Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sunday August 24th minor league updates

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Sunday August 24th minor league updates

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    I'll throw it out there, but w/ Dorn, Stubbs, Dickerson, Bruce...could 3 of those be our starting OF next season in Cincy?
    I would say there is less than a 5% chance of this happening. With all the money the Reds have freed up for 2009 (about $20 million, by my count), you have to figure some of that will go to an impact outfielder who can play every day. Danny Dorn hasn't seen AAA pitching yet, Stubbs has barely seen AAA pitching, and the Reds might have very little faith in Dickerson and could be waiting to use him in a trade or acquire someone to push him to the bench.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I would say there is less than a 5% chance of this happening. With all the money the Reds have freed up for 2009 (about $20 million, by my count), you have to figure some of that will go to an impact outfielder who can play every day. Danny Dorn hasn't seen AAA pitching yet, Stubbs has barely seen AAA pitching, and the Reds might have very little faith in Dickerson and could be waiting to use him in a trade or acquire someone to push him to the bench.
    agreed I whole-heartedly expect WJ to sign an impact bat this offseason for the OF. and the only two "logical" choices there are Pat Burrell and Milton Bradley. 2009 OF of Bradley or Burrell, Stubbs/Dickerson, Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    agreed I whole-heartedly expect WJ to sign an impact bat this offseason for the OF. and the only two "logical" choices there are Pat Burrell and Milton Bradley. 2009 OF of Bradley or Burrell, Stubbs/Dickerson, Bruce
    Hopefully, it will not be Bradley. He has spent as much time on the DL as on the active list. In only one year has he attained over 400 AB's. Moreover, he is currently on his sixth ML team at age 30. Clubs keep paying up for potential. He represents precisely the type of FA signing that has been problematic in the past.

Burrell is a solid player, but, at age 31, I would not want to pay for more than two years. Otherwise, I would stand pat and wait for Stubbs, Dorn, Cumberland, Henry, Heisey, and Reed.

I think Dorn presents an interesting issue for thinking about the free agent market. The kid absolutely kills right-handed pitching, so much so that it seems he's got to figure into the left-field picture for the future. So that means maybe you just need a right-handed platoon partner for left-field and you can spend your free-agent dollars elsewhere. Signing a Burrell, for instance, would likely mean Dorn never gets a chance. Will be interesting to see how/if Dorn figures in WJ's thinking about how the team will be configured.

Dorn reminds me a bit of Brad Hawpe of the Rockies. Similar in size, both are lefties, and both have very good power and a good eye at the plate and both mash right handers and struggle against lefties, though Hawpe is finally starting to hit lefties this year with an OPS over .800 against LHP. Right now Dorn is looking like a platoon guy vs RHP but the Reds are probably holding out hope that Dorn figures out lefties down the road. It takes some guys longer to figure out lefties...look at Votto, he struggles against lefties in the minors and is now hitting solidly against them in the majors. Same with Hawpe. Hopefully Dorn follows in their footsteps.

Turn Off Ads?