Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce and plate discipline

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Bruce and plate discipline

Okay, so I'm not sure at what point The Boss's MLB experience constitutes an adequate sample size, but right now the guy is at .255/.301/.430 in just over 320 plate appearances. His power is actually right about where I expected it to be at this stage, but I'm a bit taken aback by his just-nigh-of-Corey-Patterson level OBP.

I do remember a lot of debates back and forth in the minor league forum about Bruce's plate discipline, how it might improve, how it might not, and how it didn't really need to because of his high amount of contact.

Well, after about two months with the big club, what can we say we know now? Is he right on track? Off track? Showing signs of improvement? Showing signs of regression? Is it just still too early to tell?

Thanks for your input.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Bruce and plate discipline

Jay Bruce was destroying the baseball in the minor leagues (AAA in particular) for a long time before being called up, and everyone was wondering what was keeping him down there. I have to think that plate discipline was the biggest thing he needed to work on. He has always been someone who doesn't walk much, and he's going to a few seasons before that changes. When he starts hitting 30+ homeruns per year, pitchers will be giving him more and more respect, which will result in him getting less hittable pitches. That's when his walk totals should creep up, but until then, he will continue to walk at very-low-but-not-quite-anemic rate.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Unless Bruce cuts down his Ks (not that I'm concerned with them), he'll be the next monster run out of town.

This city still has the torches and pitchforks out. Watch out, Mr. Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Jay Bruce was destroying the baseball in the minor leagues (AAA in particular) for a long time before being called up, and everyone was wondering what was keeping him down there. I have to think that plate discipline was the biggest thing he needed to work on. He has always been someone who doesn't walk much, and he's going to a few seasons before that changes. When he starts hitting 30+ homeruns per year, pitchers will be giving him more and more respect, which will result in him getting less hittable pitches. That's when his walk totals should creep up, but until then, he will continue to walk at very-low-but-not-quite-anemic rate.
    I agree, but I think he is already getting many less hittable pitches than he was right after his callup. It is starting to appear that he is becoming a REAL RED and it is not neccessary to throw strikes to get him out.
    Let's play two!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley68 View Post
    I agree, but I think he is already getting many less hittable pitches than he was right after his callup. It is starting to appear that he is becoming a REAL RED and it is not neccessary to throw strikes to get him out.
    I agree...

With this God awful lineup, why on Earth, would teams give him anything to hit?
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

He's young and he'll need to make adjustments at the plate on an ongoing basis. With experience, he should begin to make the pitchers work a little more.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Unless Bruce cuts down his Ks (not that I'm concerned with them), he'll be the next monster run out of town.
    and the errors ... he has been a bit of a butcher in the OF.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

The one thing that wouldn't have really helped is more time in the minors. When a hitter is tearing up every level with one plate approach, it's difficult to effect a behavior change to a different approach. Now he's in the show and struggling, and since swinging the bat has been his meal ticket, his natural instinct is to swing the bat *more*. In fact, he needs to do the opposite. Whether there's anyone in the Reds' dugout telling him this, I have no idea.
    Not all who wander are lost

He is under pressure to try and carry the team right now. Hopefully, Eric the Red will be a huge influence and a veteran right hand hitter addition next year will help with the plate patience.
    Hope Springs Eternal

Jay Bruce is just an example for how tough the transition is for most players(even #1 prospects) from the minors to the majors. Sorry to say there has only been one Albert Pujols in the history of MLB.

Jay had a hot start but now pitchers have figured out how to pitch to him and take advantage of his aggressiveness. Ball is now in his court to make some adjustments.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

It's really the first time he's struggled as a professional. You can see on his face and in his body language it's beating him up some. Clearly, he hasn't made the necessary adjustments yet, and that may take a while, given that this is a first for Bruce. The more open to learning he is, the better. If he maintains the "I just need to stay with my approach" mindset, as he was saying shortly after being promoted, his numbers are going to stay with their approach too, "Dive! Dive! Dive!"

It's a good reminder that even the best prospects often have some learning left to do at the major league level. Rarely does a team promote a truly finished product.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

What I worry about, is who in the heck in the Reds major league organization is going to teach him plate discipline?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    and the errors ... he has been a bit of a butcher in the OF.
    Seems to me like he's trying to do too much out in the field. He has a strong arm, and he reads the ball off the bat well, and his instincts/reaction/foot speed seem definitely above average, so I think he just needs to reel himself in and play within himself.

Conversely, I also think he's pressing at the plate, again trying to do too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Seems to me like he's trying to do too much out in the field. He has a strong arm, and he reads the ball off the bat well, and his instincts/reaction/foot speed seem definitely above average, so I think he just needs to reel himself in and play within himself.

Conversely, I also think he's pressing at the plate, again trying to do too much.
    Agreed. I think the more experience he gets in right field the better he'll get. The Reds have been bouncing him between center and right field most of the year so he hasn't been able to get comfortable in one position. With Griffey gone Bruce should have the right field spot locked up for good now. As for his offense, I agree that he seems to be pressing. He's getting way to anxious and swinging at the first pitch nearly every atbat. When you're constantly behind in the count then you're most likely going to struggle like Jay has lately. When Bruce is hitting well he's usually taking pitches and working the count deep like he did when he was first called up. Hopefully the coaching staff can work with him and correct this.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Agreed. I think the more experience he gets in right field the better he'll get. The Reds have been bouncing him between center and right field most of the year so he hasn't been able to get comfortable in one position. With Griffey gone Bruce should have the right field spot locked up for good now. As for his offense, I agree that he seems to be pressing. He's getting way to anxious and swinging at the first pitch nearly every atbat. When you're constantly behind in the count then you're most likely going to struggle like Jay has lately. When Bruce is hitting well he's usually taking pitches and working the count deep like he did when he was first called up. Hopefully the coaching staff can work with him and correct this.
    I'm very interested in what sort of messages he's getting from the Reds coaching staff. His approach, particularly against lefties, seems to have regressed. He seems to do pretty well judging pitches out and in, but he's chasing high and low. Given Dusty's "more aggressive" directive earlier in the year, I have to wonder if that's not been part of it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?