Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neftali Soto cracks this weeks Prospect Hot Sheet

Neftali Soto cracks this weeks Prospect Hot Sheet

No. 10 NEFTALI SOTO, 3B REDS

Team: low Class A Dayton (Midwest)
    Why He's Here: .429/.433/.714, 12-for-28, 2 2B, 2 HR, 8 RBI, 0 BB, 6 SO, 0-for-1 SB
    The Scoop: Soto has come close to making the Hot Sheet several times over the last few weeks, but here he finally breaks through in the season's final week. After slugging his way out of the Rookie-level Pioneer League by mid July, Soto has continued tearing the cover off the ball in the Midwest League. He's hitting .332/.350/.502 in 205 at-bats for Dayton, and he's currently riding a 13-game hitting streak while helping lead his team to the Midwest League playoffs. He still hasn't been walking that much, but his smooth stroke and great hand-eye coordination have helped him limit his strikeouts to 35 in his 49 games with the Dragons.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...08/266782.html

BA will be holding a chat at 2:30.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Neftali Soto cracks this weeks Prospect Hot Sheet

Everyone should ask about how good of a prospect Soto is currently and hopefully someone will get an answer. I would love to get a better feeler on how they are feeling about Soto compared to some of us.

I sent in two questions. I asked them to rank Soto/Alonso/Frazier in order of who the best prospect is, and if Juan Duran and Yorman Rodriguez would crack their top 10 Reds prospects list.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 08-29-2008 at 01:53 PM.

It is hard to compare Soto and Frazier because there is such a difference in age/experience but they would both have to be in the Reds' top 5. Soto is just a great hitter for his age. His one weakness is below average speed and he will probably become a poorer runner when he puts on weight to his 180 pound frame. He is already fairly slow as it is and when he adds 25 pounds, he might be dreadfully slow. Soto is not as good defensively at third base as Waring but has far more potential as a hitter. Right now, Soto is a 15-20 home run hitter but I would expect that to go to 25, maybe even 30. The reference to not walking a lot makes me laugh a little. The last thing anyone wants him doing right now is going up there trying to draw a walk. He is the guy that is going to have to drive in the runs, not leave it up to someone else to drive them in. He is the kind of hitter that wins games for you with big hits with men on base. He is the most consistent threat the Dragons have in the lineup offensively. When he starts walking more, the team will start scoring fewer runs.

I'm not sure the success of Dayton's team is as important as the development of Soto as a player. He seems to be a tremendous hitter but as he progresses, pitchers will figure out that they can get him out by pitching him out of the strike zone. That is unless he is an exceptional talent that can get hits off bad pitches like Vlad. Doesn't happen too often. While Dusty may not thinking taking pitches/walks is important, historically the best players in the game swing at strikes and let the bad ones go by.

Having said all that, I am still very anxious to see how he does at the next level. Seems like he has a chance to be a really good player. Thanks for the update.

Bumstead

he only has a 16.5 % K rate. Its not a problem of lack of plate discipline, its just if its in the zone he hits it. He's not a swing and miss guy from what I can see, he just makes pitcher regret even throwing strikes. I think he is only going to get better. As he grows up and gets more strength he is going to be a terror with his SLG% which should envoke pitchers pitching around him and more walks.

Now I am no expert, so I am not sure how much validity there is in what I said but that's how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    he only has a 16.5 % K rate. Its not a problem of lack of plate discipline, its just if its in the zone he hits it. He's not a swing and miss guy from what I can see, he just makes pitcher regret even throwing strikes. I think he is only going to get better. As he grows up and gets more strength he is going to be a terror with his SLG% which should envoke pitchers pitching around him and more walks.

Now I am no expert, so I am not sure how much validity there is in what I said but that's how I see it.
    I agree with this. He doesn't appear to chase many bad pitches as evidenced by his low strikeout total. It just looks like he puts the ball in play when it's in his strikezone.

And like I said, I am also anxious to see what he does at the next level. It will be interesting to see how the low walk rate and low strike out rate translate with his high batting average at High A and Double A. I am actually optimistic about the outcome. I just don't agree that he should be up there wailing away, refusing to take a walk.

Happy Holiday Weekend!

Bum

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    And like I said, I am also anxious to see what he does at the next level. It will be interesting to see how the low walk rate and low strike out rate translate with his high batting average at High A and Double A. I am actually optimistic about the outcome. I just don't agree that he should be up there wailing away, refusing to take a walk.

Happy Holiday Weekend!

Bum
    He's not wailing away, he is swinging at pitches that he can make good contact with...it just happens to be that he can make good contact with almost anything in the zone it seems.

I had both of my questions answered:

Q: Brandon from Charleston, WV asks:
    How would you rank Neftali Soto, Yonder Alonso, and Todd Frazier?

A: John Manuel: Alonso, Soto, Frazier.

Q: Brandon from Charleston, WV asks:
    Will Juan Duran or Yorman Rodriguez crack the Reds top 10 prospects?

A: John Manuel: Yes on Duran, I'll say maybe on Yorman. Gonna be a new look atop the Reds' list with Bruce, Cueto, even Homer and also Votto gone.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...08/266783.html

So what do you guys think BA Reds Top 10 will look like? I believe it will look something like this, just from some of the coments in the chats:

1. Yonder Alonso
    2. Neftali Soto
    3. Drew Stubbs
    4. Todd Frazier
    5. Chris Valakia
    6. Juan Duran
    7. Juan Francisco
    8. Daryl Thompson
    9. Kyle Lotzkar
    10. Devin Mesoraco/Yorman Rodriguez

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    So what do you guys think BA Reds Top 10 will look like? I believe it will look something like this, just from some of the coments in the chats:

1. Yonder Alonso
    2. Neftali Soto
    3. Drew Stubbs
    4. Todd Frazier
    5. Chris Valakia
    6. Juan Duran
    7. Juan Francisco
    8. Daryl Thompson
    9. Kyle Lotzkar
    10. Devin Mesoraco/Yorman Rodriguez
    I'd be surprised if Stubbs isn't #2, maybe even 1.

Soto, having not played AA yet, won't move up that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I'd be surprised if Stubbs isn't #2, maybe even 1.

Soto, having not played AA yet, won't move up that fast.
    They do it based on potential, which Soto has arguably more than any of them at this point....Alonso being 21 is the reason he gets the nod over Soto right now

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Right now I have it
    Soto
    Alonso
    Frazier/Stubbs (tie)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    They do it based on potential, which Soto has arguably more than any of them at this point....Alonso being 21 is the reason he gets the nod over Soto right now

Soto more potential than Alonso and Stubbs???

If they all reach their ceiling, Stubbs and Alonso will likely be miles ahead of Soto. Stubbs is more of a risk to miss that ceiling to be sure, but his potential is there.

Turn Off Ads?