Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A simple Question...

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

A simple Question...

Would you, as a Reds fan, be satisfied with an offense that usually gets less than 7 hits and scores less than 4 runs even with excellent pitching?

I find it extremely boring baseball. I do not think I'm alone, even though Bronson Arroyo pitched a masterful game.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A simple Question...

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Would you, as a Reds fan, be satisfied with an offense that usually gets less than 7 hits and scores less than 4 runs even with excellent pitching?

I find it extremely boring baseball. I do not think I'm alone, even though Bronson Arroyo pitched a masterful game.
    Presuming the Reds win (which tonight they did), there's not a game I'd rather watch, actually.

As is evidenced by the fact that this is the first game that I've watched much of in almost two months, in the midst of a national party convention to boot.

That's just different tastes, though. There's no right or wrong; baseball has different faces.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Presuming the Reds win (which tonight they did), there's not a game I'd rather watch, actually.

As is evidenced by the fact that this is the first game that I've watched much of in almost two months, in the midst of a national party convention to boot.

That's just different tastes, though. There's no right or wrong; baseball has different faces.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I love pitchers duels and slug-fests equally. I don't love it when half of each occurs in the same game.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

The rank of entertainment looks like this:

Higher Scoring, Reds Win
    Lower Scoring, Reds Win

Lower Scoring, Reds Lose
    Higher Scoring, Reds Lose

Bottom line, if they score more runs than the give up I'll be entertained.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 08-27-2008 at 12:45 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I really don't care how they get there but I want them to win lots of games and banners.
    Go Gators!

More pitching, more defense, more wins, works for me. Especially after watching 2001 through 2008.

Reds have the less offense part down pat, now they just need the more pitching and defense.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Reds have the less offense part down pat, now they just need the more pitching and defense.
    Cincinnati at
    Houston
    Wed, Aug 27 - 8:05 pm EDT
    J. Fogg vs. R. Oswalt

April
    .261 .331 .428 .760
    May
    .263 .339 .417 .755
    June
    .218 .304 .362 .665
    July
    .259 .327 .433 .761
    August
    .224 .281 .389 .670

Opponents
    April
    .265 .330 .433 .763
    May
    .278 .347 .455 .802
    June
    .274 .344 .461 .805
    July
    .277 .342 .445 .788
    August
    .294 .365 .470 .835
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 08-27-2008 at 01:05 AM.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I share the sentiment that as long as they would be winning I'd be happy. At least I think I would be. The situation hasn't presented itself in so long I'm left to assume I would be.

I actually tend to enjoy the pitchers duel games quite a bit though. Faster paced and the the buildup to runs actually being scored feels more meaningful.

The only type of game I despise watching is a game that is played very sloppy with lotsa errors, base running mistakes, bad managerial decisions etc.

I guess that explains why I haven't watched the 08 version of the Redlegs much lately.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    The only type of game I despise watching is a game that is played very sloppy with lotsa errors, base running mistakes, bad managerial decisions etc.

I guess that explains why I haven't watched the 08 version of the Redlegs much lately.
    I've watched or followed every game (almost) this year. I've seen this team go from one who could score runs in bunches to an incompetent offensive team with no defense and mediocre pitching. It is really boring to me, but...

My point (missed by most) is if this team continues to average less than 4 runs and 9 hits per game, how good will the pitching have to be to win? With most any squad allowing +/- 4 runs per game, you have to average 5 runs to win. You'll wins some, but you'll lose more. I want to see action and that doesn't include a pitcher than allows 2 runs over 6 innings. I miss the offense of 2005.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I really don't care how they get there but I want them to win lots of games and banners.
    This word banner... I'm not familiar with this. Could you elaborate?

I miss the offense of 2005.
    Code:
    August 26
    2005 60 68 .469 20.5 games behind  666 runs scored
    2008 58 74 .439 24   games behind  556 runs scored

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Code:
    August 26
    2005 60 68 .469 20.5 games behind  666 runs scored
    2008 58 74 .439 24   games behind  556 runs scored
    Regardless. The great pitching strides of 2008 (YMMV) haven't resulted in any more wins due to emasculated offense.

Same old same old.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?