Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why the Love for Frazier?

Re: Why the Love for Frazier?

A .750 OPS makes someone a middle of the order hitter in MLB. There's a big difference between a middle of the order hitter and a superstar. Not many people are saying Frazier is a future Gary Sheffield or Manny Ramirez at the plate. But if he can OPS at least .750, he will be more than serviceable at a corner position. If the Reds have three .750 OPSers hitting in the 3-5 holes, that would likely be a below average lineup. But if the Reds have an .800 OPSer sandwiched between two .750 OPSers, that's not a bad middle of the lineup as long as they're not embarrassing themselves in the other facets of the game.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    A .750 OPS makes someone a middle of the order hitter in MLB. If the Reds have three .750 OPSers hitting in the 3-5 holes, that would likely be a below average lineup. But if the Reds have an .800 OPSer sandwiched between two .750 OPSers, that's not a bad middle of the lineup as long as they're not embarrassing themselves in the other facets of the game.

A .800 OPSer sandwiched between two .750 OPSers in the middle of the lineup would be one of the worst hitting teams in the majors, ala the current addition of the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    A .800 OPSer sandwiched between two .750 OPSers in the middle of the lineup would be one of the worst hitting teams in the majors, ala the current addition of the Reds.
    You're right. I was looking at the wrong chart when I posted that. I thought that number was a bit low.

You're right. I was looking at the wrong chart when I posted that. I thought that number was a bit low.
    I think what you meant to say was that a .900 OPSer between two .800 OPSers would make a decent middle of the order. Right?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Frazier should be a good defensive third baseman or first baseman. He was a below average shortstop. I have been told that some key people within the Reds organization feel that Frazier projects as a major league starter-grade player while Valaika projects as a utility type. However, Valaika hit a little better in Chattanooga than some might have expected.

Some things about Frazier that don't show up in his OPS. Number one, he is the best leader in the farm system. He is going to be the heart and soul of whatever team he is on and is the kind of guy that other players will go to war with. If you listen to many of the criticisms of the big league club in recent years, that is the thing that has really been missing, and Frazier will be a huge upgrade on that from day one. He will make every player around him better because of the energy and intensity he brings to the field every day and the respect he generates from his teammates. Beyond that, he has tremendous baseball instincts. While he has only average speed, he is a great base runner because of his ability to read and react instinctively. If I were to describe him with one word, the word would be "winner." He is the kind of guy that good teams need on their team.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I think what you meant to say was that a .900 OPSer between two .800 OPSers would make a decent middle of the order. Right?
    I meant two .800 OPSers between an .850 OPSer, actually. (I really suck at multitasking; it doesn't help that one of my 'tasks' is drinking beer.)

Anyway, if those are your 3-5 hitters, you'll need to bank on your other hitters being average or better hitters, but my point is basically this: If Todd Frazier becomes about a .270/.350/.460 hitter, he certainly won't be a star, but he'll be good, no matter which corner position he plays.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Anyway, if those are your 3-5 hitters, you'll need to bank on your other hitters being average or better hitters.....
    And if those hitters are average or better hitters, they'll be the ones hitting 3-5.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    And if those hitters are average or better hitters, they'll be the ones hitting 3-5.
    Is this a Dusty Baker joke? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    From what I heard recently, he isn't the best third baseman ever.
    Doug, you seem to be the guy that follows the prospects at the highest level. If Frazier is big time MLB potential, whom I've already heard (most likely from you), is no MLB SS, and now you question his ability at 3rd, where do you see him in the future? 2nd? OF? Trade bait?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Doug, you seem to be the guy that follows the prospects at the highest level. If Frazier is big time MLB potential, whom I've already heard (most likely from you), is no MLB SS, and now you question his ability at 3rd, where do you see him in the future? 2nd? OF? Trade bait?
    Corner outfield is likely what I am hearing, although I do think he could be servicable at third, he isn't likely to be a real average defender there. He has some problems with his throws from third, not really an arm strength thing, just slow with getting the ball moving.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Corner outfield is likely what I am hearing, although I do think he could be servicable at third, he isn't likely to be a real average defender there. He has some problems with his throws from third, not really an arm strength thing, just slow with getting the ball moving.
    So who is gone?

I wonder what Walt's list is with Yonder, Votto, Fraizer, Edwin, Soto, and Fransisco.

6 players for 3 spots, all who are already here or within 2 years.

my list of those guys goes in order of most untouchable
    1.Votto
    2.Alonso ETA late 2009
    3.Soto ETA mid 2010
    4.Fraizer ETA mid-late 2009
    5.Edwin
    6.Fransisco ETA late 2010

prediction Fransisco traded over the winter
    Edwin traded at deadline, Fraizer takes over at 3rd for now
    Alonso traded winter 2009, one of the lefty 1b's need to go, the leader and "vet" stays

2011 1b Votto, 3b Soto, LF Fraizer.
    Last edited by redhawk61; 08-30-2008 at 11:57 PM.

I very highly doubt Alonso gets traded.

I still think he'd be a terrific prospect as a catcher if the organization could sell him on the idea.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    I still think he'd be a terrific prospect as a catcher if the organization could sell him on the idea.
    I said that in another thread as well. We know he's played some catcher at some point in his amateur career, so he's bound to have the fundamentals down. That means a lot, because you're talking about a different throwing motion, and a different mentality. Everything for a catcher happens within about a 2-3 foot circle. That's unique to the position. Having played a lot of catcher, I'll say 1B would be the easiest to transition from. That's where I played whenever I wasn't catching, and a lot of the skills are similar.

People have transitioned to catcher before. Brandon Inge was a pitcher as an amateur (I got a hit off of him in American Legion when I was 14 ...and telling everybody that is pretty much the whole reason I brought it up! HA!).

But seriously, I wish they'd consider it, outlandish as it sounds. His bat could make him a perennial All-Star at catcher, and you have to admit, he does look like a catcher.

He is said to have a plus arm at times

Turn Off Ads?