Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Wednesday August 27th minor league updates

Re: Wednesday August 27th minor league updates

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Yes. Just based on your scenario, I'd pick the higher OBP guy, simply because, and this is just my impression, plate discipline or IsoD doesn't slump as much as batting average. IOW, a guy with a higher IsoD will still get on base even while in the throes of an 0-fer.

But all things considered, I'd love to have both and bat the .400 OBP in front of the .300 BA guy.
    I might pick him, too, in the sense that he is more versatile in terms of the batting order. I don't know that I buy into the slump immunity because the totals are still the totals.

I do think, however, that there are specific situations when the .300 OBP guy could be equally or even more valuable to a particular team, depending on its makeup. And mostly -- this is my main point -- I think that it's quite wrong to totally dismiss a power-hitting run producer on the basis of a low OBP.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Personally, I want the 50 opportunities to go to someone. One guy will get a hit 3/10ths of the time and get out the rest. The other guy will get a hit 3/10ths of the time, walk 1/10th of the time and get out the rest. Yeah, I'd rather my guy come through but, as you said in your scenario, both guys are .300 hitters so they're have the same chance at hitting the ball. The advantage is with the high OBP guy, even if he fails to get a hit, there's a chance he'll extended the inning rather than shorten or end it.
    Actually, they don't get hits at the same rate. Not in terms of plate appearances. The .300 OBP guy gets hits at a .300 clip. The .400 OBP guy gets hits at a .258 clip and walks at a .142 clip. So they don't have the same chance at hitting the ball. That's an essential point in this discussion.

Bottom line, the .300 OBP guy will drive in more runs and the .400 OBP guy will score more. Their relative value depends on what the lineup most requires.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Actually, they don't get hits at the same rate. Not in terms of plate appearances. The .300 OBP guy gets hits at a .300 clip. The .400 OBP guy gets hits at a .258 clip and walks at a .142 clip. So they don't have the same chance at hitting the ball. That's an essential point in this discussion.
    That's changing your original scenario:

Both of them bat .300 over 500 plate appearances. One has a .300 OBP, which means he never walks and has 150 hits. (I'm making extreme cases to demonstrate the point.) The other has a .400 OBP, which means he has 129 hits and 71 walks.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

I'm not changing it. Both are them DO bat .300 in 500 plate appearances. But for a guy with a .400 OBP to do that, it means that 71 of his PAs are walks. So he has only 429 at-bats. To hit .300 over those 429 at bats, he must get 129 hits. Now, if you spread those 129 hits over 500 PAs, his rate of getting hits (not his batting average) is .258.

By the way, I think we pretty much agree on all of this.

I'm not changing it. Both are them DO bat .300 in 500 plate appearances. But for a guy with a .400 OBP to do that, it means that 71 of his PAs are walks. So he has only 429 at-bats. To hit .300 over those 429 at bats, he must get 129 hits. Now, if you spread those 129 hits over 500 PAs, his rate of getting hits (not his batting average) is .258.

By the way, I think we pretty much agree on all of this.
    Good point, yes!
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Turn Off Ads?