Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds expected to dip further into market

Reds expected to dip further into market

• The Reds dipped in with high-priced closer Francisco Cordero and high-priced manager Dusty Baker, and some are expecting them to be even bigger players in the free-agent market this winter.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...den/index.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds expected to dip further into market

dip further wouldn't mean scrape bottom, would it?

Haunted by walks

Dipping any further in the market would get you delisted.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    dip further wouldn't mean scrape bottom, would it?
    Oh my god are they going to add another large city team to the central division? :all_cohol

Unlikely to really dive head first I would think, but maybe times are changing. What this team could use is a power bat/high OBP type. Seems like Adam Dunn would be the perfect fit. How ironic.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Teixiera and Sabathia are the only real names that I could see qualifying as "bigger than Cordero." Unless they were talking about an injured wing, like Sheets or Burnett...

Can't imagine they'd go after Tex after signing Alonso and trading Dunn. I guess I could see the latter (hopefully Sheets rather than Burnett) if they traded Arroyo and some prospects for Holliday. Then we WOULD be contending in 2009, no doubt.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan View Post
    Unlikely to really dive head first I would think, but maybe times are changing. What this team could use is a power bat/high OBP type. Seems like Adam Dunn would be the perfect fit. How ironic.
    Have too much weight and you will dip far too fast. Better shed Dusty beforehand.

While there is no way they will get him, I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds make a run at Sabathia. There was a blurb from Baseball Prospectus a while back that mentioned baseball insiders believe the Reds will be a darkhorse candidate to land Sabathia this offseason. Again, I don't see it happening but it was interesting to read that and then read little piece.

Sabathia threw 130 pitches in his last start. I hope we do a detailed physical before we sink 100 million into that guy.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan View Post
    Dunn was on the roster for 7 consecutive seasons and not once did the Reds finish over .500. To Dunn's defense he was always batted 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th and never really in the 3 or 4 hole which I think suits him. Another point to be made is he never had the right mix of pitching or hitters or both during that time. But to say he would be a perfect fit on this team is where I can't seem to agree. This team needs 3 Adam Dunns and at least 3 of them to hit around .275. Dunn's price tag is a major reason he was moved which is a major reason they will look for a cheaper alternative come 2009.

this was posted on SI. per traderumours.com

""Some are expecting" the Reds to be big players in free agency this year. The Reds figure to be in the market for catching and outfield help. Manny Ramirez would be interesting."

I cant Manny here....

some.... MAY be expecting it. But we'll see.

Ain't no way they are interested in C.C..... or likewise is he interested in the Reds. Thats a pipe dream IMO.

Next year they will be paying almost 36 mil (collectively) on three of their pitchers (Harang, Arroyo, Cordero). That's nearing almost half your yearly payroll.

So they then are going to invest 20+ mil/yr on a C.C., sinking almost 60 mil of a possible 80 mil payroll on 4 guys, while hamstringing them in being able to invest in other critical areas?

Don't see it happening. Not in this youth movement.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Dunn was on the roster for 7 consecutive seasons and not once did the Reds finish over .500. To Dunn's defense he was always batted 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th and never really in the 3 or 4 hole which I think suits him. Another point to be made is he never had the right mix of pitching or hitters or both during that time. But to say he would be a perfect fit on this team is where I can't seem to agree. This team needs 3 Adam Dunns and at least 3 of them to hit around .275. Dunn's price tag is a major reason he was moved which is a major reason they will look for a cheaper alternative come 2009.
    My point was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but it does seem like a power hitting OFer is now one of this teams most pressing needs (just another one to add to the ever-lengthening list). I am continually amazed at the lengths this organization goes to in order to solve the wrong problems. Sure you may not feel that Dunn is worth what the market may give him, but then you turn around and could theoretically go after a Ramirez or a Texieria to fill that spot and pay them way more money? Brilliant.

The only way this team can actually convince me that they're ready to be players in free agency would be to jettison Arroyo. Free up that cash and then suddenly you actually have a legitimate amount of money to play with and could do some good. The problem is that there really aren't any soon to be free agents that I think would be a good fit here.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

If he finishes off strong, you might be able to deal Arroyo and get a decent bat for him if you send him to Texas or Colorado or somewhere else with a lot of offense. If you do something like Arroyo for Adkins (3B from COL, EE moves to LF) as principles like someone else has suggested I think, then you might have the payroll room next year to offer CC something like 7 yr 140M or 4 yr 100M (take out a big insurance policy either way).

Now, we let Dickerson bat leadoff and play CF and we use any leftover payroll or trading chips to find a SS and C and we're in good shape. JJ Hardy would be my target at SS, although getting MIL to move him will be tough. You could also grab a catcher from Texas for Arroyo and leave EE at third, which would be much easier to deal with grabbing an OF.

Manny Ramirez is a great player, but I don't want the Reds to sign him unless they had a bunch more to go with him. He's a moron too.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?