Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockies put both Fuentes & Tavares on waivers....

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Rockies put both Fuentes & Tavares on waivers....

Now here's two guys that would draw some interest from me if I ran the Reds.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3554807

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rockies put both Fuentes & Tavares on waivers....

Willy Taveras and his career OBP of .332 and slugging percentage of .343 - playing in two obvious hitters' parks no less - does nothing for me.

Sure he steals a lot of bases, but even Dickerson can put up better numbers than that and still steal his share of bases and cover ground in center.

Fuentes isn't going anywhere unless there's a nice return coming back for him. He's been flat out dominant.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Taveras really struggled as a hitter in Houston. He has made steady improvement since then. He's a fantastic bunter, he's a great defensive CF'er, he's a terror on the basepaths (low CS% too). For a team looking for a CF'er and leadoff hitter most of the year...he's a pretty damned good option IMO.

I truthfully think Dickerson is earning that job, but Taveras would be a pretty nice 2nd option. I'd certainly prefer him over Patterson, Freel, Cabrera or the fragile Hairston Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Taveras really struggled as a hitter in Houston. He has made steady improvement since then. He's a fantastic bunter, he's a great defensive CF'er, he's a terror on the basepaths (low CS% too). For a team looking for a CF'er and leadoff hitter most of the year...he's a pretty damned good option IMO.

I truthfully think Dickerson is earning that job, but Taveras would be a pretty nice 2nd option. I'd certainly prefer him over Patterson, Freel, Cabrera or the fragile Hairston Jr.
    But at what cost? That is always the key...

Fuentes is having the best year of his career, and he was an All-Star from 2005-7. He certainly won't be given away.

Willy Taveras would be a dream acquisition for Dusty Baker (doesn't walk, has speed, likes to bunt, plays center field, speaks Spanish), and that tells me the Reds should stay far away from him. His current .618 OPS in a hitter's park only reaffirms that.

yeah i"d like to think that Dickerson over 160 games can post better numbers than Tavares

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Fuentes isn't going anywhere unless there's a nice return coming back for him. He's been flat out dominant.
    I saw him on the FA list, why give up anything for him? Won't Jocketty and other's try to sign him in the off season?

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    I saw him on the FA list, why give up anything for him? Won't Jocketty and other's try to sign him in the off season?
    Yeah, there's no reason for the Reds to try to acquire him this year. The Rockies are just hoping they can trade him for prospects to a playoff contender, and if no one who they like is offered, they'll just try to re-sign him or take the draft pick compensation.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Now here's two guys that would draw some interest from me if I ran the Reds.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3554807
    I'm confused as to why 4 weeks of any player would interest you.

I believe we are no longer a contender.

The Reds would have zero interest in trading for these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I'm confused as to why 4 weeks of any player would interest you.

I believe we are no longer a contender.

The Reds would have zero interest in trading for these guys.
    Taveras is a restricted free agent, so if the Reds wanted him for next year, they could target him now. Fuentes, however, would be as good as gone after the year, and only a playoff contender should have interest.

If the Reds put Cordero on waivers, I don't see how a deal with the Mets couldn't be worked out. They need to fix their bullpen quickly.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    If the Reds put Cordero on waivers, I don't see how a deal with the Mets couldn't be worked out. They need to fix their bullpen quickly.
    I can tell you how. Cordero has a full no-trade clause for the first two years of the contract.

The Willy Taveras of 2007 was a good option for leadoff. The Willy Taveras of 2005, 2006, and 2008 is clearly not.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I can tell you how. Cordero has a full no-trade clause for the first two years of the contract.
    So I take it that means that he's not allowed to be put on waivers? I wonder if he'd approve a deal to a contender?
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?