Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Fay:SEPTEMBER CALL-UPS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

John Fay:SEPTEMBER CALL-UPS

SEPTEMBER CALL-UPS: With Triple-A Louisville in the playoffs, any September call-ups off the Bats' roster will be delayed until the playoff run is over.

"It's a good delay," Baker said. "It's a good delay for them. And we've got guys here trying to have good years and make a run."

All players on the 40-man roster are eligible to be on the active roster after Sept. 1.

Homer Bailey, Danny Herrera, Paul Janish, Daryl Thompson and Todd Coffey are candidates for return trips to the majors. Danny Richar and Wilkin Castillo, obtained in the Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn trades, may get calls as well.

The Reds could add players to the 40-man. Matt Maloney, Drew Stubbs, Josh Roenicke and Chris Valaika could be considered.

WHAT ABOUT PETTYJOHN? Baker isn't overlooking Adam Pettyjohn.

The 31-year-old left-hander is 14-5 with a 4.66 ERA for Louisville.

"You like to call up guys who have good years," Baker said. "He's a crafty lefty. He won (16) last year and 14 this year. I don't buy when they say a guy doesn't have enough fastball or this and that."

Baker points to John Burkett, whom he managed in San Francisco. Burkett went on to pitch 15 years in the big leagues and win 166 games. "He was called up by default," Baker said.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...808240440/1071

Re: John Fay:SEPTEMBER CALL-UPS

I'd DFA Patterson, Fogg, Bako & Majewski and cut Coffey from the forty-man and add Stubbs, Valika, Dorn, Roenicke and Fisher. I'd also call-up Castillo, Herrera and at least one from among Maloney,Thompson, Livingston & Ramierez (I've seen enough of Homer this year) and give them a couple of starts. I'd rest Volquez (or Harang if needed) after the AAA playoffs - maybe go to a modified 6-man rotation.

September would be "Kiddie Kamp".

Senor Votto

I'd like to see Patterson, Fogg, Bako, and Majewski off the team. And I'd like to see Roenicke, Stubbs, Valika brought up at least. Go young.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Currently the 40 man roster sits at 39 players. You could open another slot with placing Matt Belisle on the 60 day DL. So that gives you 2 slots to add someone with out risk of losing someone. I'd add Roenicke and Maloney.

Patterson isn't going anywhere in my opinion because you just don't have someone to fill the OF void, plus he is aparently tight with Dusty. I think we could see DFA's from this list: Andy Phillips, Javy Valentin, and Josh Fogg. Perhaps they work out a deal with Hairston and sign him to a deal for next year and then let him rest the remainder of the year by placing him on the 60 day DL.

I'd also like to see Carlos Fisher (4-0 1.23 in AAA), Danny Dorn (.286 20HR .932OPS in AA), and Chris Valaika (.316 17HR .839OPS A and AA).

Nobody will get released this close to the end of the season IMO. The Reds may be able to deal a guy like Weathers or Affeldt to open spce, but no one gets relased to open 40 man spots in late August. It would kill the team's reputation with players IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Nobody will get released this close to the end of the season IMO. The Reds may be able to deal a guy like Weathers or Affeldt to open spce, but no one gets relased to open 40 man spots in late August. It would kill the team's reputation with players IMO.
    How's that any worse than DFA'ing Ross a couple of weeks ago. They'd still get paid and maybe get a chance to hook up with someone for next year. Bring on the youth, dump the dreck.

I do realize though that it would probably use up an option so I wouldn't call up Dorn or Fisher, but I'd risk it with Roenicke, Valika and Stubbs. I'd also callup Herrera and at least one of the starters who are already on the 40-man.

* I think the 40th spot is being held open for Owings from the Dunn deal and I believe that the roster on MLB.com shows Belisle already off th 40-man (but not on the 60-day,strange).
    Last edited by corkedbat; 08-24-2008 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    How's that any worse than DFA'ing Ross a couple of weeks ago. They'd still get paid and maybe get a chance to hook up with someone for next year. Bring on the youth, dump the dreck.

I do realize though that it would probably use up an option so I wouldn't call up Dorn or Fisher, but I'd risk it with Roenicke, Valika and Stubbs. I'd also callup Herrera and at least one of the starters who are already on the 40-man.

* I think the 40th spot is being held open for Owings from the Dunn deal and I believe that the roster on MLB.com shows Belisle already off th 40-man (but not on the 60-day,strange).
    Adding players that will not be eligible for the Rule V draft to the 40 man in the offseason is a very bad idea. Stubbs and Roenicke do not need to be protected from the Rule V draft. Keep them off and protect those who need protecting.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 08-24-2008 at 01:02 PM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Adding players that will not be eligible for the Rule V draft to the 40 man in the offseason is a very bad idea. Stubbs and Roenicke do not need to be protected from the Rule V draft. Keep them off and protect those who need protecting.
    I thought both had to be protected, but if that's so, I agree.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 08-24-2008 at 01:51 PM.

Reds' callups could be delayed
    Minor Leaguers may have to wait with Louisville in playoffs
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

DENVER -- In just over a week, on Sept. 1, Major League rosters are allowed to expand for callups.

Because Triple-A Louisville is playoff-bound, the Reds will likely have to hold up promotions for a few extra days until the Bats' season is completed.

"It's a good delay," Reds manager Dusty Baker said on Saturday. "It's a good delay for them. Some of the guys here are still trying to have real good years and make a move."

While it seems as if the Reds have already promoted most of their top prospects this season, the extra roster space creates a chance to take a look at others.

The organization isn't saying who it's considering yet, but players already on the 40-man roster are the best bets. That should certainly include lefty reliever Danny Herrera, who has a 1.93 ERA in 44 games, and already had two brief big league stints.

Pitchers Homer Bailey, Todd Coffey and Bobby Livingston and shortstop Paul Janish are also on the 40-man. So is catcher Wilkin Castillo, who was acquired in the Adam Dunn trade with Arizona, and infielder Danny Richar, who came to the organization in the Ken Griffey Jr. deal with the White Sox.

It's much harder for players not on the 40-man roster to get promoted, because it would require an additional move to jettison someone else to create room. But there are players outside of the roster worthy of consideration.

Lefty starter Matt Maloney, 24, is 10-4 with a 4.23 ERA. Although 31 years old, right-hander Justin Lehr is 6-2 with a 2.07 ERA.

"You'd like to call up guys that are deserving and have had good years," Baker said.

Baker put in a plug for another 31-year-old, left-handed starter Adam Pettyjohn, who's gone 14-5 with a 4.55 ERA.

"Pettyjohn won [16] last year and 14 this year," Baker said. "I don't buy sometimes when guys say he doesn't have enough fastball, or enough this or that. Somehow, these guys win. They said [former Giants pitcher] John Burkett couldn't throw hard. He ended up being one of the last guys called up by default, because everybody was hurt. He won 15 games in Triple-A and came to the big leagues and stayed 15 years."

Outfielder Drew Stubbs, who began the season in Class A and was the Reds' first-round Draft pick in 2006, is a very outside shot. Stubbs is batting a combined .277 with seven homers, 54 RBIs and 32 steals over three levels this season. The 23-year-old batted .316 through his first nine games with Louisville.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post

Good point about Ross, but letting one guy go is different than a wholesale purge which is what is being suggested. I think if the Reds let multiple guys like that go this close to the end of the year, there would be consequences.

For next year, I hope that Maj, Coffey, Belisle, Patterson, Fogg, Weathers, Affeldt, A. Phillips, Cabrera, Bako, Javy and Hairston are all cut loose. I wouldn't re-sign any of them at this point given the alternatives, the probable prices and the team's seeming direction. I just don't see the players sitting still if 4 or 5 guys are cut loose this close to the end of the year. I don't really like most of those guys as players, but the guys left behind would probably revolt if their buddies were all dumped so unceremoniously en masse like that. Add that a team probably in need of a couple stopgap vets won't have much luck attracting them after a maneuver like that. It's not worth it IMO. Put those guys at the end of the bench while Rosales, Janish, Richar, Castillo, Herrera, Roenicke, Thompson and Maloney assume their roles and I'd have no problem with it, but cutting them this close to rosters expanding seems bush league to me.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think Janish's absence on the MLB roster is telling. I think it signals that he's not being considered as a possible option for SS next year.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think Janish's absence on the MLB roster is telling. I think it signals that he's not being considered as a possible option for SS next year.
    I agree and really hope he's only a fall back option anyhow. Right now, I'd play him every day to help the pitchers out, but I'd look elsewhere for 2009.

Janish is the second coming of Gary Green IMO. Highly touted glove who just couldn't stick in the majors because of offensive issues. I predict a similar career for Janish. I suppose if Janish reaches his ultimate upside he could be John McDonald, but he has a long way to go IMO. Lets hope Cozart's recently added POP is for real and he works out a little better.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Word has it, though, that he's on the inside track to receive the William Bergolla Award, given to the one player in the organization who best exemplifies the "Yeah, but if he could only get his bat going..." caveat.

No word on who the Stephen Smitherman award is going to this season.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Agreed, and it's a decision I agree with. You have to be able to at least hit a little bit to be a MLB starter.

Looks like he's pigeon-holed in the role of emergency infield help at AAA for as long as the Reds are able to hold him there.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?