Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds Affiliation Status

Re: Reds Affiliation Status

Wow! So much info. I can't see the Reds putting any more affiliation west of Billings. I would expect any moves to be east of the Mississippi. Sarasota has treated the Reds like an un-wanted, red-headed step-child, so leaving there lock, stock and barrel, is moot,---- including GCL Reds. Let Sarasota woo the Bosox, I'll take Ft. Myers. It's a much more happening place!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well, unless the Reds sell the Sarasota franchise to Bosox or Astros, they can't be forced into Cal League. (if teams can't come to agreement MLB assigns them). Worse case scenario (if Reds don't want Cal League) is stuck with Sarasota franchise for 2 years).

The interesting thing about that is we know the Reds like the synergy of having the baseball operations, GCL, and High A franchise all in one place. But that ends on Fall of 09.

So they might retain the affiliation for 2 years, spend 1 year in Sarasota and then 2010 somewhere else. Sarasota has bad stadium and worst attendence in league. All the places with good attendance are in the big cities. (Ft Myers, Tampa, Clearwater, Daytona). And in the Southern League, Jacksonville leads in attendance.

In 2010, 2 big Florida cities would be without teams but have stadiums. Orlando (Disney World) and St Petersburg.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Chattanooga Times-Free Press article in Sundays edition about extension

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2008/...ion-or-extinc/
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The start of the "Affiliation Shuffle" is less than a month away. The fate of the Reds AA and High A affiliations is in doubt. Here's the current status:

The best site to track this is http://www.ballparkdigest.com/affiliates_2008.html along with Baseball America.

There is NO scenario that would have Lexington be a Reds affiliate.
    Yeah, and the Legends just announced a 4yr. extension with the Rastros. With Dayton as a no-brainer as far as the Reds full-sason A team, I don't even see a way the Reds put a team in the Carolina League where they're come to Lexington a couple of times a season, leaving my little pipedream thoroughly dashed.

OK, I'm over it.

So what franchises are available?

AA
    Arkansas (currently Angels)
    Carolina (Marlins)
    Connecticut (Giants)
    Huntsville (Brewers)
    Jacksonville (Dodgers)
    San Antonio (Padres)
    Trenton (Yankees)
    West Tenn (Mariners)

High A
    Ft Myers (Twins) (only club in FSL not owned by MLB team)
    High Desert (Mariners)
    Inland Empire (Dodgers)
    Lake Elsinore (Padres)
    Lancaster (Red Sox)
    Lynchburg (Pirates)
    Salem (Astros) owned by Red Sox
    San Jose (Giants)
    Visalia (DBacks)
    Winston-Salem (White Sox)

These are only ones with affilations ending in 2008. The Astros could be players in the Sarasota deal also. Let's assume Bosox kick them out of Salem. They'd need a High A franchise and they could take over Sarasota and move it to Kissimee (where they do Spring Training). They could also join GCL in Kissimee and give Greenville to Reds.

That would solve the upcoming problem with both the GCL and Az Rookie League both having an odd number of teams.

The other thing that might happen is Reds extend in Sarasota 2 years just to let things shake out.
    Lynchburg-to-Lexington! Keep hope alive!

I'm hoping the Reds' AA team stays in the Southern League. I'm in Huntsville and only get up to Cincy once a season. I'm fortunate to get to watch their minor league team here for a few homestands. I'd like them to stay in Chatt because of their history, but if they got to move, let's keep it close, please.

I spend the majority of my ST visit in Ft. Myers when the Reds are there,(Bosox, Twins) and a free place to stay, close enough to Sarasota, so anything that could happen to see the Reds base there would be heavenly for me. I'd make it down there to see Minor League teams during their seasons, in lieu of going to the desert for future ST. Can't afford that trip....................

Any chance that Dayton eventually becomes something higher than Single-A?

Very, Very slim.... You have to fit the region you want to join. With the exception of AAA, Dayton doesn't really fit in any other league's geographical region.

Ya can't teach speed... Triples's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    A number of teams have a short season A ball affiliate. The Reds don't.
    What do you call Billings?
    Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal. ~George Will

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    What do you call Billings?
    Rookie league.

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    Rookie league.
    HaHa! Correct sir! Let me take this time to say, I wish I could afford to catch some of the Mustangs games. A lot of the future has come through there the last few years. (Looks like there might be some more playing there this year as well).

Very, Very slim.... You have to fit the region you want to join. With the exception of AAA, Dayton doesn't really fit in any other league's geographical region.
    The only other possibility, would be the Eastern League (AA). I see that as a real stretch though, as Akron is way West of the rest of that league. I've always been told that to see a teams future, look at their AA team. "If a player is good enough to be successful at AA, he's got the ability to make the Bigs". It's all a matter of what he's got in his head after that. It would be really cool to have AA guys playing 50 miles away. I'd be there for sure. Dream on I guess.....

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    The only other possibility, would be the Eastern League (AA). I see that as a real stretch though, as Akron is way West of the rest of that league. .....

Yep, and that's why Dayton doesn't fit in Eastern League.... I think the people in Dayton are extremely lucky in that they get a quick look at Red's new players.

I see the AA guys, and I won't get to see them for 2-3 years after they've been drafted. Dayton usually sees them after 1 year.

More info Arkansas (AA) extended. Everyone expects Yankees to extend with Trenton. This article http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/au...e-in-southern/

expects Dodgers to go to San Antonio, "Seattle, San Diego and Cincinnati could wind up scrambling for Carolina and West Tenn with the odd man out landing in Huntsville."

Turn Off Ads?