Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Official Kentucky vs. Louisville Football Game Thread

The Official Kentucky vs. Louisville Football Game Thread

Okay, it is time for UK and Louisville fans to begin the discussion....

We are now EXACTLY 48 hours away from the kickoff of one of the most anticipated seasons in the history of Kentucky football.

Here is a little blurb to get the juices pumping for those who like the Big Blue:

SCOUTING THE OFFENSE: It will be interesting to see just how different this offense is without prolific quarterback Andre Woodson, who fueled an aggressive downfield passing attack the past two seasons. But Woodson, along with his four top weapons, is in the NFL, leaving offensive coordinator Joker Phillips with an offense lacking playmakers. Most expect Phillips to become more run-oriented, but the Wildcats' running game benefited mightily from the passing game. Without some kind of deep threat, the draws and delays, which were effective last season, might not have the same kind of success.

SCOUTING THE DEFENSE: Loaded with future NFL talent, the Wildcats are expected to feature their best defense in Rich Brooks' tenure. To reach its full potential, the unit that returns seven starters will need to improve in two key areas from last season. The Wildcats struggled to stop the run, surrendering close to 200 rushing yards per game. They were also last in the SEC in third-down defense.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "We want to have the best defense in the country. I know Kentucky's been known for offense for 100 years, but it's our time to step up. We've got guys that can start on other SEC teams, and that's a key. Usually if you have a great team, you have a lot of draft picks. And we have some guys that will get drafted. That's another key." -- defensive coordinator Steve Brown.
    and this one as well....

Brooks pleased with second scrimmage
    Chip Cosby / Herald-Leader Staff Writer

The offense was on the spot during the University of Kentucky’s second scrimmage yesterday, and while no statistics were released, the first words that came out of Rich Brooks’ mouth automatically meant a better showing for the much-maligned unit.

“We did score touchdowns today,” Brooks said, noting that most of the scrimmage pitted the first-team offense against the second-team defense and vice versa.

The offense was kept out of the end zone in the first scrimmage last week, which sparked concerns about the unit heading into next Sunday’s opener at Louisville.

Brooks said that the offensive line, under the microscope after being called out by him last week, showed improvement yesterday. The quarterbacks were not allowed to be hit, but Brooks estimated there would have been only two sacks if the quarterbacks took contact.

“The protection was much better today,” he said. “There were some good runs made, there were some holes, there was some push moving the pile. It looked more like what I thought it was going to look today than it did last week.”

Brooks said it’s still hard to get a good read on exactly where his team’s at.

“It’s a little scary obviously because you never know who’s doing something good or who’s doing not so good because you’re going against yourself,” Brooks said. “But there were a lot of good individual plays today.”

Brooks will put the players through a light practice Sunday before giving them the day off on Monday. The Wildcats will start their normal game week routine on Tuesday.

“We didn’t look as quick as we needed to be today,” Brooks said. “We need to freshen up and get some bounce back in our step now.”

Brooks said the only real disappointment from the scrimmage was the performance of kicker Lones Seiber.

“He missed several field goals that he’s got to make,” he said.

Season ticket sales surpass ’07

With UK’s home opener less than two weeks away, more than 52,800 season tickets have been issued, already surpassing the total for 2007.

For the general public, less than 700 season tickets remain at a cost of $230 (upper level sideline) or $195 (upper level goal line) each. At this time, the only way for the public to acquire tickets for the South Carolina and Georgia games is by purchasing a season ticket.

The 52,800 number includes 5,540 season tickets purchased by students. Student sales continue at a brisk pace and the final number is expected to surpass the student record of 5,568 season tickets bought last year.

“The fans have been great,” Brooks said. “It’s obvious they’re anticipating the upcoming season as well. I’m hopeful that we can close out the remaining tickets in the next couple of weeks and have a complete sellout in season tickets, which we’re very close to doing. Now we need all of them in there screaming like crazy at every home game.”

The UK athletics ticket office, located in the Joe Craft Center, has extended window hours until the first home game. Ticket office window sales will be available from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, through Sept. 5. Tickets also can be purchased online at www.ukathletics.com. The phone number is 800-928-CATS or (859) 257-1818. Wildcat fans broke every school record for attendance last season: total attendance of 550,588 in eight home games; average attendance of 68,824 per game, and a single-game record of 71,024 for the Florida game.

Pulley on TV

Wildcat fans can catch former UK quarterback Curtis Pulley on the airwaves several times throughout the season. Pulley enrolled at Florida A&M this week, and the Rattlers are on either ESPNU or ESPN Classic three times. They play at Delaware State on Thursday, Sept. 4 on ESPNU, host Winston Salem State Thursday, Oct. 9 on ESPNU, and host Bethune-Cookman Sat. Nov. 22 on ESPN Classic.

‘Tom’s Top 25 Calls’ set for Aug. 30

Tom’s Top 25 Calls, a countdown of UK play-by-play announcer Tom Leach’s most memorable moments on the microphone, will air Saturday, Aug. 30 at 9 p.m. on WKYT-TV. Leach has been calling Kentucky football games since 1997. Quarterbacks Tim Couch and Andre Woodson were directly involved in four of the plays — tying for the most of any individual. The 2006 season had the most plays to make the list. Once the countdown gets to the Top 10, there will be interviews with players and coaches talking about the specific plays.

Tom’s Top 25 Calls is preceded by Dave Baker’s SEC preview at 8, and a UK preview featuring Rob Bromley and former UK quarterback Tim Couch at 8:30.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Official Kentucky vs. Louisville Football Game Thread

I'm a Louisville fan, and I expect both teams to be pretty down. Hopefully the senior Cantwell can avoid making mistakes that the green sophomore Hartline cannot avoid and it turns out to be the difference.

3 Time CY Young winner

Who is Cantwell going to throw it too?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm a Louisville fan, and I expect both teams to be pretty down. Hopefully the senior Cantwell can avoid making mistakes that the green sophomore Hartline cannot avoid and it turns out to be the difference.
    I would be ecstatic with an 7-5 season for UK.

If I had to predict:

Louisville: Toss up. Both teams are going to be down. How Kragthorpe adjusts after last years abomination will be key. Whether Kentucky has the receivers to replace Burton or Johnson however is another story.

Norfolk State: Kentucky

Middle Tennessee: Kentucky

Western Kentucky: Kentucky

at Alabama: Alabama. Tuscaloosa is a tough place to play. The only thing Kentucky has is that Alabama is a young team growing under Saban. There is just too much talent on the field though at a hostile stadium.

South Carolina: South Carolina. I want to say playing at Commonwealth would help Kentucky, but Spurrier has always had the Cats number every year.

Arkansas: Kentucky. New coaching staff, Mallett has to sit a year. Kentucky will have the advantage.

at Florida: Florida. Anybody who thinks Kentucky will win this game needs to take off the blue tinted homer shades.

at Mississippi State: Kentucky. Its a road game, but Croom will be fighting for his job.

Georgia: Georgia. See Florida

Vanderbilt: Kentucky. The opposite of what I said about Florida. Might be different if Jay Cutler was the QB.

at Tennessee: Tennessee. See South Carolina. I also like Jon Crompton and think he will do well in getting the Vols back.
    So basically, if Kentucky is going to get a bowl bid, its going to hinge on the Louisville game.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by roundboy22 View Post
    Who is Cantwell going to throw it too?
    Trevard Lindley

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If I had to predict:

So basically, if Kentucky is going to get a bowl bid, its going to hinge on the Louisville game.
    I agree with you WV, I think you called it (On the whole season picks.) I will go ahead and predict a UK win in Louisville. UL offense is not the steamroller they have been for the past 8-10 seasons. UK defense is up this year. Anyone who follows these two teams knows this is usually not the scenario. Cats 27-20.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

part of BBN

I think it is a toss up.
    I thought all offseason...UK may have better chance just for this one game with Pulley in there because..the scrambling type gave Uof L fits last year.

Well...Pulley is gone now......but dont be surprised to see Cobb in there if Hartline struggles. Cobb has an excellent arm and can run the ball also. As a true freshman..he moved ahead of Fidler for the second string.

I am thinking the cats can put in the 17-24 point range and am hoping with Jarmon , Peters, Johnson and co on defense..that will be enough.

In a side note...congrats to the cats on landing two of the top QB'S in next seasons class: Morgan Newton & Ryan Massakowi.

I like Massakowski's father response on if his son would still come after Newton signed.
    Cant remember exact words or teams he used as an example but it was something like this:
    "yes of course...if he had went to florida or texas...he would have faced quality competition for the QB spot"

Massakowski is out of texas and Newton out of Indiana.
    Here is a clip I found of Massakowski:
    The kid is 6'4. sees the field well. throws on the run. accurate.

Massakowski's team won their opener 71-20 btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZGGWR4jMJA
    Last edited by jmac; 08-30-2008 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollcat View Post
    Trevard Lindley
    Sounds good to me....

Actually, I think Lindley could get some All-American consideration this year.

Wow. Two very terrible offenses. It's amazing how much trouble the Louisville receivers had doing such a simple thing as catching the ball.

I give credit to Kentucky. Their defense was much better than I thought it would be. It will be interesting to see how they stack up against a quality offense.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Wow. Two very terrible offenses. It's amazing how much trouble the Louisville receivers had doing such a simple thing as catching the ball.

I give credit to Kentucky. Their defense was much better than I thought it would be. It will be interesting to see how they stack up against a quality offense.
    It honestly looked like the Louisville receivers had problems finding the ball when it was coming to them. The ball would hit them before they knew it was coming. As a group, they looked pretty lost.

Color me as unimpressed in regards to Cantwell. There's been so much hype surrounding this guy, and I just don't see it. Sure, he's got a cannon, and his receivers didn't help him any. But his accuracy isn't outstanding, and it takes him FOREVER to release the ball. I thought Leftwich was bad, but he makes Leftwich look like he gets rid of the ball in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    I agree with you WV, I think you called it (On the whole season picks.) I will go ahead and predict a UK win in Louisville. UL offense is not the steamroller they have been for the past 8-10 seasons. UK defense is up this year. Anyone who follows these two teams knows this is usually not the scenario. Cats 27-20.
    There was a typo in my last reply, I meant 27-2 (note the unintended extra 0)
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

I never anticipated Kentucky's defense to look as good as they did. True, Louisville's offense isn't what it once was but UK impressed me.

The offense failed to impress but it's just the first game. I believe they'll improve. Could be another fun year for UK fans.

the "star" of the game was the fantastic freshman Cobb. He's a playmaker.

I would give Hartline another start. If he fails to impress, I would start Cobb as the QB. He's the real deal.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Turn Off Ads?