go ahead, try it

Sorry to hijack the thread. It's not often that I get to talk about this stuff with baseball people.
    See, that's what's great about RZ. Here you can discuss theater AND giggle about "Lecock" at the same time. It's like James Lipton meets Bevis and Butthead.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Sorry, but I couldn't help thinking of some poor soul explaining how he/she was headmaster or headmistress at Lecock.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    It used to, but it's lost some popularity over the last few years (it won the Tony for best regional theatre in 2005). As you know I'm an avid theatre goer myself and I've lived in the Twin Cities for two years now and have been there once. I saw Figaro. It was a very interesting and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it wasn't for the masses. They're very innovative, but my understanding from folks who have lived here for a while is that they've really gone a lot further "out there" than they used to. I don't know if that's true, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's too bad because with the travesty that has become Broadway (may as well rename it Disney mid-town) over the past 5 years, we need more innovators and original artists.
    We used to go to most of the TJL productions for years, but in the last few years they have done fewer new productions and presented mostly older productions, like Figaro, which first was presented in 2003. As their reputation grew, they focused a lot of time and resources on national and international tours and sacrificed some of their twin cities focus.
    The last great TJL I saw were their 2 Moliere productions in 2006: Tartuffe and the Miser - which was a great season with Kafka's Amerikka, and mefistofele. After that year, four of the original five members either left the company or stepped down from their co-Artistic Director positions, leaving Dominic Serrand as the sole Director. The 2007 season programming was a huge disappointment and then of course 2008 followed.
    I'll miss them - locally only the Guthrie's productions are on the same level and their programming can be very conservative a lot of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    See, that's what's great about RZ. Here you can discuss theater AND giggle about "Lecock" at the same time. It's like James Lipton meets Bevis and Butthead.
    Butt-head: Heh heh, heh heh, heh heh. Your name is Lipton.
    Beavis: Hey, Lipton. Say "Splendiferous." Say it. Say it. "Splendiferous." Yeah.

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?