Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds Affiliation Status

Reds Affiliation Status

The start of the "Affiliation Shuffle" is less than a month away. The fate of the Reds AA and High A affiliations is in doubt. Here's the current status:

The best site to track this is http://www.ballparkdigest.com/affiliates_2008.html along with Baseball America.

Louisville, Dayton and Billings are signed thru 2010

There is NO scenario that would have Lexington be a Reds affiliate.

AA
    The Lookouts didn't want to extend in 2006 but Castellini paid a visit to Lookouts owner Frank Burke and convinced him to give Reds 2 more years. Burke had been concerned about organizational chaos within the Reds and not getting an exhibition game.

Well, the organization chaos (GM's Managers, scouts) has continued and Lookouts got no exhibitions. So it was surprising in June when Burke said they would probably extend with Reds.

David Paschall a reporter with Chattanooga Times-Free Press thought the agreement would be signed when Terry Reynolds visited in early Aug. But Reynolds has come and gone, and no agreement.

Just to give you an idea of how unusual it is for Lookouts to wait this long, in 2002 they renewed in March (4 years), in 2006 it was May. So they've gone from signing early for 4 years, to later for 2 years, to waiting till last minute.

High A
    The Reds own the Sarasota team and with the departure of the Reds to Arizona it seems 99% likely the Reds will leave. For a long time it seemed like the Red Sox would move Spring Training to Sarasota, and grab the Reds High A franchise. But Sarasota looks like they are going to screw this one up too. At any rate it isn't going to happen within the next month.

The Red Sox High A team is in Lancaster (Cal League) but they wanted to go east so badly they bought a team in the Carolina League. (Salem). So at this point it would seem the Bosox will take over Salem and not go to Sarasota. But, Boston isn't going to Arizona for Spring Training no matter what, so I guess it's still a possibility for them to take over Sarasota team and either play in Sarasota or Ft Myers depending on how the Spring Training thing goes.

Obviously, if Boston wants to reacquire the Sarasota franchise, the Reds going to Salem makes a lot of sense.

Complicating matters a bit is talk of moving 2 Cal teams to the Carolina league. I don't know if that can be decided in the next month.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 08-23-2008 at 03:27 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Affiliation Status

So what franchises are available?

AA
    Arkansas (currently Angels)
    Carolina (Marlins)
    Connecticut (Giants)
    Huntsville (Brewers)
    Jacksonville (Dodgers)
    San Antonio (Padres)
    Trenton (Yankees)
    West Tenn (Mariners)

High A
    Ft Myers (Twins) (only club in FSL not owned by MLB team)
    High Desert (Mariners)
    Inland Empire (Dodgers)
    Lake Elsinore (Padres)
    Lancaster (Red Sox)
    Lynchburg (Pirates)
    Salem (Astros) owned by Red Sox
    San Jose (Giants)
    Visalia (DBacks)
    Winston-Salem (White Sox)

These are only ones with affilations ending in 2008. The Astros could be players in the Sarasota deal also. Let's assume Bosox kick them out of Salem. They'd need a High A franchise and they could take over Sarasota and move it to Kissimee (where they do Spring Training). They could also join GCL in Kissimee and give Greenville to Reds.

That would solve the upcoming problem with both the GCL and Az Rookie League both having an odd number of teams.

The other thing that might happen is Reds extend in Sarasota 2 years just to let things shake out.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 08-23-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Good information to have here. Thanks Jax.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Jax Reds.....the Daytona Cubs in the FSL are owned by Big Game Capital, LLC...i perhaps got the heads up since i happen to work down here in Daytona

Is it out of the realm of possibility that somewhere down the line the club might add an additional Single A club? I know some of the teams carry three Single A teams (although I'm not sure if they carry two low A or two high A clubs - I'd guess low A). If we're going to see an influx of talent from all over, it could make sense to have an additional A club.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

A number of teams have a short season A ball affiliate. The Reds don't.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I couldn't care less where the high-A team ends up for some reason. But I will be saddened if the Reds lose Chattanooga as an affiliate. Hopefully they will be able to work out a last-minute deal there.

I would be pretty damn happy if they got out of Sarasota. The sooner the Reds are no longer linked to horse**** town (To quote Aubrey Huff) the better.

I would like to renew with Chatt since it is close to my home but I don't think it is going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BMGreene20 View Post
    Jax Reds.....the Daytona Cubs in the FSL are owned by Big Game Capital, LLC...i perhaps got the heads up since i happen to work down here in Daytona

Some one gave me some bad info !! Thanks

"Is it out of the realm of possibility that somewhere down the line the club might add an additional Single A club? I know some of the teams carry three Single A teams (although I'm not sure if they carry two low A or two high A clubs - I'd guess low A). If we're going to see an influx of talent from all over, it could make sense to have an additional A club."

It's out of the realm for them to pick up a full season A team (High or Low) because there are only enough for each club to have one of each. And each MLB team is required to have one of each. But as KC61 said, they could add a short-season team (and they should !)
    Last edited by JaxRed; 08-23-2008 at 03:31 PM.

BTW, I have a medium self-interest in seeing Reds stay in Sarasota for another 2 years, and a MAJOR, MAJOR self-interest in seeing them replace Dodgers in Jacksonville.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    It's out of the realm for them to pick up a full season A team (High or Low) because there are only enough for each club to have one of each. And each MLB team is required to have one of each. But as KC61 said, they could add a short-season team (and they should !)

I think so too. We're starting to get a plethora of young talent and, presumably a short season A team would be one more place for players to advance above rookie league and face better competition.

Which are the short season A leagues? New York Penn? Appalachian?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Email I got today with a little insight on the situation.

I met Walt Jocketty and Bill Bavasi today....We are opening up a series in Knoxville and they are here on the way back to Cincy from Chattanooga.

They both seem like pretty nice guys, Jocketty understands that they have a lot of work to do this offseason.

They were in Chatt. talking to ownership about renewing the Player Developement Contract which as of right now does not look like it will happen. My guess is the Looks become a Dodger affiliate and the Reds move to Carolina....Just a hunch.

Very interesting.... (of course, I'd kill to know your source Donkey). And the Carolina team now would be the Marlins. I can see where it would be beneficial for both the Marlins and the Jacksonville franchise to hook up.

For Jax - we now have a "real home team" from Florida ....and for the Marlins, a AA franchise 3 hours drive from your minor league base of operations.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Very interesting.... (of course, I'd kill to know your source Donkey). And the Carolina team now would be the Marlins. I can see where it would be beneficial for both the Marlins and the Jacksonville franchise to hook up.

For Jax - we now have a "real home team" from Florida ....and for the Marlins, a AA franchise 3 hours drive from your minor league base of operations.
    Source is an announcer for the Lookouts. He is usually spot on with the info he gives me but did say that this was not really any inside info and just his best guess as of right now.

It does make sense though.....

and Carolina has cool logo too.....

Turn Off Ads?