Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wednesday August 27th minor league updates

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Wednesday August 27th minor league updates

Nice job by the Lookouts. Heisey had a heck of a game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Chattanooga won 5-4.

Henry: 1-for-5
    Heisey: 3-for-4 double, homerun (#8), walk, 2 RBI
    Valaika: 1-for-4 homerun (#18)
    Eymann: 1-for-2 homerun (#7), two walks
    Gutierrez: 1-for-2 SB

Geronimo: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Watson: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Nice job by the Lookouts. Heisey had a heck of a game.
    As I've been saying, this kid can play.

My guess would be either Soto or Frasier at 3b in 3 seasons (assuming the third baseman comes from w/n the organization).

I know a lot of people love Edwin, but the more I watch him, the more and more I see Wily Mo Pena. Both have a world of talent, but both have a lot of stupid at bats (ie swinging at a first pitch out of the zone when the pitcher just walked the batter ahead of them on 5 pitches). Many thought Wily would shine once he was given a chance to play every day, but he's never developed into much other than a batting practice phenom.

Edwin is more polished both at the plate and in the field, but he still leaves a lot to be desired. I don't know if Frazier or Soto would be any better in the majors in 3 seasons, but at least is something different from the annoyance that Edwin has been to me the last couple of seasons.

Waring & Francisco both can hit the long ball, but both struggle to make contact. I haven't followed Waring as much this season, but I know Francisco still struggle with that. If they can improve their plate discipline, they'd have a chance to shine in the majors, short of that, I think both will be nice pop off the bench and provide backups at 3B, 1B & LF.

In the end, 2-3 or more of them (including Edwin) will be shipped off in a trade in the next 3 seasons. W/ the glut of them in the system, I suspect Walt will use one of them as trade bait this offseason along w/ other established players or prospect to bring in something to help the big club out.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    As I've been saying, this kid can play.
    Heisey was a triple away from the cycle and made several outstanding plays
    in the outfield. He was selected to the FSL post season All-Star team with
    Juan Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    My guess would be either Soto or Frasier at 3b in 3 seasons (assuming the third baseman comes from w/n the organization).

I know a lot of people love Edwin, but the more I watch him, the more and more I see Wily Mo Pena. Both have a world of talent, but both have a lot of stupid at bats (ie swinging at a first pitch out of the zone when the pitcher just walked the batter ahead of them on 5 pitches). Many thought Wily would shine once he was given a chance to play every day, but he's never developed into much other than a batting practice phenom.

Edwin is more polished both at the plate and in the field, but he still leaves a lot to be desired. I don't know if Frazier or Soto would be any better in the majors in 3 seasons, but at least is something different from the annoyance that Edwin has been to me the last couple of seasons.

Waring & Francisco both can hit the long ball, but both struggle to make contact. I haven't followed Waring as much this season, but I know Francisco still struggle with that. If they can improve their plate discipline, they'd have a chance to shine in the majors, short of that, I think both will be nice pop off the bench and provide backups at 3B, 1B & LF.

In the end, 2-3 or more of them (including Edwin) will be shipped off in a trade in the next 3 seasons. W/ the glut of them in the system, I suspect Walt will use one of them as trade bait this offseason along w/ other established players or prospect to bring in something to help the big club out.
    I agree on Soto to the extent that I think he's the best overall prospect in the bunch. And by all accounts, Frazier is a major-leaguer-in-waiting. But I'm much more optimistic concerning Francisco. In addition to his power, I like the fact that he produces lots of RBIs and total bases. Of course he could use considerably more walks, but as a 4-5 batter I'll take the hits. Plus, he's a switch-hitter. Plus, he's really young. Plus, he was rated the top defensive 3B in the Florida St League. Apparently he has a killer arm. My question regarding him is what his future position is to be. The same with Soto, Frazier and even Waring. Even Edwin. To me, it's an exercise in sorting out the positions.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Francisco is not a switch hitter. He used to be, thus still gets listed as such, but he is not switch hitting anymore.

Thanks. Which way does he go?

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Thanks. Which way does he go?
    Lefty.

I agree on Francisco, I wouldn't move him just to move him, or to open up a spot for someone else (even soto), I'm just not sure that I'm sold on his future. Granted my personal experience is seeing Francisco once, Frasier once, Soto once, and I think Waring was hurt my only opportunity.

Francisco's got power that you can't teach, and generally produces a solid stat line, I'm just not sure if his lack of walks will catch up with him. Still w/ everything else, I'd definently be looking at him as somebody that could be an answer to the Reds future puzzle.

But at the same time, if he was the deal breaker to bring in a significant addition to the major league squad, I'd move him along, thinking one of the other 3 minor leaguers could make up for Francisco in due time.

Resident PED Expert

Is there any chance that the Reds jump Soto over Sarasota to Chattanooga? That could be a mean lean line up at Nooga...

1B - Parker / Alonso
    2B - Turner
    3B - Soto
    SS - Frazier
    LF - Francisco
    CF - Heisley
    RF - Symanaski
    C- ????

Soto can flat rake... I don't know that he couldn't handle AA pitching right now... Him and Fransisco could give us a nice left, right punch to the line up by 2010. Soto would have alot more line up protection than he would have in Sarasota

Heisley
    Turner
    Alonso
    Soto
    Francisco
    Frazier
    Symanaski
    Catcher

Man that could be a very good offensive team... kinda like what Huntville had this year.

That also would allow Valakia, Dorn, Henry and Guitierez to be pushed to Louisville...
    Last edited by nemesis; 08-28-2008 at 01:25 PM.

That also would allow Valakia, Dorn, Henry and Guitierez to be pushed to Louisville...
    Turner will be there too.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Is there any chance that the Reds jump Soto over Sarasota to Chattanooga? That could be a mean lean line up at Nooga...

1B - Parker / Alonso
    2B - Turner
    3B - Soto
    SS - Frazier
    LF - Francisco
    CF - Heisley
    RF - Symanaski
    C- ????

Soto can flat rake... I don't know that he couldn't handle AA pitching right now... Him and Fransisco could give us a nice left, right punch to the line up by 2010. Soto would have alot more line up protection than he would have in Sarasota

Heisley
    Turner
    Alonso
    Soto
    Francisco
    Frazier
    Symanaski
    Catcher

Man that could be a very good offensive team... kinda like what Huntville had this year.

I will be in Chattanooga this weekend to see the Looks close out the year
    with Huntsville. The Stars had all that offense and still did not make the playoffs. Hopefully there will be no season ending brawls.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Turner will be there too.
    I'm not so sure. He might be blocked if neither Janish or Richar make the big club. I dont see him as a bench player. He might get a promotion latter in the year...

I'd say there's no chance that Soto skips high-A. As impressive as he's been, he is still very raw. His defense needs work, and it would help him quite a bit to learn some plate discipline. He's also very young, so I think the Reds are comfortable with taking their time with him.

Turn Off Ads?