Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIRECTV to discontinue the Big Ten network?

Re: DIRECTV to discontinue the Big Ten network?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if it did. The BTN, I'm sure, charges AT LEAST $1 per subscriber, per month. If DirecTV raised their rates $1 when they picked up the BTN, they very well might reduce them by a buck if the BTN went away.
    I wouldn't hold my breathe on that one.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breathe on that one.
    No kidding. I don't remember any rate increases on my DTV bill in the last year. I guess I'll have to dig up some old ones and check. Did my bill when they added the 15th different shopping channel? Or Oxygen?

NM
    Last edited by SeeinRed; 08-26-2008 at 09:43 AM. Reason: See the other thread now

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    You have to look at it from the BTN's perspective. They can't grow to what they aspire to be on a sports tier. They may not even be able to survive.

The BTN realizes they are a sports tier network in most of the country. The problem is that Time Warner and the others want them on a tier in Big Ten country. Most of their audience comes from there, and that's their only chance to get big ad dollars. They have to be on extended basic in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Wisconsin...
    If you look at it from one side, you always have to look at it from the other. You are absolutely right.

I tend to look at it like this. BTN is a specialty network dealing only in college sports. When you have a specialty network, that is wanting big money you have to weigh wether it is worth raising your prices for a network with limited appeal. TWC had decided it wasn't worth it for the price the BTN was asking. Obviously something changed that caused the BTN and TWC to come to an agreement. I'd be curious to hear the final terms, but I'm guessing the BTN had to come down in price to be included in the extended basic tier. They were wanting something like 1.37 per TWC subscriber. Thats some big time money.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Those of us who lived out-of-market would wholly disagree with that...
    I do think it's a bit ridiculous that a lot of people in Columbus/Dayton cannot watch OSU football games since Time Warner can't come to an agreement and that is my perspective on this. My parents cannot afford to buy tickets and drive up to Columbus every weekend so there are 3-4 games a year now that they have to call me to find out what happened.

I really don't know how the games are telecast out of market (maybe you could shed some light) but before the BTN did out of market people just not get to see the smaller games that were on ESPN+ or whatever other channels? If so I can understand where you're coming from and how the BTN can be a blessing for you (and other out of marketers). But most local people just think of the BTN as the bad guy not letting them see OSU football games.

And for the record, I fully blame the BTN for this mess...not Time Warner. I also think it's beyond ridiclous that Ohio State sends out an email to people on their email list detailing how Time Warner is the one screwing people over.
    Last edited by Caseyfan21; 08-26-2008 at 10:28 AM.

Yes, but as has been repeated several times Big Ten Network has cost much less than GamePlan and oh, by the way, it carries more than just football games...
    Thanks, question from previous post answered.

And now I just realized an agreement was reached between BTN and Time Warner...oh well. I live outside the area for the summer so I did not realize this until I just looked at the Dayton Daily News website. I was hoping TWC would hold out and not give in.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    All the better for what? Your bill is going to rise, with or without the BTN. If you have it and it goes away, your bill will not go down.
    I'd rather watch a test-pattern on an empty channel than a Big Ten football game.

Unfortunately, I can't call my cable or satellite provider to request one.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Stat geek...and proud

I sure will enjoy it come hoops season.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'd rather watch a test-pattern on an empty channel than a Big Ten football game.

Unfortunately, I can't call my cable or satellite provider to request one.
    First of all, I seriously doubt that. Second, the BTN carries more than just football games. Last year I watched quite a few basketball games and the recruiting coverage. Lastly, the Big Ten bashing is getting to be a nuisance. What did your last post add to the discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    I really don't know how the games are telecast out of market (maybe you could shed some light) but before the BTN did out of market people just not get to see the smaller games that were on ESPN+ or whatever other channels? If so I can understand where you're coming from and how the BTN can be a blessing for you (and other out of marketers). But most local people just think of the BTN as the bad guy not letting them see OSU football games.
    When I was in Michigan I would miss about 2 or 3 games a year. Usually the low-profile OOC games and a game against Northwestern or Indiana. Then with the BTN, I got every single game for no extra charge from Directv....

When I was in Michigan I would miss about 2 or 3 games a year. Usually the low-profile OOC games and a game against Northwestern or Indiana. Then with the BTN, I got every single game for no extra charge from Directv....
    No extra charge?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    No extra charge?
    It was a part of the Plus package as I remember...

It was a part of the Plus package as I remember...
    I don't remember any price hike last year when the BTN was first added but lots of folks keep claiming they are paying for it when they don't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I don't remember any price hike last year when the BTN was first added but lots of folks keep claiming they are paying for it when they don't want it.
    I agree. I think you should go back and reread my original statement. There were no extra charges for the BTN...

Turn Off Ads?