Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: August 26th Minor League Game Thread: Yonder Alonso makes his debut tonight

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

August 26th Minor League Game Thread: Yonder Alonso makes his debut tonight

According to Redlegnation.com, Yonder will start at 1B tonight for the Sarasota Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yonder Alonso makes his debut tonight

Nice. I was beginning to think that he wasn't going to get any playing time before the season ended. Alonso/Frazier/Francisco will be a nice 3-4-5. Sarasota has six games remaining so he'll probably only get about 25-30 plate appearances at the most.

We can just use this thread for tonight's minor league updates if you would like.

Louisville plays at 7:05 as Adam Pettyjohn takes the mound.

Chattanooga starts at 7:15 with Pedro Viola pitching.

Sarasota plays at 7:00 with Rafael Gonzalez making the start.

Dayton plays at 7:05...the Dragons have a three game lead in the wild card with seven games left.

Billings plays at 9:05 with Lance Janke pitching.

The GCL Reds are off.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    We can just use this thread for tonight's minor league updates if you would like.
    Done

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Done
    Big 10-4, partner.

Re: August 26th Minor League Game Thread: Yonder Alonso makes his debut tonight

I said this over at your site Doug, but you think they would send Yonder down to Dayton if they make the playoffs, to get some more AB's. A 2-6 of Cozart ss, Soto 3b, Alonso 1b, Waring DH, Mesoraco C, would be tough on an imposing pitcher.

The only thought that I could come up with is that Sarasota is the base of operations and with the seasons about to end, maybe the right people are in Sarasota preparing for fall instructional league and they have Alonso there just to get a better look at him.

I predict a homerun and a walk from Yonder tonight.

So Yonder never played for the GCL Reds, right? Was he just working out with them? That's great to hear he's starting tonight in high A.

BTW Louisville won their 85th game of the season last night, which is a new franchise record.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    I said this over at your site Doug, but you think they would send Yonder down to Dayton if they make the playoffs, to get some more AB's. A 2-6 of Cozart ss, Soto 3b, Alonso 1b, Waring DH, Mesoraco C, would be tough on an imposing pitcher.
    I see this mentioned a lot as a potential question, but does it ever actually happen.

The way I look at it, the major league club probably looks at the minor league playoffs as a reward for the players that have worked hard to get that minor league affiliate there. Somewhere on that Dragons roster (or any minor league roster about to make the playoofs) is a kid that has come to the realization that his major league dreams are drying up. Its time for his life's work, but he's put in this last season, working as hard as he could to help the dragons make the playoffs. Sure he's riden the bench most nights in favor of the younger, more highly rated kid that still has major league dreams, but he's put in his time, hoping to give his team what little boost they could and claim a minor league championship. Then all of a sudden, the playoffs roll around and while he's preparing his rally caps, the manager calls him in and informs him that he's being sent down a level while some up & commer w/ a whole 6 games under his belt is taking his place on the roster.

Honestly, how much benefit is is going to be to Yonder to get an extra 3, 6 or even 15 games (how long do the playoffs go?) at Dayton? I'd prefer to give that kid that worked hard all year his chance to represent, while allowing Yonder to continue to work in Sarasota once their season ends in preperation for fall instructional league or the Hawiian/Arizona Fall Leagues.

Yonder has done nothing to help the Dragons reach the post season this year, I'm guessing many of the kids on that roster would rather be represented in the playoffs by their fellow teammates that they've worked with all year, than somebody brought in specifically for the playoffs (even if it was Cueto/Harang/etc... on a "rehab" start). In the end, does it really matter if the Dragons win the Midwest league title? To the kids on the team, yes, to the Reds? Not really.

But with that said, I'd love to get a chance to see Yonder in Dayton during the playoffs, just to get a look at him. I'm hoping he has a solid debut in A+ tonight, and a successful rise to the Reds.

another thought (besides the question that's been running thru my head all day: will directTV end their anti-Time Warner, pro Big 10 network adds now?)

It wouldn't suprise me if the minor leagues had rules against this. Something similar to the major league rules where a player has to be on your roster at a certain point to be eligible for the playoffs, or has to have been on the roster/league for a certain amount of games. This would prevent a team from calling down their AA players to the Dragons to whip thru the mid west league playoffs.

Anyone know for certain? Would it work both ways, where an injury could beset a late season call up to the AAA bats from Chatanooga? Could that kid be eligible for the Bats playoff run despite only spending a couple of days in AAA

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    another thought (besides the question that's been running thru my head all day: will directTV end their anti-Time Warner, pro Big 10 network adds now?)

It wouldn't suprise me if the minor leagues had rules against this. Something similar to the major league rules where a player has to be on your roster at a certain point to be eligible for the playoffs, or has to have been on the roster/league for a certain amount of games. This would prevent a team from calling down their AA players to the Dragons to whip thru the mid west league playoffs.

Anyone know for certain? Would it work both ways, where an injury could beset a late season call up to the AAA bats from Chatanooga? Could that kid be eligible for the Bats playoff run despite only spending a couple of days in AAA
    There are rules in place, but not that would prohibit things like this. Remember last year, Dayton got Waring with like 1 regular season game left, then he played in the playoffs with them. There are rules that prohibit guys from coming down certain levels (Bailey was doing rehab in Sarasota and couldn't pitch in the playoffs for them because of his time spent in AAA/MLB).

thanks doug, I figured you'd have the answer.

Turn Off Ads?