Turn Off Ads?

Thread: DDN article on Nick Masset

DDN article on Nick Masset

Masset fought through injuries to make it to bigs

By Matt O'Donnell

Staff Writer

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

CINCINNATI — Nick Masset entered a game early in his senior season in high school wondering if he would be a first-round draft pick. When he left the mound, he was unsure if he'd ever throw another pitch.

At the time, the Reds relief pitcher was the nation's No. 11-ranked high school player by Baseball America. About 50 scouts were in attendance to see him throw for Pinellas Park High School in Largo, Fla. He appeared to be on the fast track to the major leagues.

But early in the game he felt pain in his right elbow. A ligament had snapped.

"It was pretty devastating," Masset said of the injury. "I was only a 17-year-old kid and didn't know what to think."

The injury required Tommy John surgery and a yearlong rehabilitation.

With his draft status in doubt, all Masset had was a scholarship to Louisiana State University. The Texas Rangers, though, unexpectedly picked Masset in the eighth round of the 2000 draft.

Masset decided to pass on the LSU scholarship. Instead, he attended St. Petersburg Junior College, where he had fewer academic obligations and more time to focus on pitching.

"My main objective was to get back on the mound," he said.

Masset pitched 30 innings for the junior college before signing a $225,000 contract with the Rangers in May 2001. He was sent to the Rangers' Gulf Coast team, and his career appeared to be back on track.

Three years later, though, Masset was still toiling in Class A.

"I really had the stuff to be in the big leagues," he said. "But I had to get over the mental part of the game, learning how to pitch and do it efficiently."

After improving his command and his velocity, he shot up the Rangers system. He finally was called up in 2006 — six years after he was drafted.

"It was a long road and a long grind," Masset, 26, said. "When I got to the big leagues it was one of the best days of my life. I worked so hard."

Since being called up he's been traded twice — once to the Chicago White Sox and then to the Reds for his childhood hero, Ken Griffey Jr.

"The first time was probably the most weird. I thought I had moved myself up the ranks in the Texas organization and thought I had a future there," Masset said. "I wasn't expecting to get traded again. The year Ken Griffey Jr, was a rookie was the year I started collecting baseball cards. I think it's a really big statement being traded for a Hall of Famer."

Although he is still adjusting to his new team, he hopes that he has finally found a place where he can stay awhile. The big right-hander has a 1.88 earned run average in 14 1/3 innings of work. He hasn't had a decision, although he did throw two scoreless innings Sunday, Aug. 24, and was in line for a victory at Colorado until the Reds bullpen lost a late lead.

Masset is an unrestricted free agent after the season.

"I'm having a lot of fun in this organization," Masset said. "It's fun to play here."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...608spreds.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: DDN article on Nick Masset

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

Masset is an unrestricted free agent after the season.

"I'm having a lot of fun in this organization," Masset said. "It's fun to play here."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...608spreds.html

How do you figure he's an unrestricted FA? He has less than one year of service time. That's as restricted as it gets in MLB. He's not even arbitration eligible. These writers end their articles with inaccurate stuff like this and it makes you wonder what other kind of fiction they're feeding you

Nick Masset: the only player Jocketty has acquired for the Reds' Major League roster through his fifth month as GM.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Nick Masset: the only player Jocketty has acquired for the Reds' Major League roster through his fifth month as GM.
    Yeah, he's clearly not understanding that this 2008 team was just a player or two away from contending. Let's not even give him an offseason to show his wears.....cut him loose, we're about due for some new blood again anyway, right?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Yes and he did just like O'Brien and Krivsky, he traded away position players and offense to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Yeah, he's clearly not understanding that this 2008 team was just a player or two away from contending. Let's not even give him an offseason to show his wears.....cut him loose, we're about due for some new blood again anyway, right?
    It's nothing against Jocketty--I like most of the moves he's made so far--but I feel like Krivsky could have done just as good of a job as him as far as 2008 transactions go. If the attitude was going to change from 'winning now' to 'winning later', I might rather have Krivsky at the helm since the Reds' minor league talent level went from the worst in MLB to top-five during his tenure (according to Baseball America). I'm not saying Krivsky deserves all the credit for that, but with a lot of his moves, he clearly had the future in mind, and I really would have liked to have seen him carry on with his plan, even though it hadn't yet translated to the Major League level.

Anyway, back to Nick Masset, it's worth noting that he has no options left, so if the Reds are going to get rid of him, it will be probably be through trade or a prolonged period of terrible outings that force him off the roster since he would almost definitely be claimed off waivers.

--Nick Masset was in minor car accident. He's unavailable for a few days.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Turn Off Ads?