Turn Off Ads?

Thread: New outfield target for the offseason

New outfield target for the offseason

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/0...s-could-b.html

Looks like the Marlins are looking to sell some of their arbitration eligible players in order to cut costs. If that is truly the case, and I were Walt, I would be ALL over acquiring Josh Willingham.

A Left Fielder with a Career OBP of .361, who has 25 homer power and 100 RBI potential. Picking him up in a trade would go a long way towards replacing Dunn's offense. It wouldn't be an absolute replacement, but he would certainly help out a lot.

AND if they are looking to REALLY cut costs, I would go after Uggla too and worry about where to play him later. It would take a pretty massive package to pick them up but they would immediately improve the offense.

Uggla seems like the kind of player who could play 3rd if we moved Eddie E in a deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New outfield target for the offseason

Hmmmm.

Willingham will be 30 in February. He has only played 72 games this year and hit 8 HR's. Although last year he hit 21 HR's and the year before 26. He does has a career OBP of .362.

Uggla will be 29 in March. Pretty good power/slugging numbers and a decent OBP. His average is only around .260 though. Is he a pricier EE?

Olsen has had the off the field troubles in the past. Good solid numbers for a 3rd or 4th starter. Not sure I'd trade the farm for him though.
    Last edited by ChatterRed; 08-22-2008 at 09:17 AM.

I was a Dan Uggla fan until his all-star performance this year. I know it's just one game and everyone has them, but that was just horrible.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Next Year

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    I was a Dan Uggla fan until his all-star performance this year. I know it's just one game and everyone has them, but that was just horrible.
    Don't hold that against him too much. He's average otherwise.

Nick Markakis is going to arbitration next year for the O's. If they're looking to cut payroll, he'd be an awesome pickup for the Reds. I doubt the O's would want to trade him though.

Jason Ellison is now available....again.

"Texas Rangers
    Purchased the contract of OF Nelson Cruz from Triple-A Oklahoma. Designated OF Jason Ellison for assignment."

See, if they'd just trade us Hanley Ramirez they could afford all these guys!

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

What's Buck Coats up to these days?

No. Willingham is old, and just a marginal defensive player.

29 going on 30 are when players are in the middle of their prime. When he hits 33-34 he will be "old" and the skills will start to diminish. He also is an above marginal defensive player as he only has 10 errors in 349 games with a .983 Fielding%. For comparison Dunn has a .969 career Fielding%.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    SO you must think Volquez is awful too.

Turn Off Ads?