Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Why not Justin Lehr?

Why not Justin Lehr?

Why can't we give this guy a chance. I understand the 40-man argument, but Josh Fogg can be cut. What would it hurt to cut Fogg loose, and start Justin Lehr for a couple of games. He is in our system, his AAA ERA is 2.03, and the fact that he is about 30 means that if he fails at the major league level, we lose nothing if we cut him too. Why not, what else do we have to lose and what else does he have to do. I could make that argument for Ramon Ramirez, Adam Pettyjohn, and Jim Brower too, but Lehr is better this year in AAA then all of them too. Give him a chance.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why not Justin Lehr?

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    Why can't we give this guy a chance. I understand the 40-man argument, but Josh Fogg can be cut. What would it hurt to cut Fogg loose, and start Justin Lehr for a couple of games. He is in our system, his AAA ERA is 2.03, and the fact that he is about 30 means that if he fails at the major league level, we lose nothing if we cut him too. Why not, what else do we have to lose and what else does he have to do. I could make that argument for Ramon Ramirez, Adam Pettyjohn, and Jim Brower too, but Lehr is better this year in AAA then all of them too. Give him a chance.
    Jim Brower's been gone for quite some time.

I'd like to see Ramon Ramirez take Cueto's spot in the rotation for awhile, though.

I forgot that Brower had been gone. I just think that for he has done, Lehr deserves a chance.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

why try Lehr Fogg and Bako are a great battery especially with Patterson in center the reds are really strong up the middle, how about adding Rafael Santo Domingo at SS and Neil Fiala at 2B

I'm assuming this is all about Louisville's playoffs. I've heard the Reds say they don't want to dismantle that team til after the playoffs.

So we might not see any intriguing arms/bats from AAA until they're done... long after the usual Sept. 1 roster expansion.

Which admittedly kinda bugs me. Are we in the business of winning minor league championships or seasoning some guys who deserve the callup right now for the betterment of the 2009 big club?

Case in point: we'd see Stubbs up and Patterson DFA'd if they really cared about starting 2009 right now.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Because 1) He's old, 2) He has little to no talent, and 3) He has no big league future with any team.

Quote Originally Posted by NarrowStairs View Post
    Because 1) He's old, 2) He has little to no talent, and 3) He has no big league future with any team.
    I gues no talent can put up numbers like a 2.05 ERA. And sure he is old and might not have that much of a future, but even if given 2 starts in place of Fogg, what does anyone involved have to lose. Nothing. It is a no lose situation. If he fails, he was just doing what Fogg has been doing. Why not reward a guy in our system for a good year, and let him play in the majors. Nobody cares about AAA playoffs. If he fails, no big deal, that would just mean that we wouldn't bring him back to Louisville next year. If he does well, you never know what could happen. I am just saying that if a guy busts his butt and works hard, and makes results, he should be given a chance.

---Mr. Baseball 1992

I gues no talent can put up numbers like a 2.05 ERA. And sure he is old and might not have that much of a future, but even if given 2 starts in place of Fogg, what does anyone involved have to lose. Nothing. It is a no lose situation. If he fails, he was just doing what Fogg has been doing. Why not reward a guy in our system for a good year, and let him play in the majors. Nobody cares about AAA playoffs. If he fails, no big deal, that would just mean that we wouldn't bring him back to Louisville next year. If he does well, you never know what could happen. I am just saying that if a guy busts his butt and works hard, and makes results, he should be given a chance.
    I think the Reds and Bats are only using Lehr as a reliever now. It would not make sense to DFA Fogg so to call up Lehr, Maloney, or Pettyjohn to start on Saturday, because then someone else would have to be called up to start on Monday. According to yesterdays artical, the Reds were planning to maybe start Arroyo on short rest Saturday, but obviously, they wouln't do that after he pitched a complete game. Thompson is not fully rehabbed, so I think Ramirez is the only choice for Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomo88 View Post
    I think the Reds and Bats are only using Lehr as a reliever now. It would not make sense to DFA Fogg so to call up Lehr, Maloney, or Pettyjohn to start on Saturday, because then someone else would have to be called up to start on Monday. According to yesterdays artical, the Reds were planning to maybe start Arroyo on short rest Saturday, but obviously, they wouln't do that after he pitched a complete game. Thompson is not fully rehabbed, so I think Ramirez is the only choice for Saturday.
    We don't play next Monday, so how does my idea not make sense. I would wait until after Fogg pitched today or until next Monday (a day off) to DFA Fogg anyway. I never said anything about Saturday. My point is more of a generalized "what else does Lehr have to prove before he can be moved up".

---Mr. Baseball 1992

"what else does Lehr have to prove before he can be moved up".
    That going 0-6 with a 5.66era (35ip, 49h , 23r-22er, 13bb-20k) in korea is good pitching?

I can't find his Korean stats, where did you find them.

---Mr. Baseball 1992

I can't find his Korean stats, where did you find them.
    On the Bat's old game notes.

Turn Off Ads?