Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cordero getting a bad rap?

Cordero getting a bad rap?

Can't say I've been a big supporter of him, but I was just looking at the NL saves leaders, Cordero is tied for 9th, but is only 3 within 4th. Only 4 saves seperate the 4th and 11th leaders in saves in the NL.

He has 6 blown saves, which seems like a lot, but I started comparing him to the closers up there near him, and noticed he's not too far off:

Saves leaders
    8) Brandon Lyon, 5 BS
    7) Trevor Hoffman, 3 BS (but 1-6 record? Go figure)
    6) Kerry Wood, 5 BS
    5) Billy Wagner, 7 BS
    4) Kevin Gregg, 7 BS
    3) Brad Lidge, PERFECT 31/31
    2) Jose Valverde, 6 BS
    1) Brian Wilson, 3 BS

Besides Lidge, Wilson, and Hoffman (maybe?) - I don't think Cordero is any worse overall than any other closer in the NL. Maybe he's overpaid, so he gets more heat, but his performance isn't bad compared to other closers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cordero getting a bad rap?

I really believe he would be better if he had more oppurtunities. He's a successful pither, otherwise he wouldn't scontinue to pitch year after year. He'll be ok, he just needs a successful team to close for.
    "Six outs to a full inning. In a major league game, you're going to play 8˝ or 9 innings. That is never going to change. The money changes. People change. But the game itself is never going to change. … The people who designed this thing are brilliant."-Jamie Moyer

Well if your watching the Rockies game today,with Weathers tanking,people will appreciate Coco's work even more.

Cordero Today?

I have been out of the loop this weekend. Why Didnt Cordero pitch the 9th inning today?

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: Cordero Today?

They just said on the news that Cordero had to leave the team for personal reasons. I hope everything is all right.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

He's paid like the best Closer in MLB. He ain't close to that. Yes, he made the bullpen better, but he has increased my use of Tums. And to think Nathan was supposedly dangled as available last winter.............

how could such an inept pathetic squad thinks that a closer is their biggest need, how about a center fielder a catcher a manager and dont forget keep Todd Coffey and Majewski around, it makes one wish for Ted Weiand and Brad Pennington

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Fay's blog said Cordero left the team to be with his wife who is having a baby this week. Congrats to him and his wife and I'm glad it wasn't anything serious that caused him to leave the team!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I agree.. thought watching david weathers warm up last night before the 9th caused me to just about have an ICA and need a balloon stent put in..

Turn Off Ads?