Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the Love for Frazier?

Why the Love for Frazier?

I understand how well he's hit, but he's apparently strictly a corner guy with the glove. Corner guys are supposed to mash. As a middle infielder (or, as of now, a CF or C), Frazier's bat profiles as plus. (Thus, his prospect wattage ascends.) But, as a corner, he's no more than average.

IMO, Valaika's SS/ 2B bat (and possibly Stubbs' CF bat) are more advantageous than Frazier's.

Opinions?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why the Love for Frazier?

Who says Frazier's bat only projects as average at a corner spot?

Eventually, when Frazier gets called up and after a while optioned back, will Marty get to say: "Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!"
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I went back and looked at some reports on Frazier to confirm that I'm not the only one who things his bat is just average at a corner spot. Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus says Frazier has true middle-of-the-order potential with his bat, no matter where he plays. Baseball America sees him as a 25 homerun guy, which I agree with. He's never going to be a superstar but he does a lot of things well. He reminds me a bit of Kevin Youkilis. I think he'll settle in nicely as a .375+ OBP/.500+ SLG type of player who will draw plenty of walks and hit roughly 25 homers... give or take a couple.

That's great OBM, but it's not exactly middle of the order power. He's solid, sure, but not an A prospect, IMO.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    That's great OBM, but it's not exactly middle of the order power. He's solid, sure, but not an A prospect, IMO.
    So you agree with what OBM said about Frazier and his roughly .875 OPS projection from a corner guy, but thats not an A type prospect? .875 is above average at every position in baseball, well above average for the corner outfield spots and for 3B. So unless Frazier moves to 1B, which is doubtful given Votto and Alonso, he is projecting from what you agreed with OBM on, to be well above average. How is that not an A type prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I think he'll settle in nicely as a .375+ OBP/.500+ SLG type of player who will draw plenty of walks and hit roughly 25 homers... give or take a couple.
    I'll take it.

sorry he doesn't have Dunn 40 HR power,
    Votto 25 HR power
    Bruce 30+HR power
    Alonso 25-30 HR power
    Frazier 25 HR power
    Valaika 15-20 HR power
    Phillips 25-30 HR power

......... I think will have plenty of power

An .875+ OPS isn't middle of the order? That's a great number five hitter to me. The Cubs have gotten an .859 OPS out of their #5 hitters this season. The Red Sox have gotten an .829 OPS out of the #5 spot. Brewers .775. Rays .845. Cardinals .858. I would be quite pleased with a .875 OPS and 25 homeruns out of the 5th spot in the lineup, or even 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    An .875+ OPS isn't middle of the order? That's a great number five hitter to me. The Cubs have gotten an .859 OPS out of their #5 hitters this season. The Red Sox have gotten an .829 OPS out of the #5 spot. Brewers .775. Rays .845. Cardinals .858. I would be quite pleased with a .875 OPS and 25 homeruns out of the 5th spot in the lineup, or even 4th.
    That's the minors. EE put up a .936 in AAA at Frazier's age.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Of course it's the minors. I'm just projecting out what type of hitter Frazier appears to be.

Todd Frazier >>> Chris Valaika

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    And so it begins.......

Why do Reds fans have to beat up our own prospects? Especially when it comes to debating pointless stuff like this. Another winter of this stuff will drive me crazy.

Can't we just be happy that we have a polished player with a plus bat?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

How does his glove profile at the corner spots?
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    How does his glove profile at the corner spots?
    From what I heard recently, he isn't the best third baseman ever.

Turn Off Ads?