Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leauge Rules That 9 Year Old is Too Good

Worth The Wait

Leauge Rules That 9 Year Old is Too Good

Very interesting....I don't like to hear about his Mom throwing a hissy fit, but I think I err on the side of the player/team/coach here. If he's good, he's just good, and the rest of the league needs to deal with it. It's called life.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3553475

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Leauge Rules That 9 Year Old is Too Good

I just read that. Beyond ridiculous.

It seems to me like this is one of those cases where the kid might benefit from being bumped up a level to play kids more in line with his skill level. I don't think its fun for anyone when you have a kid who is so much better than everyone else at that level that there's no real competition. It seems like there could be a much better resolution for this kid and for the other kids in the league that would be fair and benefit everyone.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

What is it about Connecticut?

First they wanna shut down a wiffleball field, now they're telling a 9 year old he's too good.

I'm moving...

Should a 9 year old be pitching like that anyways?

bump him up a level, or ship him to the Dominican and put him in the Reds Academy

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Should a 9 year old be pitching like that anyways?
    pitching like what? Good?

He needs to be in a better league. I think there are legit points on both sides. A kid of the that talent will generally be allowed to play with the big boys, and that's where he should be, in a higher age group.

I can't imagine he'll improve much playing against such weak competition. Really sounds like more of a fun/introduction type of league.

When I was younger, I was offered to play select baseball. I had to turn it down, because I wouldn't have the time. Maybe this family is in the same situation.

40mph from a 9 year old is not uncommon, at least where we play. My son, who was 9 last season, threw the ball 45mph. Sounds to me like this kid is just in the wrong league.

I think Roy Oswalt is "too good" against the Reds. He shouldn't play.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

The Great One was too good to.

Wayne was a classic prodigy whose extraordinary skills made him the target of jealous parents.

Gretzky's first team, at age six, was a team of ten-year-olds, starting a pattern where Gretzky always played at a level far above his peers through his minor hockey years. His first coach, Dick Martin, remarked that he handled the puck better than the ten-year-olds. According to Martin, "Wayne was so good that you could have a boy of your own who was a tremendous hockey player, and he'd get overlooked because of what the Gretzky kid was doing." The sweaters for ten-year-olds were far too large for Gretzky, who coped by tucking the sweater into his pants on the right side. He continued doing this after making it to the NHL.

By the age of ten he had scored 378 goals and 120 assists in just 85 games with the Brantford Nadrofsky Steelers. His play now attracted media attention beyond his hometown of Brantford, including a profile by John Iaboni in the Toronto Telegram in October 1971. By age 13, he had scored over 1,000 goals. His play attracted considerable negative attention from other players' parents, including those of his teammates, and he was often booed. According to Walter, the "capper" was being booed on "Brantford Day" at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens in February 1975.

Connecticut is also the state that has the mercy rule in High School football. Ridiculous.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I'm not sure I understand what the big deal is with 40 mph. That is not that fast, even for 9-years old. I understand that 9 is the first year for "kid pitch", but seriously 40 mph is not bringing it that hard. Maybe it's a misprint and he's going 50-60. I pitched to my 7 and 8 year old's this past season nearly that hard. The kids liked it thrown harder. In fact, they said it was easier to hit than when our other coach lobbed them in there (in a big arc).

Pitch much slower than 30 mph and the ball might not make it to the catcher. 40 is not a big deal.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

This continued effort to baby kids bothers the hell out of me.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?