Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rick Sweet?

Rick Sweet?

How come Rick Sweet AAA manager doesn't get a look with the big league club other than his current duties as I believe catching instructor and manager at Louiville. Louiville is doing great as they always seem to do and guys like Bruce and Dickerson excel at AAA then come up and don't perform as well as down there. I think Sweet should get a shot to stay with the Reds and possibly have him replace Baker.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rick Sweet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fazio View Post
    How come Rick Sweet AAA manager doesn't get a look with the big league club other than his current duties as I believe catching instructor and manager at Louiville. Louiville is doing great as they always seem to do and guys like Bruce and Dickerson excel at AAA then come up and don't perform as well as down there. I think Sweet should get a shot to stay with the Reds and possibly have him replace Baker.
    b/c this is the bigs

Just like the chance we gave Dave Miley
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    Just like the chance we gave Dave Miley
    yeah, i was thinking the same. that worked out really well...

by the way Dickerson is doing better in the majors than he did in AAA
    And how many other players have helped this club out, coming from AAA (with a lot of playing time in AAA - 50 or less at bats in AAA and 20 or less innings pitched don't count). I think our AAA has not done enough to make our younger players ready for big league play. I think they just care about winning. If you are not the major league manager, your job should be to improve the players game. Who cares if Louisville wins, I want Cincinnati to win. The only time I go to Louisville to watch games, is if a up and coming prospect is playing in the game. I don't want to see 30 year old players playing for a minor league championship.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Honestly, I have no objection to the nature of your post but, using Dickerson as an example of how talented players underperform in the bigs almost kills your entire point. He's the best positional player on this team right now.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Miley got screwed with a crappy roster and pitching staff.

I'm hoping Dickerson continues his success... even after NL pitchers make some adjustments and find holes in his swing.

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    by the way Dickerson is doing better in the majors than he did in AAA
    And how many other players have helped this club out, coming from AAA (with a lot of playing time in AAA - 50 or less at bats in AAA and 20 or less innings pitched don't count). I think our AAA has not done enough to make our younger players ready for big league play. I think they just care about winning. If you are not the major league manager, your job should be to improve the players game. Who cares if Louisville wins, I want Cincinnati to win. The only time I go to Louisville to watch games, is if a up and coming prospect is playing in the game. I don't want to see 30 year old players playing for a minor league championship.
    are you serious with the bolded comment?? sure AAA managers like to win, but you should go back and see how each pitcher is used (note that position players are played on a regular basis). i'm sure Rick Sweet has done a great job of preparing his players (pitchers and position) for the big leagues - or at least put them in a position to succeed. Now whether they have succeeded or not, that's pretty much their fault.

You say you don't want to see a 30 year old player who is playing for a championship, but what do you really think a AAA club is?? It's basically a "holding tank" for necessary call-ups with a few exceptions (those younger that are ready to compete at the AAA level).

Oh yes, the Reds organization has done such a fine job preparing players for the majors over the past decade. That is why our players have such hard time putting a bunt down, or hitting the ball the other way. Going back to when Dave Miley was AAA manager, people thought he did such a good job, but he showed he couldn't coach the big league style either. Now sure, I am not blaming the fact that Bruce is having problems, or that Bailey has struggled on Sweet or Reds coaches. But they should get some of the blame. Coaches should be held responsible for the play of some of the players. As for your holding tank comment, do you think Drew Anderson, Kevin Barker, Aaron Herr, Luis Bolivar, and Andy Green (who is not with the team anymore) are necessary call-ups as you say. They got a majority of at bats this year, but I would hate to see any one of them at the major league level. How about necessary call ups in pitching: Justin Lehr (who was lights out in AAA, but the Reds will never bring him or they would have already), Adam Pettyjohn, Jon Adkins, Tom Shearn (no longer with the team). All of these guys have done well in AAA but apparently will never be or never were called up. How are they necessary call-ups.
    Do I think Sweet is a bad manager, no. Do I think he is doing a bad job in AAA, no. I just don't think we should make a AAA manager our manager again for a while, and I do think that our minor league organization needs to better prepare our players for big league play.

Turn Off Ads?