Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Fraizer FSL Hitter of the Week.

Fraizer FSL Hitter of the Week.

Florida State League
    Todd Frazier, Sarasota
    .421 (8-19), 6 R, 3 2B, 0 3B, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 SB, .737 SLG
    Frazier's season began in the Midwest League, but it wasn't long before the Cincinnati Reds decided they had failed to challenge him. Frazier hit .321 with a .598 slugging percentage in 30 games with Dayton, while juggling four positions. As expected, the move up to the Florida State League has been more trying on Frazier, who has seen struggles at the plate in terms of strikeout propensity, if only that. However, with his recent performance shaping up to be like his early-season success, Frazier has his average up to .285. The infielder is hitting .372 against southpaws with Sarasota, after hitting .414 against the lefties in the Midwest League.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fraizer FSL Hitter of the Week.

This has been a very impressive season by Frazier. Overall he has hit .294/.370/.498 - .868 OPS with 30 doubles and 19 homeruns in 456 atbats between two pitcher friendly leagues. I like this kid a lot; he's got a chance to a very solid major leaguer IMO. I see him as a .375 OBP and 25 homer/35 double type of player...somewhere along the lines of a Kevin Youkilis type of player.

So Danny Dorn won the SL hitter of the week and Todd Frazier won the FSL hitter of the week, and Neftali Soto and Drew Stubbs made strong cases to win the same award in their leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    The infielder is hitting .372 against southpaws with Sarasota, after hitting .414 against the lefties in the Midwest League.
    Could we be seeing a Frazier/Dorn platoon as the LF of the future? I still say trade Votto and change for Holliday. Worst case scenario, you can't re-sign Holliday and we go into 2010 with a Frazier/Dorn platoon in LF. I would think that Frazier would be better defensively in LF than Votto, but who knows? Life could certainly be worse
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Could we be seeing a Frazier/Dorn platoon as the LF of the future? I still say trade Votto and change for Holliday. Worst case scenario, you can't re-sign Holliday and we go into 2010 with a Frazier/Dorn platoon in LF. I would think that Frazier would be better defensively in LF than Votto, but who knows? Life could certainly be worse
    And no Votto, when we aren't going to compete next year... Holliday signing would be a waste of a trade unless we sign him long term. Votto is the best hitter on the Reds team, why trade him for a guy, who yes is very very productive...but A LOT more expensive then Votto, where that money can go to other things like pitching etc.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'm not a big fan of platooning a young player, because it tends to become a self-fulfilling prophecy; take away the at-bats against the pitchers he struggles against, and he'll never learn to hit them. I wouldn't platoon either Dorn or Frazier unless I'd decided that's all they ever would be, platoon guys. At least in Todd's case, that's considerably less than we're hoping he'll be.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I'm not a big fan of platooning a young player, because it tends to become a self-fulfilling prophecy; take away the at-bats against the pitchers he struggles against, and he'll never learn to hit them. I wouldn't platoon either Dorn or Frazier unless I'd decided that's all they ever would be, platoon guys. At least in Todd's case, that's considerably less than we're hoping he'll be.
    It's a lot less than I expect from Dorn as well. He is at minimum a 3/4 prospect. Forget where he was drafted. He would have been a high-rounder if it hadn't been for a shoulder injury his last season in College.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post

It depends on the hitter.

Someone like Frazier should not be platooned because he projects as a top-tier all around hitter. Same thing for a guy like Votto, or a Jay Bruce. I agree that in these cases platooning can become a self-fulfilling prophecy, as you say.

But for a Chris Dickerson or a Danny Dorn, I favor a platoon. The meal ticket for these guys offensively is their ability to hit right handed pitching. Using them against lefty pitching is likely to hurt their confidence and their overall performance.

It is always possible, if say Dorn exceeds expectations, to introduce some at bats against lefties and see how he does.

For next year, I'd like to see Chris Dickerson play center for the Reds in a strict platoon. So that, if mid-game, a lefty reliever faces him in an important spot, the righty replacement would pinch hit.

If I were a manager, I would do a lot of platooning. You don't platoon a top hitter; and you don't usually platoon a defensive star. Most other players should platoon to give you the best match ups.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-26-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Congratulations Todd Frazier!

BTW, it is spelled Frazier.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    It depends on the hitter.

Someone like Frazier should not be platooned because he projects as a top-tier all around hitter. Same thing for a guy like Votto, or a Jay Bruce. I agree that in these cases platooning can become a self-fulfilling prophecy, as you say.

But for a Chris Dickerson or a Danny Dorn, I favor a platoon. The meal ticket for these guys offensively is their ability to hit right handed pitching. Using them against lefty pitching is likely to hurt their confidence and their overall performance.

It is always possible, if say Dorn exceeds expectations, to introduce some at bats against lefties and see how he does.

For next year, I'd like to see Chris Dickerson play center for the Reds in a strict platoon. So that, if mid-game, a lefty reliever faces him in an important spot, the righty replacement would pinch hit.

If I were a manager, I would do a lot of platooning. You don't platoon a top hitter; and you don't usually platoon a defensive star. Most other players should platoon to give you the best match ups.

I agree completely. Almost all hitters have some spread in their splits but the best hitters are still able to hit reasonably well facing righty or lefty. When the split becomes huge it's time to find a platoon partner. Dickerson's splits are huge. Of course, using that theorem, BP should be platooned, too. (I know you're going to say his defense but that is Chris's strength, too and at a defensive position).

I'm enough of a Phillips fan to balk at the idea of platooning him -- as much as I like platoons. But I would definitely move him in the batting order depending on the pitcher. Against a lefty, he's a solid 3-4 guy. Against a right-hander, he's a 6-7.

Turn Off Ads?