Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The goal for 2009 should be: build defense, and build a bench

The goal for 2009 should be: build defense, and build a bench

People talk about putting all kinds of money trying to get a big name free agent (which we're not going to outbid the big market teams for.) At this point I hope that mangement sets goals for next year based on building a remotely decent bench and getting players who can actually play defense effectively. I rather sink millions in 4 or 5 solid players, rather than having guys like Patterson, Andy Phillips, and Javier Valentine on the bench. It's pretty disturbing how horrible our "reserve" players have been, and how often they've started. Our defense speaks for itself. Forget the Sabathia pipe dream, next year a focus should be on depth and defensive depth.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The goal for 2009 should be: build defense, and build a bench

A bench? Better worry about the starting lineup first.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I agree, the Reds have a solid starting rotation and getting a legitimate center fielder and a true major league short stop would make them that much better.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

I disagree. Guys like Patterson, Valentin and Phillips won't be around next season because guys like Freel, Hopper, and Gonzalez won't be on the DL.

Besides, we're just not going to spend $20-25 million on bench players. I don't even know if that's possible.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 08-27-2008 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    I disagree. Guys like Patterson, Valentin and Phillips won't be around next season because guys like Freel, Hopper, and Gonzalez won't be on the DL.

Besides, we're just not going to spend $20-25 million on bench players. I don't even know if that's possible.
    You're right. And looking at his track record in St. Louis, he was able to bring in 1 year bench guys to perform decently. Of cousre, he Larussa instead of Dusty, but I digress..
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Been a member a little while but I guess this'll be my first post. Speaking of defense and money for bench players there's one thing I like the Reds to do. keep Hanigan in the lineup! I'm watching the game right now and I'm very impressed with his defense, he's sharp, agile and seems to be very one the edge (in a good way). I'm not saying they should look into the catcher position if there's a possibility but I'd rather see them going for some depth in the outfield or a new SS (Richar?). My point is, keep Hanigan, atleast as a backup.

It would be nice to have a Plan B that involves excellent defense at shortstop if Gonzalez doesn't work out. I don't want April 1st to come around and the Defense at shortstop to be in question for the 4th straight season.

Speed speed speed!
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

.500 finish would be nice. And who knows.... if a few things go right and guys blow up (young players) we could have a year like TB did this season.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Farnsie View Post
    Been a member a little while but I guess this'll be my first post. Speaking of defense and money for bench players there's one thing I like the Reds to do. keep Hanigan in the lineup! I'm watching the game right now and I'm very impressed with his defense, he's sharp, agile and seems to be very one the edge (in a good way). I'm not saying they should look into the catcher position if there's a possibility but I'd rather see them going for some depth in the outfield or a new SS (Richar?). My point is, keep Hanigan, atleast as a backup.

I agree that Hanigan is as good, if not better an option at catcher, than anything available in free agency or by trade.
    Who's on first?

Turn Off Ads?