Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade target - Paul Kornerko

Cruisin' for trouble

Trade target - Paul Kornerko

Simply speculation on my part. But here's the deal. Kornerko will have two years remaining on a five year deal for ~12M/year. He's having a down year this year (buy low!), but over the last three years, his OPS has been 841, 932 and 929.

The tricky thing is to figure out if his slide this year is injury-related or if his skills are declining (he'll be 33 on opening day next year).

He provides the RH bat the Reds need without costing the Reds as much as a Holiday or Texiera would. His defense is probably not much worse than Votto's and it allows Votto to concentrate on becoming a league-average LF'er. His contract expires in two years, allowing time for Alonso or some other prospect to emerge. I don't know what the Sox may want in return, but I can't imagine it would break the Red's prospect bank.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade target - Paul Kornerko

I'd give them Richar and Masset back for him. Although, I wouldn't mind substituting Masset with Coffey.

If he were three years younger, I'd say go for it.

I just think 33 is too close to the decline years to risk prospects and cash.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    Simply speculation on my part. But here's the deal. Kornerko will have two years remaining on a five year deal for ~12M/year. He's having a down year this year (buy low!), but over the last three years, his OPS has been 841, 932 and 929.

The tricky thing is to figure out if his slide this year is injury-related or if his skills are declining (he'll be 33 on opening day next year).

He provides the RH bat the Reds need without costing the Reds as much as a Holiday or Texiera would. His defense is probably not much worse than Votto's and it allows Votto to concentrate on becoming a league-average LF'er. His contract expires in two years, allowing time for Alonso or some other prospect to emerge. I don't know what the Sox may want in return, but I can't imagine it would break the Red's prospect bank.

Thoughts?

Code:
    YEAR NAME         AGE PA   EqA  OBP  SLG  RAR   RAP   OPS+  RC/27
    2008 Paul Konerko 32  409 .258 .342 .378  11.4 -10.6  89     4.2
    2007 Paul Konerko 31  636 .276 .351 .490  30.6  -1.8  116    5.6

2008 Joey Votto    24 453 .277 .353 .460   22  -2.1   109    6.0
    $12,000,000 per year to get pretty comprable production as you are currently getting from the 8 years younger and league minimum Votto?

Pass.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Code:
    2008 Paul Konerko 32  409 .258 .342 .378  11.4 -10.6  89     4.2
    2007 Paul Konerko 31  636 .276 .351 .490  30.6  -1.8  116    5.6

2008 Joey Votto    24 453 .277 .353 .460   22  -2.1   109    6.0
    $12,000,000 per year to get pretty comprable production as you are currently getting from the 8 years younger and league minimum Votto?

Pass.
    Even though Konerko is proven and Votto isn't?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Cruisin' for trouble

I'm not advocating that the Reds get rid of Votto, just that they add Kornerko if they are inclined to move Votto to LF. It's going to be hard to find a productive LF'er in the offseason without breaking the bank. This deal wouldn't break the bank (just dent it a bit), is a short-term fix and *shouldn't* cost the Reds top-tier talent.

pass
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

No thanks. It's not worth the prospects or cash when we already have Votto and Yonder Alonso.

IMO, it depends a lot upon whether or not you want to make a run for the roses next year. Confident that you've enough pitching and defense? Then as the last piece of the puzzle maybe you do take a shot at Konerko (or some version there of) much like the addition of Greg Vaughn in '99. Can a proven vet rebound?

Moving Votto to left has been discussed so that's not a new idea. It's more about getting some big production from whoever you replace him with at first.

It's certainly a long shot to happen IMO but interesting thinking.

Rem

IMO - no.

What I want the Reds to do is build a team for 2010 and beyond.
    If we need a one year stopgap somewhere that is fine as long as we give up no real talent. An example would be trading an A ball 'prospect' for benjie Molina and taking on his salary. If we have to give up real talent I want youth back.

The 2009 Reds are not going to be playoff bound.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    IMO - no.

What I want the Reds to do is build a team for 2010 and beyond. ....

The 2009 Reds are not going to be playoff bound.
    But Bob wants to win now!

And, frankly, I'm getting a bit impatient myself.

Rem

Let's trade Jeff Shaw for him.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    But Bob wants to win now!

And, frankly, I'm getting a bit impatient myself.

Rem
    I know. But how realistic is it for the Reds to go from just awful to the playoffs in one year?

Braves. 1990-1991. Worst to first. Based on young pitching coming of age.

Do the Reds have a chance at that? I don't know but I like Harange, Cueto and Volquez.

I'm just saying that, if the other parts seem to be aligned, a veteran like Konerko might be the last piece to complete the puzzle.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Braves. 1990-1991. Worst to first. Based on young pitching coming of age.

Do the Reds have a chance at that? I don't know but I like Harange, Cueto and Volquez.

I'm just saying that, if the other parts seem to be aligned, a veteran like Konerko might be the last piece to complete the puzzle.

Rem
    OK. It can happen but is it realistic? No.

I am not saying don't try to improve the 2009 team. What I am saying is don't give up anything of value for a short term fix.

Turn Off Ads?