Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso interview Saturday

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Yonder Alonso interview Saturday

Eric over at Baseball Digest Daily is going to have Alonso on at 12:00ET and the podcast will be available there all week for listening. Hopefully we can get a little insight into how he goes about his game. Just a heads up.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yonder Alonso interview Saturday

Good looking out. I'll check it out. Thank you.

Going to today's Sarasota game just so I can see the big guy.....
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Going to today's Sarasota game just so I can see the big guy.....
    We expect a full report upon your return.

like what I heard, how he already has an understanding of how he needs to adjust his game to the wood bat by hitting pitches more out front. It would be nice to see a break down of his Cape Cod stats to see if he started out slow there before he adjusted his game and had the success there that he did.

Said he was going to instructional league...what exactly does the instructional league entail, is it just workouts, scrimmages, and such?
    Last edited by redhawk61; 08-30-2008 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    like what I heard, how he already has an understanding of how he needs to adjust his game to the wood bat by hitting pitches more out front. It would be nice to see a break down of his Cape Cod stats to see if he started out slow there before he adjusted his game and had the success there that he did.

Said he was going to instructional league...what exactly does the instructional league entail, is it just workouts, scrimmages, and such?
    It's more than just workouts. They actually do play games in the instructional league. It's basically a 'catching up' league for players who were injured a lot of the year, guys who need to work on the mechanics of their game, players who didn't get as much work as the club would have liked, etc.

Thanks I enjoyed hearing that.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Eric San

No problem guys, I enjoyed talking with him. I've been able to snag a few to prospects so far (Chris Tillman, Austin Jackson, Aaron Crow, etc.) and I love breaking down their approaches to the game.

Feel free to check out any other podcasts that might interest you as well, and I'll make sure I fill in this group should I get someone else that interests you.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/baseballdigestdaily

Eric SanInocencio

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Kind of disappointing to hear that he hasn't gotten a lot of direction from the Reds management, even if it only had been a couple days.

But he sounds like a pretty smart baseball player. Hope to see him do well and get up to the big club fast.

If the REDS recalled Alonzo tomorrow instead of next September, does this effect his Major League Baseball service dates, such as when he's eligible for arbitration and restricted or unrestricted Free Agency?

If it doesn't, bring him up. He may be that good.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Kind of disappointing to hear that he hasn't gotten a lot of direction from the Reds management, even if it only had been a couple days.

But he sounds like a pretty smart baseball player. Hope to see him do well and get up to the big club fast.
    In a game where his teammates were shut out today, he was on base all 4 times (2 Singles, 2 Walks).

http://diamondbacks.scout.com/2/442895.html

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...milb&fext=.jsp

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...evchanges.html

These are some articles about the instructional leagues, the extra coaching and one on one involvement of coaches. The last tidbit is about coming changes, like the GCL and Arizona Leagues being eliminated and Instructional leagues replacing them, with the short season teams moving to the Appalachian League possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    If the REDS recalled Alonzo tomorrow instead of next September, does this effect his Major League Baseball service dates, such as when he's eligible for arbitration and restricted or unrestricted Free Agency?

If it doesn't, bring him up. He may be that good.
    Yeah, his service time would start a little earlier. It would add close to 0.030 on his service time, which probably won't make a difference when it comes time for arbitration.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 09-01-2008 at 01:54 AM.

he already has a major league contract so his service time is already started.

Crosley Field Fan

Nice interview...thanks for sharing.

I for one am glad they are observing him before deciding what if anything needs to be changed. Coaches can add value by changing a player but they can also add value by not changing something that doesn't really need to be changed.

Being we are upon the end of the minor league season...I'd much rather they get to observe him first hand and not even discuss possible adjustments till this fall when he has all winter to work on it.

Turn Off Ads?