Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Big Ten Predictions

Re: Weekly Big Ten Predictions

Boeckman Int for a TD. Ball was thrown late.

21-3 USC.

Our offense seems to have more of a rhythm with Pryor in there, spreading the USC defense more; but Tressel's gonna stick with his gameplan and continue to put Boeckman in there.

Boeckman now gets blindsided on the blitz, fumbles, and USC recovers.

I think I'll see what is on Starz.

Have mercy on us Carroll!
    Last edited by GAC; 09-13-2008 at 09:43 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Boekman Int for a TD. Ball was thrown late.
    Let the Pryor era begin. Please.

Boeckman *could* be a good QB on a team with a great line and some decent receivers. But everyone knows he's nearly as mobile and quick as ("tuck the ball") Jeff George on a good day, so they blitz on nearly every down. Boeckman just can't deliver when he gets that kind of pressure.

This OSU line hasn't exactly helped either. The porousness and silly holding plays make Boeckman and the 2008 Buckeyes a bad combination.
    Last edited by D-Man; 09-13-2008 at 09:44 PM.

Well this game appears to be over already...sort of expected it.

And yes let Pryor handle a drive. Boeckman has time and time again proved he's not capable of playing well at this level. I am not sure why Tressel's teams look this bad in big games either, despite the fact USC is a better team.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    It wasn't in the BCS last year.

Yes, I know. That's why I said I didn't think it would be fatal but it could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
    Let the Pryor era begin. Please.
    The only way we are going to have a chance in this game.

And the holding penalties are coming because USC's defensive front is too fast, penetrating, and really showing up our offensive line.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Not a chance. I'm a USC fan but I have a bad feeling about this game. OSU will win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Young View Post
    youre wrong, my friend. usc will roll big time in this one. jmho.

cant believe youre picking against your team in this game

Yet another horrible embarrassment for the Buckeyes, not sure Tressel recovers from this. With the awful state of the Big Ten, I think we've seen the last of the annual top 5years, for the Buckeyes.

The rest of the nation is probably pretty sick of seeing them not put up good games by now also, unless they're playing a Big Ten team.

This is downright embarassing.

USC has gotten into the Buckeye's heads so bad that this team is beaten down - emotionally, mentally, and physically - in this one.

There's another Boeckman INT.

USC, up 35-3, is not gonna let up either.

And the 2nd half play calling, IMO, has been terrible (very predictable).
    Last edited by GAC; 09-13-2008 at 11:01 PM.

You could see this beat-down coming a mile away. After being out of Big 10 towns for a while now (since graduating UW in 2004), it's clear that they aren't a top tier conference.

Obviously this game would have been different with Beanie, but OSU just isn't on the same level as a team like USC - and beating up on a weak Big 10 hardly proves otherwise.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Just watched it and it was pretty much what I thought it was going to be. Boeckman is terrible. He's in way over his head. Beanie would have made a difference, but not near enough to make up for such a bad QB. Had they scored that 2Q TD, and had Boeckman not thrown that gawd-awful INT in the 2Q, it might have been more respectable, but it still wouldn't have been a tight game. They had a major league offense, and OSU's was AAA. Herbstreit said several times before the game and early in the game about how Tressel had to get away from tendencies for them to have any chance. That was his way of saying Tressel is very predictable and hasn't shown an ability to go away from whathe knows. Well, they did a few times and had some success. But for the most part, they were very predictable. I know it's against popular opinion here, but I think he's very over-rated as a coach. In his almost 8 years as coach of OSU, they've had a plus offense for exactly one season and a half. The second half of the season once Troy Smith became the starter and the next year when he won the Heisman. They've been pedestrian pretty much the rest of the Tressel era,and I'm tired of watching them. If he doesn't bring someone else in to install an offense, we're going to see more of the same. Tressel got a lot of credit based on the 2002 season, but he's been very much exposed since the first lost title game. They ought to open up the checkbook to bring in a big time coordinator from somewhere else, like whoever is running BYU's offense.

I don't know lots about many of the top 25 schools, but I doubt Boeckman would be the starting QB at many of them, if any at all. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say he's barely D1 football material. How OSU can have so much talent (and yes, for those who got a lot of enjoyment out of the game, OSU still has TONS of talent) throughout the rest of the team and be THAT deficient at QB is beyond me. With a healthy Beanie Wells, a good QB would make OSU a legit top 5 team this year. With Boeckman, I don't think they're top 10.

I agree with those who said let the Pryor era begin. We got some glimpses tonight at just how good he's got the potential to be. Let him take his lumps this year and come out next year with experience.

But also keep in mind that USC is agood deal better than ANY other team in the country. It's not that close. USC could easily handle anyone in the country, including any team in the SEC. Playing in LA, I don't think anyone could come within 2 TDs of them. So while OSU's weaknesses were exposed, I don't think they're alone in getting beaten badly by the Trojans. The Pac-10 is weaker than even the Big Ten this year, so I highly doubt they even get challenged this year. They can pretty much coast to the national title game from here. The only question is who will play them. As Herbstreit said, this might be the most talented team Carroll's had since he's been there. And THAT is scary.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

BTW outside of USC, the PAC 10 is just as miserable as the Big 10...

I wish they could have played in OS and rolled liek this......always fun to go into someone else's place and roll big....so you cannot hear a pin drop.

Doubt USC would have rolled as easily in OS with or without the injured RB.

Being from LA......USC has had a bad habit of thinking they can just walk out to the field and win a game against some bad teams. I think Sanchez is better than Booty....so maybe that will not happen this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    You could see this beat-down coming a mile away. After being out of Big 10 towns for a while now (since graduating UW in 2004), it's clear that they aren't a top tier conference.
    I don't disagreeabout the Big Ten. But I just don't see any other conferences outside of the SEC that are all that great either. The Pac-10 had some good teams last year, but prior to that, they were very weak for several year. And this year, they're terrible, IMO. The ACC and Big East don't have much. The Big 12 is pretty good this year at the top with Oklahoma, Texas, and Mizzou, but they don't have lots of depth. And before last year, it was Texas and Oklahoma and no one else.

So while the Big Ten isn't the conference they used to be, outside of the SEC I don't see any other conference really separating themselves.

Obviously this game would have been different with Beanie, but OSU just isn't on the same level as a team like USC - and beating up on a weak Big 10 hardly proves otherwise.
    Like I said in my last post, I don't think there's anyone capable of running with USC this year. I'm down on OSU this year, but I think there's only a few teams in the country that could pull away from them. Outside of that, they could play anyone close, IMO. They might not win, but with a healthy Beanie, they could give most teams a run for their money. I don't underestimate the impact Wells will make when healthy. They obviously still get beat tonight, but he's arguably the best back in the country and is a huge difference maker. He's a special player and will make OSU a much better team when he's back.

I think this will be a different team by the end of the season, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing their bowl game. The defense is still really good and I think (at least I hope) that Pryor is getting a majority of the snaps by the end of the year. I think they'll be much better by then and will likely play a really good team in a bowl. And I think they'll have a good chance to win. USC is just a freak this year.
    Last edited by MWM; 09-14-2008 at 12:30 AM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    In his almost 8 years as coach of OSU, they've had a plus offense for exactly one season and a half. The second half of the season once Troy Smith became the starter and the next year when he won the Heisman.
    Troy Smith took over at QB in 2004, and was the starter after the Texas game in 2005, then won the Heisman in 2006.

They've been pedestrian pretty much the rest of the Tressel era,and I'm tired of watching them. If he doesn't bring someone else in to install an offense, we're going to see more of the same. Tressel got a lot of credit based on the 2002 season, but he's been very much exposed since the first lost title game. They ought to open up the checkbook to bring in a big time coordinator from somewhere else, like whoever is running BYU's offense.
    I agree with this and I think brining in someone outside of his circle to run the offense would be an excellent idea. I've had about enough of Bollman and Tressel's play calling.

I don't know lots about many of the top 25 schools, but I doubt Boeckman would be the starting QB at many of them, if any at all. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say he's barely D1 football material. How OSU can have so much talent (and yes, for those who got a lot of enjoyment out of the game, OSU still has TONS of talent) throughout the rest of the team and be THAT deficient at QB is beyond me. With a healthy Beanie Wells, a good QB would make OSU a legit top 5 team this year. With Boeckman, I don't think they're top 10.
    Boekman wasn't a major recruit, in fact he was grey shirted his first year and red shirted his second. He was just one of those Ohio QBs brought in to add depth. tOSU has brough in some talent in recent years--both Justin Zwick and Robby Schoenhoft were 4 star prospects--but they never panned out. This team was supposed to be led by Schoenhoft or Antonio Henton, but Tressel did his normal thing last year and started Boeckman from the beginning because he was the guy who had been around the longest. Todd predictably beat up on weak competition to start last season, and Tress decided to stick with him down the stretch, even after it became obvious he was the wrong choice from the beginning.

I agree with those who said let the Pryor era begin. We got some glimpses tonight at just how good he's got the potential to be. Let him take his lumps this year and come out next year with experience.

But also keep in mind that USC is agood deal better than ANY other team in the country. It's not that close. USC could easily handle anyone in the country, including any team in the SEC. Playing in LA, I don't think anyone could come within 2 TDs of them. So while OSU's weaknesses were exposed, I don't think they're alone in getting beaten badly by the Trojans. The Pac-10 is weaker than even the Big Ten this year, so I highly doubt they even get challenged this year. They can pretty much coast to the national title game from here. The only question is who will play them. As Herbstreit said, this might be the most talented team Carroll's had since he's been there. And THAT is scary.
    Spot on analysis...

Fowler and Herbstreit must have suggested the Pryor era start now about a dozen times. As a Badger fan, I hope not.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?