Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Inventor has solution for aluminum bat ping and wood bat breakage

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Inventor has solution for aluminum bat ping and wood bat breakage

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=449995

New bat designed to take 'ping' out of baseball
    Posted: August 26, 2008

LITTLE FALLS, N.J. (AP) -- A New Jersey inventor says he has come up with a way to take that aluminum "ping" out of youth baseball and the broken bat out of the national pastime, while making the game a little safer with every swing.

It's the unbreakable wooden bat, at least one that is guaranteed for a year.

Ward Dill unveiled his Radial Bat on Tuesday, promising the revolutionary stick would prevent injuries caused by the shattering of conventional wooden bats while providing a safer alternative to metal bats used in youth leagues and through college. "We want this to be true to the game of baseball," Dill said. "We don't want our bat to suddenly change the parameters of the game. We want to fit comfortably in those parameters and I think we will."

An MIT graduate with decades of woodworking experience, Dill made his first radial bat in March 2006, about two weeks after making a rosewood vase.

The vase was made by combining wedges into a single form. Dill was astounded by its strength, and it made him think of baseball, a sport he played until Mike Flanagan of UMass, who would go on to star with the Baltimore Orioles, threw him pitches he had never seen before.

"I accepted I was not Major League caliber at that point," the 55-year-old said.

The bat is another story, Dill said.

It is made from 12 wedges that are combined with adhesive and clamping pressure. The result is that the outside of each wedge has a tight grain surface, guaranteeing the best hitting surface at every spot on the bat.
    "The result is that it is very strong, and as a result of it being strong it is very safe," Dill said. "It is impossible for this maple bat to shatter in the way the maple bats shatter in the major leagues today. You will never have a barrel separating from the handle. The worst thing that can happen is a crack. There is a never a catastrophic break."

There is also no trampoline effect, Dill said. The ball does not jump off the bat.

"The difference between a catastrophic injury and a bruise is a just little movement," Dill said.

To prove his point, Dill had youngster at the news conference at Yogi Berra Stadium take batting practice. No one broke a bat.
    "I liked it, it felt great," said Ed Koeffling of Pennsville, a Montclair State University outfielder. "I liked the handle. Usually bats like that break easy. This felt pretty durable."

Koeffling said the bat has less jump than an aluminum bat, but more than a conventional wooden bat.

"All the normal things that happen with bats will happen with this bat," Dill said. "If you hit a ball on the sweet spot of this bat and the sweet spot of a traditional bat, the ball will go equally far."

The cost of a maple Radial Bat for an adult is $150, $20 more expensive than an ash model. The youth models run $120 and $100, with the maple again being more expensive.

If a bat cracks within the first year it will be replaced or fixed, Dill said.
    Cost could be an issue for some towns. Let's say there is an eight-team league and each team has four of the least expensive Radial bats. That would be $3,200 for bats.

"I can't put a price on the safety of the children," said Montclair Councilman Rick Murnick, who attended news conference with his son. "I don't know the particulars of what it costs. If it works, we'll find a way to make it work in Montclair."

Standing next to the batting cage, longtime New York sports writer Phil Pepe said he loved the sound of the bat against the ball.

"It sounds like it is supposed to -- any wood bat is better to me than the ping of the aluminum bat," he said. "You watch the College World Series and hear that ping and to me, it is not baseball."

Dill, whose company was formed last year, said his bats are currently being sold in six independent sporting good stores in New Jersey and New York.

Major League Baseball would have to test the bats and approve them before they could be used in big league games.

Pepe proposed his own test.

"So many bats are broken every game, especially when Mariano Rivera is pitching," Pepe said of the New York Yankees great reliever. "That would be the true test. Let him pitch and try to break that bat."
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Ya can't teach speed...

Re: Inventor has solution for aluminum bat ping and wood bat breakage

There is a bat company located in Indiana (Valaparaiso I think) that has been making a laminated bat for years. It is a 3 piece bat made of three different types of wood. I think the handle is made of ash (up to about the label) the barrel is hickory and the end cap (the last couple of inches) is made of maple. The three pieces are finger jointed and clued under pressure making the joints stronger than the wood itself. I have one of their fungo bats made that way and I'have had it for 20 years. The owner/inventer swears that it is nearly unbreakable but balanced much like an all maple or all ash bat. The last time I talked to him he was still lobbying the MLB and MILB to all it to be used. He's a bit out spoken but he believes the major bat manufactureres are blocking the use of laminated bats. Here is a link:
    http://www.hoosierbat.com/info.html
    Last edited by Triples; 08-27-2008 at 10:50 AM.

I know some laminated softball bats are made of bamboo. Always wanted one of those.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

When I was at Tulane I did some side work freshman year covering the baseball team. At one game, I got into a discussion with a scout/writer at a game (he was watching Jake Gautreau) about metal bats and the difficulties involved with making the transition from college because of it.

He told me that a lot of college programs would fold up and die if they were forced to go to the wood bat not because of the cost involved but, rather, because the metal bat has the ability to make below-average hitters passable college players. Without those players, many teams (especially northern programs) wouldn't have enough even barely-average players to field a competitive squad. I always found that outlook interesting and wondered if there was any truth to it.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

He told me that a lot of college programs would fold up and die if they were forced to go to the wood bat not because of the cost involved but, rather, because the metal bat has the ability to make below-average hitters passable college players.
    Hey, that could be a blessing in disguise. If the hitters weren't as good, maybe college coaches wouldn't be as motivated to run their best pitchers out there every other day until their arms were shredded.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

I remember in the fall of 88 my college team got some graphite bats which were supposed to replace aluminum. I remember using it in BP but other than a different sound to theme I forget how they performed.

Turn Off Ads?