Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Without Griffey chasing history, do we raise the walls?

Without Griffey chasing history, do we raise the walls?

Without Griffey, I think the walls in right field should be raised to match the rest of the ballpark. The walls were obviously very friendly to a hitter like Junior, and I wouldn't doubt that management had him in mind when they configured the park. I am sure there was a hope that short fence in right would allow Griffey to chase history, and Aaron.

I would like to see the walls raised, to make the park a bit more pitcher friendly, and maybe encourage free agents to look at Cincy more favorably.

Just a thought...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Without Griffey chasing history, do we raise the walls?

I think something needs to be done to bring down the launching pad nature of the stadium for sure.

Harang mentioned the other day that ownership should consider removing the first 2 rows of seats in right field and making the wall the same height as the left field wall. I'm sure Walt has put a bug in Castellini's ear about this already... so I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen during this offseason. There's obviously money that needs to be spent for doing this, but they really can't afford NOT to do it. This team needs all the help it can get for next year and beyond, and making the park a bit more pitcher-friendly is a good start.
    Last edited by PopFlyHomer; 08-26-2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: grammar

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

No.

We still have Bruce and Votto. Leave the RF porch alone. Jeese.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    No.

We still have Bruce and Votto. Leave the RF porch alone. Jeese.
    That's a valid point. I expect the two of them to one day combine for 60 jacks a year. When/if they develop true homerun power, then raise em up, and they can hit jacks anyway.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

Next Year

I don't know why, there's no absolute advantage to have the walls one way or the other.

Do something to make the ballpark less of a bandbox. This park was poorly planned out and honestly I think poorly designed. I wish current ownership was in charge of the construction and then the focus would have been on building a great park instead of coming in under budget.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I was kinda hoping the just push it back 5 to 6 feet.. with a non circular wall.. as in.. give it a little nook and let the field have a little deviation from the standard round outfield.. the outfield wall that isnt completely normal gives a park a little extra flavor..

Brandon Phillips may never hit another HR.

why not? unless we put a 60 foot high wall in left field....

It definitely would help. Ask Aaron Harang:

Harang pitches ideas to fix up the ballpark

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

HOUSTON — Aaron Harang is not an architect, although he took a drafting class in the eighth grade and his parents have designs he did of a three-bedroom, two-bathroom house.

Harang is willing to take his ideas — no charge — to Cincinnati Reds owner Bob Castellini on how to eliminate cheap home runs in Great American Ball Park.

"What they should do is remove two rows of seats in the right-field stands and raise the wall to the same height as it is in left field (12 feet)," Harang said. "That would eliminate line-drive home runs that barely clear the wall (8 feet) and end up in the first row.

"And they should raise the wall to the same height in center to eliminate home runs that barely clear the wall and land in the grass," he added.

"They should put wind screens up in that gap in the stands between home plate and third base that causes a jet stream to right and center," Harang added.

"I'm not *****ing about this because of my record (4-13), but I know that would save our pitchers 20 home runs a year and at least 30 runs," he said. "How many line drives barely clear that wall in right, and how many balls barely clear the center-field wall and drop into that grass? I know I've given up a few."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...redsnotes.html

It would definitely help our Pitching Staff, and Bruce and Votto aren't really guys who hit "cheap home runs".
    BP on the other hand - but of course he doesn't hit too many to RF.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I'm with Aaron Harang on this one. Let's fix those walls and at least try to make GABP a little less homer friendly. What can it hurt?!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Next Year

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I'm with Aaron Harang on this one. Let's fix those walls and at least try to make GABP a little less homer friendly. What can it hurt?!
    Is a park being homer friendly really a bad thing? Is a park being completely pitching dominated really a bad thing?

Everyone has to play in the same conditions in a particular game, I don't see the point in changing something just because there's a perceived imbalance between offense and pitching.

What might help the Reds pitching now might hurt the Reds offense in 10 years.

I think putting the wind screens up to eliminate the wind jet would be suffice. Raising the walls also may hurt this phenomenally great offense and just cause us to loose 2-0 a lot. But I think the wind screens can help eliminate some of the cheap home runs that get significantly wind aided.

I like the right field wall. The ballpark experience in left field does not compare to that in right if you're sitting in the first couple rows.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Turn Off Ads?