Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dickerson

Dickerson

Okay, so he went 3-5 tonight.

But that has nothing to do with this post. Just coincidence.

You can be a 5-tool player, but if you can't hit, it doesn't matter what you're other physical tools are. Dickerson has a quick bat. That homer he hit tonight was all bat speed. I was impressed.

My opinion is that if he continues to be selective at the plate, he will stick. He can hit and do things others cannot do. He got moved from CF to LF late in the game, and someone hit one down the line. He got to it so fast, he held the hitter to a single. Dunn would have never done that. I was impressed again.

I think we found our future CFer. I hope his plate selectivity continues. He has alot of potential.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dickerson

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Okay, so he went 3-5 tonight.

But that has nothing to do with this post. Just coincidence.

You can be a 5-tool player, but if you can't hit, it doesn't matter what you're other physical tools are. Dickerson has a quick bat. That homer he hit tonight was all bat speed. I was impressed.

My opinion is that if he continues to be selective at the plate, he will stick. He can hit and do things others cannot do. He got moved from CF to LF late in the game, and someone hit one down the line. He got to it so fast, he held the hitter to a single. Dunn would have never done that. I was impressed again.

I think we found our future CFer. I hope his plate selectivity continues. He has alot of potential.
    Actually, if you can't hit then you can't be a 5 tool player.

I agree. The rap against him in the minors was that his bat was too slow for the majors. I have no idea where that came from.

I agree his main problem, like all young hitters, is pitch recognition, which has lead to too many K's. But I would have no problem with the Reds going into next year with Dickerson in CF. Before he came up, many thought that even if he hit just .250 with 15 HR's, he would be worth it because of his defense. It looks like he should be able to do better than that next year.

Attack Cat!

The Reds have so many other holes to try and fill in the lineup next year that I don't think they'll have any choice other then to play him.

I'm still skeptical, but between Dickerson and Stubbs, the situation could be worse.

It's a shame this kid was kept in AAA because we had a better player AKA Patterson.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

There were so many question marks with him, that he appeared to be maybe a 4th/5th OF. But so far, uhhhh, could the Reds maybe have stumbled over a bona-fide MLB CF that can lead off? Dunno yet, time will tell if he is the real deal or just a younger "Freelesque" super-sub.
    Last edited by gedred69; 08-30-2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: grammar

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I've seen Dickerson play in person twice now and I really like this guy (I have watched him on TV a bit too). He plays well in the outfield (he was in CF for my first game and was in LF tonight) and he has a lot of poise and composure at the plate too. I'd like to see what he can do with a full season here so I hope they bring him back next season. This guy is also extremely fast! He hit a triple to lead off the game tonight and he was FLYING around the bases. I half wondered if he could have made that an inside the park HR if our right field line was even just five or ten feet bigger. Wow!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

There was a group of guys in left field that cheered him on the entire game and he was smiling from ear to ear. At the end of the game, AFTER the team had gone through the line and congratulated each other, he trotted back out to left field with a ball in hand and tossed it up to the group. It was a really cool exchange between he and the group. You could tell he really appreciated the support and enthusiasm they provided!

I like him a lot so far, but AAAA players usually have a little more success this time of year. I hope Dickerson continues to impress enough to justify the job for 2009. Not sure why he is in left if he has a chance to be the future in cf. Is this just a chance for Patterson to get above .200 ??? Maybe they found out somebody was going to rename the Mendoza line after Corey Patterson or something...
    -trade Gonzo and low prospect to SD for K.Greene
    -move Votto to lf, Dickerson to cf
    -sign Tiexera to play 1b
    -sign pudge as back up c to Hannigan

Quote Originally Posted by walk-off View Post
    I like him a lot so far, but AAAA players usually have a little more success this time of year. I hope Dickerson continues to impress enough to justify the job for 2009. Not sure why he is in left if he has a chance to be the future in cf. Is this just a chance for Patterson to get above .200 ??? Maybe they found out somebody was going to rename the Mendoza line after Corey Patterson or something...
    So your logic in saying that he's a AAAA player is that he just came up from the minors and is having some success at this time of the year? It sure sounds like that's what you are saying. The only thing that Dunn has on this guy is power. Dickerson is better than Dunn and Patterson (no surprise there). And, is there some kind of popularity contest going on as to who can come up with the best cliches when trashing a guy?

Quote Originally Posted by aerontg View Post
    So your logic in saying that he's a AAAA player is that he just came up from the minors and is having some success at this time of the year? It sure sounds like that's what you are saying. The only thing that Dunn has on this guy is power. Dickerson is better than Dunn and Patterson (no surprise there). And, is there some kind of popularity contest going on as to who can come up with the best cliches when trashing a guy?
    Trashing??? Perhaps you need to go back to school and address your inablity to comprehend what you read. I said "I hope Dickerson continues to impress enough to justify the job for 2009." How is that trashing??? I also did not call him a AAAA player nor did I ever mention Dunn.

My point is AAAA players do tend to hit better this time of year. Remember a guy named Brandon Larson??? Giving Dickerson an extended chance well in to next season could help rule out that possibility. The only guy I trashed was Patterson because he is wasting cf. Dickerson should be dropped in cf only and not touched for atleast 1 calander year.
    -trade Gonzo and low prospect to SD for K.Greene
    -move Votto to lf, Dickerson to cf
    -sign Tiexera to play 1b
    -sign pudge as back up c to Hannigan

I'd wait for a larger sample size before letting this kid start in '09.

I think Dickerson is going to have a very good Career. I know he hasnt played much, but his speed and defense alone will make up for any problems he might have with his bat. Most teams are looking for a stud defensively in center and can handle a lower hitting CF.

However, I think that Dickerson is going to be an above average hitter. I think he struggled in the minors because of the inconsistent pitching of the pitchers. That can cause you chase a little more and take stuff that wouldnt be a strike in the bigs but is in the minors.

He also changed his approach to the plate a little bit so I think that is paying him huge dividends too. Overall this guy is probably going to be one of those solid guys that came out of nowhere. And you cant teach speed, and he gives us a dimension we havent had for years. I dont care what he does in ST, he should be starting next year.

patterson would be a fine 4th outfielder.. this is his worst year in his career!!

He's hitting the ball solidly.

He's driving it to the outfield with every swing.

He only hit 11 groundballs in August of players in the NL with at least 75 PA's. The next closest was 16.

He's seeing the ball really well right now.

Turn Off Ads?